1.00 p.m. – c. 2.00 p.m.
    Cadogan Hall

Chopin: Ballade no. 1 in G minor, Op. 23
    Mompou: Paisajes
    Ravel: Valses nobles et sentimentales
    Judith Weir: Day Break Shadows Flee [BBC Commission. World Premiere]
    Gounod arr. Liszt: Waltz from 'Faust'

Benjamin Grosvenor (piano)

He may only just have turned 22, but pianist Benjamin Grosvenor is already a Proms regular. The precocious British pianist returns for his first Proms Chamber Music concert, performing a mixed programme with a dance theme pulsing through it.

He explores the waltz from the contrasting perspectives of Ravel and Liszt, exchanging bladed impressionism for dizzying virtuosity, while Mompou's Paisajes transports us to Barcelona, offering an evocative vision of a city from which the composer had been distanced for many years.

The contrast of nocturnal scurrying and warm radiance suggested the title for Judith Weir's new commission, written specially for Grosvenor.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 25-08-14, 10:10.

Could those "in the know" tell us how well attended these often excellent Proms Chamber Concerts are?

Comment

Ben G. has a blog post via Gramophone about his upcoming PCM:

On EA's question, just by judging the RAH's ticketing site on line, I think all the PCM's have sold out in advance. Those 'in the know' are obviously better equipped to say how truly full each PCM was, of course, in terms of audience. But it's a good sign when they all sell so well in advance.

Comment

I bought my ticket the day after booking opened and the stalls were already sold out. On the day, from my perch in the gallery, there were about half-a-dozen empty seats in the stalls, but there must have been a reason for that. Gallery itself was full. The few chamber Proms I've been to over the past two or three years have all appeared full. There must surely be a large number of students, tourists, self-employed and retired people who can manage a Monday lunchtime. And £10 or £12 to see top artistes giving impeccable performances in such intimate surroundings is a bit of a snip.

Comment

I enjoyed this concert (listened to on the wireless) especially 'Day Break Shadows Flee' which I would like to hear again.

Comment

Working...
          X