Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    And many thanks to you, Alison, for recommending those DVDs.
    Could be harder to find these days I fancy ...

Comment

A bump up for this thread in advance of tonight's performance.

Following on from the Jansons/BRSO Prom last year of the Resurrection where it was notable by its absence, can we expect to hear the thunderous tones of the Royal Albert Hall organ at the very end? I do hope so.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
        A bump up for this thread in advance of tonight's performance.

Following on from the Jansons/BRSO Prom last year of the Resurrection where it was notable by its absence, can we expect to hear the thunderous tones of the Royal Albert Hall organ at the very end? I do hope so.
        Suppose it depends what pitch the Swedish orchestra play at. If A = 444 then possibly not.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
          Suppose it depends what pitch the Swedish orchestra play at. If A = 444 then possibly not.
          Yes I did wonder about the question of pitch. Trouble is they keep on giving the Mahler 2 to foreign orchestras with different pitch so we are denied the overwhelming, floor-shaking wall of sound that is the RAH organ. Perhaps next time the LPO, LSO or one of the other British orchestras can do the Resurrection so we don't have to put up with a barely audible electronic effort?
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Yes I did wonder about the question of pitch. Trouble is they keep on giving the Mahler 2 to foreign orchestras with different pitch so we are denied the overwhelming, floor-shaking wall of sound that is the RAH organ. Perhaps next time the LPO, LSO or one of the other British orchestras can do the Resurrection so we don't have to put up with a barely audible electronic effort?
            Tell me this will all be ok for the Rattle/RFH concert, Pet?!
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Tell me this will all be ok for the Rattle/RFH concert, Pet?!
              I think the Berlin Phil play at A=445 which would make the organ entrance flat. It's such a shame unless the orchestra could be persuaded to tune flat but I suspect they wouldn't go for that.

Ah well...

Comment

I think the Berlin Phil play at A=445 which would make the organ entrance flat. It's such a shame unless the orchestra could be persuaded to tune flat but I suspect they wouldn't go for that.

Ah well...
                Thanks ( I think !!) for that, PG.

could always sell the tix, £120 each currently on viagogo................

Not really.

although.......
                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Thanks ( I think !!) for that, PG.

could always sell the tix, £120 each currently on viagogo................

Not really.

although.......
                  Actually, I was more interested in tickets for the Sibelius concerts but those are like hen's teeth too. I reckon it might be cheaper to hear those concerts in Berlin at the Philharmonie (which is a vastly superior hall, anyway). Need to speak VERY nicely to Mrs. PG! (Birthdays in Berlin listening to Nordic music...)

Besides, the German's aren't keen on Sibelius anyway...

Comment

Actually, I was more interested in tickets for the Sibelius concerts but those are like hen's teeth too. I reckon it might be cheaper to hear those concerts in Berlin at the Philharmonie (which is a vastly superior hall, anyway). Need to speak VERY nicely to Mrs. PG! (Birthdays in Berlin listening to Nordic music...)

Besides, the German's aren't keen on Sibelius anyway...
                    Well my line of thinking is that of I could flog the tix for enough to fund a trip to Berlin then that might be sensible...but I am a bit off so far, and unless they go up in price a good deal.( plus Mrs TS has forbidden the sale of the tix in any case.

The Sibelius tix went in no time , sadly. Any road up, I am looking forward to the Mahler concert a great deal, and that is the main thing !

Get your timing right on that birthday request, PG, and things will work out just fine.........

Comment

Well my line of thinking is that of I could flog the tix for enough to fund a trip to Berlin then that might be sensible...but I am a bit off so far, and unless they go up in price a good deal.( plus Mrs TS has forbidden the sale of the tix in any case.

The Sibelius tix went in no time , sadly. Any road up, I am looking forward to the Mahler concert a great deal, and that is the main thing !

Get your timing right on that birthday request, PG, and things will work out just fine.........
                      I reckon that 'a bird in the hand...'etc probably applies here...

Comment

Kate Royal seems to be doing a LOT of performances of Mahler 2 recently...

Comment

Strange, I've been listening to lots of Mahler this last fortnight and just couldn't get into tonight's Resurrection.

Was anyone else not really drawn in? Perhaps multiple recordings of the Fourth and Sixth have dulled for now my appetite for the Second.

Comment

Proms Guide says 'There will be no interval' and I should think not. Mahler himself usually performed it on its own, by the way.
                            I can, though, remember when Mahler 3 usually had an interval after the 1st movement; I remember Leif Segerstam conducting the RLPO in this symphony in the early 1970's and he had an interval after the first movement and I can recall it being played that way on R3 more than once.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Strange, I've been listening to lots of Mahler this last fortnight and just couldn't get into tonight's Resurrection.

Was anyone else not really drawn in? Perhaps multiple recordings of the Fourth and Sixth have dulled for now my appetite for the Second.
                              I was unable to hear it as I would have missed the first 2 movements, but I won't be rushing to the iPlayer!

Comment

Strangely detached and lacking magic. Band pretty good, but pacing....?

Not impressed by soloists at all.

On air, the Beeb engineers seemed to turn everything down and it was a really rather dispiriting experience. Played a bit of the old Solti / LSO recording afterwards - different world, absolutely different world.

Comment

Working...
                                X