Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now that's what I call inter-movement applause. A rightly appreciative audience in the Hall.

Comment

PROM 62. STUTTGART RSO/NORRINGTON

HDs RATINGS (Beethoven 8): Sound 9/10, Performance 6/10

I've admired and enjoyed many of Norrington's SWR recordings (especially his Haydn London set, the Schubert symphonies and at least some of his Bruckner), but on this occasion his Beethoven 8th seemed just too severe and expressionless, especially in the outer movements. Comparing the 1st movement with its counterpart from the very fine 2002 Hanssler cycle (same SWR orchestra), there is perceptibly more rhythmical give-and-take in 2002, shades of warmth and individuality in 2nd subject winds, and livelier, more varied dynamic expression too. It soon makes you smile. Tonight's reading came across as all energy and punch, austerely metrical and affectless. Norrington allowed his players a little more freedom & tonal fullness in the scherzando and minuet, but the overall effect remained rather flat and humourless.

I didn't feel the HDs webcast or the inhall production were necessarily to blame, but a reading such as this, which depends for its expression on subtle inflections of rhythm and dynamics, with barely perceptible rubato, is never going to work as well in a large space with few reinforcing acoustic reflections.
      Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 03-09-14, 21:27.

Comment

Doubtlessly the applause following the slow movement was encouraged by the attention-seeking conductor.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          Now to bless the interval, we have Sir Roger talking about himself - AGAIN.
          But his articulacy far outshone that of his interviewer, who frequently sounded as though he was on the back foot.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
            But his articulacy far outshone that of his interviewer, who frequently sounded as though he was on the back foot.
            It's very well rehearsed.

Comment

I can't think of any R3 regular who could have challenged that. It needed the Paxman of the classical world (does such a person exist?).

Comment

As are your all too predictable comments in this thread. Back to school (orchestra) with you.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Alpensinfonie's reaction to Norrington predictable? Surely not...

Comment

Now to bless the interval, we have Sir Roger talking about himself - AGAIN.
                    Excellent. I always enjoy Sir Roger talking.
                    And both enjoyable and informative to listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                      Well RN's a self-confessed thespian, isn't he?

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                        Enjoyable, but including a great deal of fantasy.

As for my comments being predictable, that does not make them any less valid. Or true.

I once said that in certain instances HIPP stood for "How I Prefer Playing". RN is the prime instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                          As are your all too predictable comments in this thread. Back to school (orchestra) with you.
                          Quite so.

Comment

Well RN's a self-confessed thespian, isn't he?
                            He was certainly an excellent actor in his tenor days. I have very fond memories of his Slender in the BBC Northern R3 broadcast of Sir John in Love, with a superb cast led by Owen Brannigan, under Brian Priestman. Norrington rather stole the show.

Comment

I'd rather go back to Schuricht's orchestra.

Comment

Fine post concert endorsement from sir Jonathan Swain.

Comment

Working...
                                X