• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 76 - 13.09.14: The Last Night; BBC SO, Oramo

Saturday, 13 September
    7.30 p.m. – c. 10.30 p.m.
    Royal Albert Hall

The Last Night of the Proms live from the Royal Albert Hall with the BBC Symphony Orchestra, conductor Sakari Oramo, star violinist Janine Jansen and baritone Roderick Williams.

Sakari Oramo directs his first Last Night, joined by star Dutch violinist Janine Jansen.

We pay tribute to the late John Tavener with his touching Song for Athene, and mark the 50th anniversary of the film Mary Poppins with a singalong medley.
    Arnold's Peterloo overture receives its first performance in a new choral version with lyrics by Sir Tim Rice, while our Richard Strauss anniversary celebrations conclude with the Proms premiere of the composer's massive cantata Taillefer.
    The nautical flavour of Ansell's Plymouth Hoe (and its brief quotation of Rule, Britannia!) forms an upbeat to the traditional Last Night favourites, led by baritone Roderick Williams.

Gavin Higgins: Velocity (BBC commission: world premiere)
    Arnold: Overture 'Peterloo' (new choral version with lyrics by Sir Tim Rice: world premiere)
    Walton: Facade - Popular Song
    Chausson: Poème
    Tavener: Song for Athene
    R Strauss: Taillefer, Op. 52

Khachaturian: Gayane - Sabre Dance
    Ravel: Tzigane
    Kern arr. Roderick Williams: Show Boat - 'Ol' Man River'
    Trad. arr. Roderick Williams: Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho
    Richard M Sherman & Robert B Sherman: Mary Poppins - medley
    Ansell: Plymouth Hoe
    Arne arr. Sargent: Rule, Britannia!
    Elgar: Pomp and Circumstance March No. 1 in D major ('Land of Hope and Glory')
    Parry orch. Elgar: Jerusalem
    arr. Britten: The National Anthem

Janine Jansen (violin)
    Roderick Williams (baritone)
    Elizabeth Watts (soprano)
    John Daszak (tenor)
    BBC Singers
    BBC Symphony Chorus
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Sakari Oramo (conductor).
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 05-09-14, 23:23.

Re the Peterloo Overture - presumably the choral arranger is alive and kicking, but is uncredited. I don't suppose Tim Rice arranged the choral parts (and neither did I ).

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Re the Peterloo Overture - presumably the choral arranger is alive and kicking, but is uncredited. I don't suppose Tim Rice arranged the choral parts (and neither did I ).
      One dreads to think it might have been his former 'musical' collaborator.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        One dreads to think it might have been his former 'musical' collaborator.
        Ooh, I dunno - didn't Benny and Björn have a previous success with "Peterloo" or something?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I hate the Classic Fmification of the last night - we used always to have a proper concerto in the first half .I doubt Janine Jansen comes cheap I suggest they should have made her work a bit harder for her big cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
            I hate the Classic Fmification of the last night - we used always to have a proper concerto in the first half .I doubt Janine Jansen comes cheap I suggest they should have made her work a bit harder for her big cheque.
            Errm - before Ms Jansen's libel lawyers see this, it might be worth pointing out that, at about 26 minutes, the combined playing times of the Chausson Poeme and the Ravel Tzigane is about the same duration as those "proper concertos" by Mendelssohn and Bruch.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Errm - before Ms Jansen's libel lawyers see this, it might be worth pointing out that, at about 26 minutes, the combined playing times of the Chausson Poeme and the Ravel Tzigane is about the same duration as those "proper concertos" by Mendelssohn and Bruch.
              And neither piece is exactly 'easy'. The Chausson is an extremely difficult piece to bring off successfully.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                And neither piece is exactly 'easy'. The Chausson is an extremely difficult piece to bring off successfully.
                True enough but the point is still the same- short pieces for the last night rather than a full concerto .

Comment

True enough but the point is still the same- short pieces for the last night rather than a full concerto .
                  Yes - but the other "point" (that Ms Jansen might not be working hard enough for a huge fee) is demonstrably-in-a-court-of-law incorrect.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                    Yes - but the other "point" (that Ms Jansen might not be working hard enough for a huge fee) is demonstrably-in-a-court-of-law incorrect.
                    Have the BBC, or Ms Jansen, published her fee? She could be doing it voluntarily, for the honour of playing at the Last Night, or perhaps donating her fee to charity.

& isn't it a bit snobbish to dismiss shorter pieces as not being worth a soloist playing? The short pieces could be much more interesting & difficult to play than a run-of-the-mill, dashed off by the composer to pay a bill, concerto.

Comment

In 37 years of concert going I've never heard the Chausson live ONCE (*) so I'm really looking forward to hearing it played by one of my favourite soloists.

(* well, apart from when I played it in a student recital. They still talk about that concert in Ullapool! )

Comment

shorter pieces have the considerable added benefit of being repeatable on Breakfast
                        Last edited by mercia; 09-09-14, 14:28.

Comment

There are many reasons why I never attend the Last Night (all that bouncing up and down and flag waving) and I have no problems with any of the pieces being performed or the performers (even Tim Rice's contribution - yes I know he's not singing!) but I do find it an odd mix and running order - Ol' Man River after Tzigane?

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Have the BBC, or Ms Jansen, published her fee? She could be doing it voluntarily, for the honour of playing at the Last Night, or perhaps donating her fee to charity.
                            Don't ask me - it was Barbi who made the suggestion.

& isn't it a bit snobbish to dismiss shorter pieces as not being worth a soloist playing? The short pieces could be much more interesting & difficult to play than a run-of-the-mill, dashed off by the composer to pay a bill, concerto.
                            Again, you'd have to address this to Barbi. I couldn't possibly comment.

Comment

There'll be so many horns (in the audience) being tooted, poppers popped, & so on, that I doubt anyone will be able to hear much of it anyway, so it doesn't really matter.

I've always thought that was the problem with the LN - the first half & second half seem to be two different concerts colliding.

Comment

Working...
                              X