Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bravo -Pabs - lovely sensitive orchestration and a splendid performance too . Just a shame we did not get all eleven from them tonight !

Stephan piece was interesting and rather more appealing to me than the Kelly .

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      Bravo -Pabs - lovely sensitive orchestration and a splendid performance too . Just a shame we did not get all eleven from them tonight !

I'd go along with all that and would add praise for the excellent enunciation of the poems from Roderick Williams.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Thanks - I listened to it and it works well in orchestral colours (many songs wouldn't) doesn't it? I'd have liked all eleven to have been done, partly because "Bredon Hill" and "On the Idle Hill of Summer" are substantial pieces and gave really good opportunities for orchestration.

Second half soon...

Comment

Great stuff,thanks Pabmusic.
          Lovely first half,and the wonder that is RVW 3 (with a tenor!)to come.

Comment

How lovely that this concert is being introduced by Penny Gore - what a professional she is compared to Trelawney and Derham.

Comment

Comment

Some weren't sure when to start applauding,at least let me wipe away the tears first.
                Manze is the man.
                Penny Gore quoting the great man 'no lambkins frisking here'.

Absolutely heartbreaking music,for me anyhow,and this performance hit the spot.

Comment

Yes, I must second that. Excellent all round.

Comment

How lovely that this concert is being introduced by Penny Gore - what a professional she is compared to Trelawney and Derham.
                    H'mmm. Pity she said that Frederick Kelly won a medal in the 1908 Olympics for the English rowing team.

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                      H'mmm. Pity she said that Frederick Kelly won a medal in the 1908 Olympics for the English rowing team.
                      I missed that one, but yes.

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        Where was the error. Kelly was certainly in the Gold winning Eight.

Comment

Great Britain?
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            Ah. Lenin made a not dissimilar error re. the Scottish communist John MacLean, referring to him as "MacLean of England".

Comment

To quote the RVW3 score's 4th movement instructions: "Soprano or Tenor Solo (Distant)" with the vocal line additionally cued into the clarinet part "to be played by 1st clarinet when there is no vocal soloist." I wonder if anyone remembers Andre Previn doing just that in an RFH performance many years ago, when Jack Brymer played the vocal part on his clarinet, thus saving on the expense of engaging a soprano for a minute or so of music. Incidentally, was the "distant" tenor stationed up in the gallery tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by seabright View Post
                                Incidentally, was the "distant" tenor stationed up in the gallery tonight?
                                No. He was singing from the organ seat, just above the bust of Sir Henry Wood. A pity - I had assumed the Gallery would have been used.
                                Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Working...
                                X