• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

R3 on the Proms

New blog with promo pic.

K. Derham fills the role last year played by Paloma Faith.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The 100th Proms season took place in 1994 and the festival now includes over 70 main Prom concerts every year, ever widening the range of symphonic and operatic music presented. The BBC Proms continues to welcome leading international performers whilst showcasing the best of the British music scene, including the BBC's own orchestras and choirs.
    Yet although the scope of the Proms has increased enormously since 1895, Henry Wood's concept for the season remains largely unaltered: to present the widest possible range of music, performed to the highest standards, to large audiences. And promenading in the Royal Albert Hall's arena continues to be a central feature, lending the Proms its unique, informal atmosphere

This sounds all very grand but in practice, to Radio3 listeners (those who listen to the concerts on the radio), are there any difference between the Proms and the regular live evening concerts? I suppose one difference is that the Proms are now the world greatest music festival, whereas Radio 3 is still largely classical / art music station. Maybe Radio 3 should be released from the responsibility, and instead, take part as a classical / art music station, and let the BBC do whatever they like with the rest of the festival, as it is looking increasingly that way for the last few years.

Unless the new controller sits down and seriously thinks what the Proms should be doing as Radio3’s .major offering to its regular listeners and beyond.

Comment

• Frances_iom
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by french frank View Post

K. Derham fills the role last year played by Paloma Faith.
      was she the backend of the circus horse ? in that photo - if she is involved with presentation other than Wodger's left-over pop concerts then looks as tho it will be a prom-free summer for me

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

The idea that Katie Derham is to do those so, so funny off the cuff intros of hers through the Proms season will mean I listen to even fewer Proms than I did last year. She is the very antithesis of a R3 musically alert CA/intro-person, but ticks the box with her Quiz Show host's bonhommie. Get Sandy Toksvig in while you're at it.
        And if the idea is to broaden the audience for classical music, why FGS, do a Radio 1 celebration night, pray? Counter-intuitive is the least unpleasant description I can give it.

I do hope Ed Reardon has an epi on this mash-up.

The BBC is painting itself into a corner. Makes WIA look like just an ordinary, everyday snapshot from R3 planing meetings at BH.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          "Henry Wood's concept for the season remains largely unaltered: to present the widest possible range of music..."
          Was it ever the 'widest possible range', I wonder? Florrie Forde, Marie Lloyd, Harry Champion? (I ask - I do not know)

Maybe Radio 3 should be released from the responsibility, and instead, take part as a classical / art music station, and let the BBC do whatever they like with the rest of the festival, as it is looking increasingly that way for the last few years.
          I think Radio 1, 1Xtra and perhaps 6Music are broadcasting 'their' Proms. Is there a need for Radio 3 to do so as well?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• doversoul1
            Ex Member
            • Dec 2010

No playlist for Composer of the Week, Saturday Lunchtime Concert, or Early Music Show, and all those marketing blurbs for the programme information. If only one fiftieth of the cost and the effort that goes into the Proms would be spared for the regular programmes on Radio 3.

Marketing value rules, I guess. What do the Proms mean to Radio 3?

Comment

• Anastasius
              • Mar 2015

.... What do the Proms mean to Radio 3?
              A chance to 'get down' (is that the current parlance?) with yoof ?

Can anyone anywhere tell me what on earth Ibiza has got to do with classical music and the Proms? Once more unto the CD collection, once more. Or block up our ears from perky presenters and cry Hurrah for The Maltings and Wigmore Hall.
              Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                The BBC is painting itself into a corner. Makes WIA look like just an ordinary, everyday snapshot from R3 planing meetings at BH.
                And what makes you think it isn't? As for "planing", a freudian slip (?) that implies an undue degree of finesse. Other tools are at work.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                  Can anyone anywhere tell me what on earth Ibiza has got to do with classical music and the Proms?
                  Not much to do with classical music (nor with Radio 3 as far as I am concerned) but probably a lot to do with the Proms.

[ed.] What does WIA stand for?

Comment

• vinteuil
                    • Nov 2010

What does WIA stand for?
                    . W1A tele programme -

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Oh.... Thanks.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                        • Nov 2010

"...ever widening the range of symphonic and operatic music presented........to present the widest possible range of music, performed to the highest standards..."
                        really??? A little economical with the truth rather like all the election leaflets I keep getting.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                          Can anyone anywhere tell me what on earth Ibiza has got to do with classical music and the Proms?
                          It doesn't have have anything to do with Radio 3 … In this case it has to do with Radio 1 (remember last year there was a 6 Music Prom [ed: and this year]; then there was the Urban Classic Prom. Plus a handful of Radio 2 Proms most years - though not officially 'branded' as such.

The thinking is that if these new audiences attend a Prom, they'll be back the following year for some Beethoven and Brahms. I'm not sure whether figures are available for how many conversions there are to regular Proms-going. But that isn't vital: the Proms get much better media coverage if they include high profile pop-Proms.

Comment

• doversoul1
                            Ex Member
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            The thinking is that if these new audiences attend a Prom, they'll be back the following year for some Beethoven and Brahms. I'm not sure whether figures are available for how many conversions there are to regular Proms-going. But that isn't vital: the Proms get much better media coverage if they include high profile pop-Proms.
                            The figures: Doesn’t the rating always go back to ‘normal’ after the Prom quarter, and doesn’t it suggest (if not prove) that the Proms are no converter? Unless the newly concerted all flock to CFM after waving flags and singing Rule Britannia.

Better media coverage to whose benefit?
                            Last edited by doversoul1; 25-04-15, 16:35.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

The figures: Doesn’t the rating always go back to ‘normal’ after the Prom quarter, and doesn’t it suggest (if not prove) that the Proms are no converter?
                              I don't mean 'ratings': I mean the BBC's stated intention to 'educate' the masses beyond their present popular cultural interests. That's supposed to be the 'thinking'. Let the masses rub shoulders with the cultural elite and some eddycation will rub off on them. But in fact all the BBC seems keen to do is extend the reach (as in 'where you can find it') of popular culture.

Better media coverage to whose benefit?
                              The BBC's, of course. 'Look, the Proms aren't elitist, they're for everyone.' Well, of course they are if you include popular musics that already have huge audiences. Meanwhile:

London Jazz News has so far identified three 'jazz-related' [sic] concerts:

Late Night Sinatra, with … the John Wilson Orchestra
                              The Story of Swing, Guy Barker with his Big Band and Winston Rollins with his Big Band
                              Bernstein Stage and Screen, with the John Wilson Orchestra, again.

Hmmm. QED.

Comment

Working...
                              X