Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 53 - 26.08.14: 'Brahms Night', Budapest Festival Orchestra / I. Fischer

Tuesday, 26 August
    7.00 p.m. – c 9.05 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

Brahms:
    (a) Symphony No. 3 in F

(b) Symphony No. 4 in E minor

Budapest Festival Orchestra
    Iván Fischer, conductor

The second of two concerts by Iván Fischer and the Budapest Festival Orchestra launches the Proms series of Brahms's symphonies. While the intimate, autumnal Third was inspired by a visit to the Rhine in 1883, the noble stature of the Fourth was dismissed by the composer as 'a few entr'actes and polkas which I happened to have lying about', despite it containing one of the most richly lyrical slow movements Brahms ever wrote.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 20-08-14, 17:11.

Imaginative programming?

Perhaps not.

Fine music?

Definitely.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Imaginative programming?

Perhaps not.

Fine music?

Definitely.
      This is a concert I'm really looking forward to.

Comment

Anybody going to this and the late night Beethoven?

Too good to miss, surely?!
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Just the LBV... Will be in the pub during the Brahms!

Comment

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
            Just the LBV... Will be in the pub during the Brahms!
            Your call, of course, but at london prices you would save money by doing the Brahms concert.
            Last edited by teamsaint; 23-08-14, 22:25.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

I'm tempted, though the early start may be awkward. We would definitely stay on for the JEG Missa Solemnis and might even make the journey just for that work which is quite special for me - Vom Herzen, möge es zu Herzen gehen. The last time I saw it at the Proms was at the surprising venue of Westminster Cathedral in 1971. This one

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                Fine music?

Definitely.
                Just got back in time for the slow mvt of No 3: delectable solo playing, and sounding brilliant over the airwaves.
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Just got back in time for the slow mvt of No 3: delectable solo playing, and sounding brilliant over the airwaves.
                  The BFO do indeed sound very good on the air. I need to revisit the slow movement of Brahms 3 later (phone call interruption here). Curious mix of some relatively spacious pacing in the 1st movement, with a rather brisker start in the finale, but then pulling back for the closing section.

Edit: Just heard the PA announcement about the 10 minute delay. Will be interesting to read later what happened, for anyone who's there. I hope it's nothing serious. But at least it gives a chance to hear more from the 2 BFO musicians that SM-P is chatting with now.
                  Last edited by bluestateprommer; 26-08-14, 20:10.

Comment

Second half delayed by 10 minutes. Due to SM-P chatting to two orchestra members? A player gone missing?
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

There was something going on but couldn't quite hear at the time, as was in another room.
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        There was something going on but couldn't quite hear at the time, as was in another room.
                        No explanation. Probably a duff microphone that needed replacing or some such.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                          Will be interesting to read later what happened, for anyone who's there.
                          I know teamsaint was in the arena, I wonder if anything was apparent from there...

Comment

Nothing obvious re the delay that wa evident from the arena.

Most enjoyable evening. Refined is the word spinning round in my head.
                            More later.............

(Loved the encore too....)

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Nothing obvious re the delay that wa evident from the arena.

Most enjoyable evening. Refined is the word spinning round in my head.
                              More later.............

(Loved the encore too....)

Yes, that's how it came across on the radio, exactly.

Wonder what the encore was...

Comment

Working...
                              X