Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following on from applause

The website for classical music: Find the latest DG and Archiv recordings and news. Biographies, concerts and videos about artists, conductors and composers.

A friend sent me this article. My immediate response was that there's something akin to such occurrences as 'road rage': most people can be extremely annoyed about the way others behave (not always without cause) but most people also have enough self-control not to re-act, and to weigh up the point of their spontaneous reactions getting the better of them. More anger management classes needed for many people, not just people who go to classical music concerts who seem to be regularly picked on …
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Interesting to note that the recipients of others' not-so-passive aggression reported in this article were all female. I doubt that anyone would poke a well-built bloke for moving his head to the Music in a concert - and it certainly wouldn't happen twice!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Interesting to note that the recipients of others' not-so-passive aggression reported in this article were all female. I doubt that anyone would poke a well-built bloke for moving his head to the Music in a concert - and it certainly wouldn't happen twice!
        and ( caution, incoming assumption) in the posh seats.

Maybe a " No Poking " sign would help?
        Ahem....

or maybe angry pokey Festival Hall woman would be a bit less angry if there were sometimes seats available for concert goers to have that expensive drink and read the programme........
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I could subscribe to most of her rules, but would amend No 5 to clapping when you want to AND a substantial part of the audience already does so - that way, even a newbie who might not know when the piece actually ends won't clap at inopportune times.

I also wouldn't restrict myself from admonishing talkers if necessary (i.e. if they are not first time 'offenders') in a civilized way (certainly not during the piece or physically as described in the article )

Edit: if anyone is quite sure the piece did end and is alone in thinking there should be any applause, he/she should obviously feel free to do so
          Last edited by Demetrius; 18-09-15, 09:18.

Comment

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
            ...but would amend No 5 to clapping when you want to AND a substantial part of the audience already does so -
            This simply isn't true. Hardly anyone one does. It's very rare away from the BBC Proms and is mostly copycat behaviour. Presumably you can now clap during Die Zauberflote Overture.

Comment

I've just come back from a wonderful week of singing early music with one of the most inspiring directors around.

Mention of audience head-nodding here reminds me that one of the things he mentioned was how difficult it is for a conductor to ignore the singer who keeps their own time which is not quite the same as what the conductor is indicating.

Comment

Ok, let me correct myself.

Not sure about the Proms audience, but most of the concerts I attended had few (certainly <10% of the audience) to no happy clappers between movements. Problem is that they tend to infect those that are not too sure about what is expected (copycat behaviour, as you said). I told a friend that he could clap if he wanted (or refrain from clapping at all if he didn't like it), but should wait until at least 1/3 of the hall was clapping. That worked fairly well. Frankly, if 1/3 of the hall is clapping between movements, a few more don't make much of a difference as the experience is shot to hell anyway.

He followed the advise and easily managed to clapped at the end of the piece, without having any concept of movements and silences and the overall duration of it.

Comment

I find rhythmic movement of any kind other than by the performers intensely annoying. At the Schmidt 2 last week (otherwise a very involving piece, IMHO) I was reduced to holding up my hand to screen out the hand-waving of the chap next to me. Some time ago a similar incident drove me to purchase some black felt to make blinkers I could thread onto my glasses, but I never made them up. I really must before next season.

Comment

And for folks like Mr T we have acousmatic concerts

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
                      I find rhythmic movement of any kind other than by the performers intensely annoying. At the Schmidt 2 last week (otherwise a very involving piece, IMHO) I was reduced to holding up my hand to screen out the hand-waving of the chap next to me. Some time ago a similar incident drove me to purchase some black felt to make blinkers I could thread onto my glasses, but I never made them up. I really must before next season.
                      It's only September, but this has got to be the 'post of the year'. Can't see it being beaten.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        It's only September, but this has got to be the 'post of the year'. Can't see it being beaten.
                        Only when Philip tells us he's taken to wearing a burka..
                        Last edited by Zucchini; 18-09-15, 14:18. Reason: corrects per jean link to scissor tables..

Comment

I can't see that happening, somehow.

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                            And for folks like Mr T we have acousmatic concerts

And yet many people do have problems with others', erm, bodily involvement in music. There is of course the problem of the person sitting somewhere in the same row of interconnected seats whose movements are crazily out of sync with one's own... and from another person's pov that can be one's own distracting movements. As happens I was once told off for swaying to the music, and informed that my movements were very distracting visually. To which I replied that for me music is above all a listening experience, though I had to admit to myself that the visual can be an important component of the live musical experience, especially in jazz or improvised music, where body language and communicative vibes can count for so much; and my accuser said "We don't all listen to music with our eyes closed you know!". In fact the above experience was at a jazz gig - at The Vortex, one of London's prime jazz venues! I subsequently looked up and there the audience was, spread out in front of me (I had moved to the back to indulge my jiggle tendencies), sitting stock still like rows of gravestones to this incredibly rhythmically involving music that was imploring me to put more than just my head into it, thinking, what are all these people here for??

Comment

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                              Only when Philip tells us he's taken to wearing a jihab.
                              ... or possibly jilbab -

or even hijab -

Comment

Working...
                              X