Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    I've got a brilliant idea - stuff the gimmicks and let's get back to proper proms and a last night without the false bonhomie in the park.
    …….and without the false bonhomie in the hall?

Comment

I haven't been to the Edinburgh Festival for ages, but doesn't the Fringe include a majority of events that have nothing to do with any kind of music?

Comment

A problem with a Proms 'fringe' is that, as in Edinburgh, most people will think of it as the main Festival.
        It is the most interesting thing about the Edinburgh festival IMV

why is this a "problem"?

(there are some good things in the "official" one though)

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
          I haven't been to the Edinburgh Festival for ages, but doesn't the Fringe include a majority of events that have nothing to do with any kind of music?
          The Proms has doggerel verse worthy of McGonagall (Prom 75)

Comment

That may be, but the verse isn't the primary reason - or even any reason at all - for the performance.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              It is the most interesting thing about the Edinburgh festival IMV

why is this a "problem"?

(there are some good things in the "official" one though)
              Looking at the main Festival guide, there are some excellent, 'ungimmicky' concerts. Interestingly R3 seems to be broadcasting many of the morning solo and chamber concerts, but few of the evening ones. I suppose it's because of the clash in timing with the Proms, but it seems a shame that a wider public is mssing out.

One other point: having booked several tickets on the phone this week, I must comment on the friendliness and efficiency of the Box Office staff. The contrast with the Proms booking is striking. The lady on the phone even insisted on giving me exact details of how to reach each location - even though signs and maps would give me all the help needed. Scottish hospitality, perhaps.

Comment

Some of the evening ones normally show up on Radio 3 after the Proms have finished don't they?

Comment

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                  Some of the evening ones normally show up on Radio 3 after the Proms have finished don't they?
                  According to the Festival guide, just the opening Brahms concert and the Mozart Requiem. Some stunning concerts seem to be missed.

Comment

I've wondered for some time why a "Proms fringe" has never materialised. After all, there must be lots of venues in London which really get hit in terms of audience numbers during the Proms season - it might be to their benefit to put on concerts of music which never gets played in the Proms. (There must also be lots of artists who aren't willing to suck up to the "right" people, and so get passed over by the Proms selection committees - they might be interested as well.)

Comment

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                      I've wondered for some time why a "Proms fringe" has never materialised. After all, there must be lots of venues in London which really get hit in terms of audience numbers during the Proms season - it might be to their benefit to put on concerts of music which never gets played in the Proms. (There must also be lots of artists who aren't willing to suck up to the "right" people, and so get passed over by the Proms selection committees - they might be interested as well.)
                      I hadn't thought of that last point, but it's most apt.

Comment

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                        (There must also be lots of artists who aren't willing to suck up to the "right" people, and so get passed over by the Proms selection committees - they might be interested as well.)
                        Made up news of the day?
                        or based on knowledge?

What do you know of the "Proms selection committees "?

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                          Made up news of the day?
                          or based on knowledge?

What do you know of the "Proms selection committees "?
                          It may possibly be made up news, but it fits the general BBC tendency of sticking with people they know. For example, whenever they were discussing educational topics, they would invariably bring in the discredited Chris Woodhead rather than anyone with up-to-date knowledge and experience.

Comment

Working...
                          X