Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes but what happened during the Dance in last night's semi-staged performance? Or was it just a concert performance?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Yes but what happened during the Dance in last night's semi-staged performance? Or was it just a concert performance?
      Absolutely nothing! All singers left the stage, everything bar the music left to the imagination.

Overall it was staged only in terms of movement, gesture and a bit of lighting. No props or anything. I've seen a severed head turn up at concert performances before, but not this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon B View Post
        Absolutely nothing! All singers left the stage, everything bar the music left to the imagination.

Overall it was staged only in terms of movement, gesture and a bit of lighting. No props or anything. I've seen a severed head turn up at concert performances before, but not this time.
        Following recent events perhaps it was thought to be in bad taste?
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          Following recent events perhaps it was thought to be in bad taste?
          If "bad taste" were a criterion, I'm not sure Salome would ever be performed at all, any time, any place!

Comment

Aurally, very enjoyable, imo. (Radiowise).
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
              If "bad taste" were a criterion, I'm not sure Salome would ever be performed at all, any time, any place!
              I've always loved the story of the Lord Chamberlain's office trying to 'christianise' the story by insisting that the Star of Bethlehem rose over the last scene at the first London performance!
              Beecham once attended a rehearsal of Salome in a small European city, where the exasperated director called out " Where is the Prophet!" Sir Thomas said that he was not sure if he was referring to the Baptist or the financial state of the company!

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Aurally, very enjoyable, imo. (Radiowise).
                Absolutely!
                Listened to Elektra last night - but oh dear, those decibels were just a bit too much for my sensitive ears.
                My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

I wasn't as impressed by this as some people evidently were. Singers often overwhelmed by the orchestra and rather too many of them following the score for it to be as dramatically involving as it could have been. Doris Sofell stole it, I reckon.

Comment

Working...
                  X