• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 74 - 11.09.14: Rufus Wainwright, Britten Sinfonia, Debus

Thursday, 11 September
    10.15 p.m. – c. 11.30 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

Rufus Wainright live at the BBC Proms - the Canadian-American singer-songwriter performs his own brand of 'baroque pop'.

Songs to include:
    Poses
    Going to a Town
    Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk
    Over the Rainbow
    Dinner at Eight
    Me and Liza

Rufus Wainwright
    Britten Sinfonia
    Johannes Debus (conductor)

He has already taken over the Royal Opera House and staged his first opera; now charismatic singer-songwriter Rufus Wainwright comes to the Proms. Joined by the instrumentalists of the Britten Sinfonia, the Canadian-American Grammy nominee performs a spectacular set, filling the Royal Albert Hall with his own brand of 'baroque pop' that references everything from opera to ragtime, Lieder to jazz. 'As a pop performer who loves opera and classical music, I've always heavily leant on my sensibilities from that world', he says. 'And at the end of the day, what makes my career interesting and viable is that I've never drawn too many borders between forms of music - I just make sure it's good.'.
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 05-09-14, 23:19.

Comment

Absolutely love RW, even though he's Canadian. Been a fan for years, the guy's one in a million. Gutted I can't make this prom.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
        Absolutely love RW
        The least likely statement to be found on this Forum!

Oh! That "RW".
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          The least likely statement to be found on this Forum!

Oh! That "RW".
          'Fraid that went over my head, like an aeroplane might.

Comment

Absolutely love RW, even though he's Canadian. Been a fan for years, the guy's one in a million. Gutted I can't make this prom.
            I could make it, but almost certainly will not.

Comment

I think I can understand what you mean - he has a definite talent even if much of his output misses my mojo! I prefer his Dad and more definitely his Aunt and sadly late Mum. He did not improve on Len's original Hallelujah.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                I could make it, but almost certainly will not.
                Cannot make it anyway, but if I could I definitely wouldn't

Comment

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                  Cannot make it anyway, but if I could I definitely wouldn't

Comment

I'm not sure if i can make it, and not sure if I would anyway.

(I wish the Oven! would make his case. Always found RW's music tiresome,up till now......)
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      I'm not sure if i can make it, and not sure if I would anyway.

(I wish the Oven! would make his case. Always found RW's music tiresome,up till now......)
                      Tiresome yes, ts but probably talented! But who knows why Beefy likes or dislikes anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Tiresome yes, ts but probably talented! But who knows why Beefy likes or dislikes anyone?
                        if the Oven ! is an enthusiast, I am happy to listen to his guidance. since I'm not always sure why I like things, (are any of us ?)

The distinctions between talented and well connected are not always clear ....

Personally, I can live without the talented but tiresome (see "live comeback after 30 years rest thread"....!!)
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I spotted the opportunity to go to two Proms that night (Mahler 3 earlier), so have booked for them both. I completely agree with Beef Oven - not my usual taste in music, but Rufus has something special. His Judy Garland show, shown on television a few months ago, was amazing.

And who could forget the closing song in The History Boys film?

Cover of Bewitched from The History Boys Soundtrack (2006).
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-09-14, 17:18. Reason: an afterthought

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                            And who could forget the closing song in The History Boys film?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA0pP1nBmFk
                            He may be an acquired taste which you have to work at a bit. The piano was all right for a night club but I found the voice unpleasant. It didn't sound as if he meant any of what he was singing
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Absolutely love RW, even though he's Canadian.

Some of the most amazing people I have met have been Canadians!

Comment

Working...
                              X