Prom 67: Bernstein – Stage & Screen (5.09.15)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bax-of-Delights View Post

(But you can see why R3 see this Prom as evidence of pumping more and similar light classical into the programmes. Filling the RAH - every single seat - must be very enticing.)
    The Dream of Gerontius sold out faster than this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      The Dream of Gerontius sold out faster than this one.
      Sir Simon & The VPO is what sold.

Last time I attended a Gerontius at the Proms, circa 2005 (?) an opening night (?) it wasn't as subscribed as this.

Comment

Bernstein Prom

Some wonderful moments. Highlights included the jewel song from Candide by Susan Strallan, a most tender 'Maria' by Julian Ovenden, great ensemble work from the boys in 'Officer Krupje' and the cab ladies lament in the first half.

Other highlight: excellent reading by the orchestra and John Wilson of the Symphonic Suite made out of Bernstein's On the Waterfront score. Brilliant.

But ... too often the orchestra was much too fast elsewhere. Too fast and undifferentiated in the Candide overture. it's not a race Mr. Wilson and similarly with the slow movement in the dance suite.

Note to orchestra members, particularly the front section players, your emoting is every endearing but a complete distraction to the principal singers. Please be aware how visible you are in TV transmissions. Eyes front and on your score, end of story.

Comment

Note to orchestra members, particularly the front section players, your emoting is every endearing but a complete distraction to the principal singers. Please be aware how visible you are in TV transmissions. Eyes front and on your score, end of story.
          Au contraire, I like to see players being 'sent' by what they are playing. Did you see the COE the other day? Very different rep (obviously) but there was a lot of ducking and weaving going on. Great, IMO. Agree Candide was a bit fast. One wonders how much rehearsal time it got with all the other stuff going on. Anyway, I really enjoyed the 'Musicals' side of it...and so did one of my g-daughters who has aspirations in that direction. She was visibly moved by 'Maria'.

BTW, interesting that Marin Alsop was talking about Bernstein on CD Review today.
          Last edited by ardcarp; 12-09-15, 15:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
            Some wonderful moments.
            This thread not good enough for yer, Stillho?
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Apologies Caliban but I'm useless at finding threads on here. Fortunately I have been put in my place - in the most helpful manner!

Comment

Apologies Caliban but I'm useless at finding threads on here. Fortunately I have been put in my place - in the most helpful manner!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

[/QUOTE]Au contraire, I like to see players being 'sent' by what they are playing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, but when a violinist is in shot behind the soloist mouthing the words she's singing, that's simply a distraction.

Comment

Well, if it was a bloke multi-tasking, that's something in itself.....

Comment

Some wonderful moments. Highlights included the jewel song from Candide by Susan Strallan, a most tender 'Maria' by Julian Ovenden, great ensemble work from the boys in 'Officer Krupje' and the cab ladies lament in the first half.

Other highlight: excellent reading by the orchestra and John Wilson of the Symphonic Suite made out of Bernstein's On the Waterfront score. Brilliant.

Absolutely agree. .

She always sits there in the 1st violins and makes quite sure that the camera man will pick her out.

Maybe a good player, but she should stop trying to steal the limelight from the artist in front. Is she after a film test or something? (and the cameraman and TV director are not without censure)

HS
                      Last edited by Hornspieler; 12-09-15, 21:12.

Comment

Working...
                      X