Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unexpected Delight

The BBC Proms series holds scant interest for me so I seldom watch any of the broadcasts but skipping through the channels yesterday evening, I stumbled across Andras Schiff and the Goldbergs. I'm so glad I did. I have admired Schiff's playing for many years; he is possessed of a prodigious technique and this was employed to superlative effect in this performance. I thought it an inspired inclusion in the programme but I imagine a little taximg of the average Promenader's attention span.

The Goldberg Variations, (along with his Canonic Variations and Brahms's Handel workings), have to be the greatest written in this genre and I really enjoyed Schiff's offering. My only criticism related to a few instances in the slower movements where Schiff applied some trills, shakes, mordants and what-have-you which I felt were superfluous. The harpsichord (and, indeed, the early forte-piano) had little sustaining power and required such devices; these hardly are necessary with a nine foot grand. But this really is to quibble. The pianist did, however, start these curlicues on the upper note - sadly, a convention seldom observed by modern musicians.

For me, Rosalyn Tureck remains at the pinnacle of keyboard performances of Bach but I'm delighted I witnessed this wholly unexpected treat.

Incidentally, I was slightly puzzled by the Fabbrini involvement with the recital instrument. Am I correct in thinking Steinway may have purchased Fabbrini? It would seem odd if they had countenanced such a public display if this was not the case.

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
    The Goldberg Variations, (along with his Canonic Variations and Brahms's Handel workings), have to be the greatest written in this genre
    ...all exceedingly 'great', though the Diabelli aren't too shabby either. Plently of others to admire, and hard to quantify how less 'great': EE Enigma, Rach Corelli, Britten Frank Bridge, et al...

Comment

Incidentally, I was slightly puzzled by the Fabbrini involvement with the recital instrument. Am I correct in thinking Steinway may have purchased Fabbrini? It would seem odd if they had countenanced such a public display if this was not the case.
      I too was puzzled by the name "Fabbrini" emblazoned on the side of Schiff's Steinway. It seems that Fabbrini is an esteemed Italian piano tech who buys Hamburg Steinways and substantially modifies them (but I'm sure that you knew that already - unlike me). It seems that Schiff has been playing Fabbrini Steinways for quite some time.

There is a review of a 2010 Pollini concert that describes how Fabbrini prepares his pianos and the differences between a Fabbrini (Hamburg) Steinway and a New York Steinway, etc:

Maurizio Pollini's touring Hamburg Steinway-Fabbrini concert grand exhibits  exceptionally ravishing tonal and technical characteristics. The fact that this is a piano well outside our modern norm begs a number of questions, among which is, “Why don’t we regularly hear instruments of this subtlety
      Last edited by johnb; 04-09-15, 11:52.

Comment

I thought that Schiff usually plays on his own piano - not a Steinway. Perhaps I'm thinking of another pianist. Didn't Schiff do a similar Bach performance quite a few years ago as a late night Prom?

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
          Didn't Schiff do a similar Bach performance quite a few years ago as a late night Prom?
          Not Bach - Mozza, Dave (nine years ago!)

The world's greatest classical music festival - stunning performances and collaborations.
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e4n4fx
            Ferney, was this played on Mozart's piano ? I know he did a recording on that instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Ferney, was this played on Mozart's piano ? I know he did a recording on that instrument.
              I don't think so - the logistics of moving that instrument for a recital in the RAH seem rather daunting to me - and the Archive gives no further information that the link. Nothing helpful webwise, either - I would've presumed if it had been on the original instrument, there'd be more "fuss" made about the fact.

Comment

Aha! A Grauniad interview from the time makes it clear that this was a modern instrument performance:

The Royal Albert Hall as a venue for such delicately intimate music? It's true that they were written for the fortepiano with a small audience in mind. I have had the rare privilege of playing them on Mozart's own fortepiano in the very room where he was born. It was an unforgettable and moving experience - yet I feel that the music is of such sublime quality, its message so universal, that it can also be transferred to a large space and played on present-day instruments.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                  I thought that Schiff usually plays on his own piano - not a Steinway. Perhaps I'm thinking of another pianist. Didn't Schiff do a similar Bach performance quite a few years ago as a late night Prom?
                  Schiff did some very memorable late night concerts from the Edinburgh Festival circa 1995/96 that were broadcast on Radio3. I went to a couple of them and, yes, he did have his own piano. I knew the piano technician then and he confirmed that, wherever possible, Schiff would use his own instrument. Goodness knows what it would have cost to transport!

Comment

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                    ...all exceedingly 'great', though the Diabelli aren't too shabby either. Plently of others to admire, and hard to quantify how less 'great': EE Enigma, Rach Corelli, Britten Frank Bridge, et al...
                    My "greatest" referred to keyboard works; I suppose I should have made that clear. Sorry.

I could quantify how less "great" your "others to admire" might be but I suspect I should get myself into considerable trouble by so doing . . . . . .

Comment

My "greatest" referred to keyboard works; I suppose I should have made that clear. Sorry.
                      - even so, the Diabellis should have been included!

Comment

Aha! A Grauniad interview from the time makes it clear that this was a modern instrument performance:
                        Thank you for that ferney - Schiff recorded some solo piano works on a L'oiseau-lyre CD in 1992 on the Mozart piano, which I have - very good too. I see that Mr Zoverstocks has a copy available for £1.35.

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e4n4fx
                          Thanks for correcting my memory. I think there was an earlier event (concert most likely) somewhere else in London, as I have a feeling I travelled across London for the Schiff one. I don't think I went to the precdeding Prom - number 45.

Comment

- even so, the Diabellis should have been included!
                            Alright already! I'll include the Diabellis (and the Brahms Op35 before I get chastised for omitting them too) but "greatest", being the grammatical superlative, should exclude others.

Comment

... but "greatest", being the grammatical superlative, should exclude others.
                              "Along with", m'lud?

(Webern Op27, too, btw!)

Comment

Working...
                              X