Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    That is a slightly hostile interpretation of what I actually said: not telling you anything at all but, as you have quoted, suggesting a possibility. You can tell me that, while possible, it is nevertheless quite mistaken.
    For what it's worth, I do think that GG's point is valid here.

Whereas your 'partner in crime' Beefy reveals the fact that he goes with some regularity to such concerts to hear such repertoire (and on that basis he has his own views about what should/should not be 'allowable' in terms of audience behaviour),
    And your 'partner in crime' Eine Alpensinfonie reveals the fact that he's only ever attended 1 Prom concert in his entire life, up in the gallery (and on that basis he sees it fit to lay down the law as to how we, those that do go, must behave). I didn't notice you picking up on this as you have with MrGG. Consistency?

you seldom join in any of the available topics on what most would think of as 'classical music' (other than on the Dream of Gerontius). And that is quite all right. You don't have to
    Of course it's quite alright, but you imply it's not. Or have I missed the point of your two sentences?

But it does mean that we are justified in interpreting your comments on the subject of 'core classical' concerts as coming from someone who seldom/never goes to such concerts and has little interest in going.
    This reads like gobbledygook. Justified? Interpreting? Core classical - what's that? I know you tell us that I go to such repertoire, but I thought I was just going to music I dig! Tell me more.

And that would make a difference.
    Huh? Difference? Why?

I think that Gillian Moore made a number of interesting and valid points about concert-going that we might have sensibly discussed. IMV, MrGG was trying to tease these points out. Shame that we've done our 'usual' and viewed any alternative points of view as 'dissent'.
    Last edited by Beef Oven!; 25-09-15, 09:44. Reason: Moore

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      I think that Gillian Weir made a number of interesting and valid points about concert-going
      Gillian Moore, actually; the organist had other things to do, I suppose...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Gillian Moore, actually; the organist had other things to do, I suppose...
        Getting my Gills mixed up? Must be all that whisky.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
          Getting my Gills mixed up? Must be all that whisky.
          Only if you still pour yourself measures in multiples of that antediluvian imperial unit!

Oh, wait abit - maybe you're right after all; Gillian Moore is Scottish...

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            I think (put rather simplistically) some people don't like people.
            Oh, I'm sure some 'people' simply adore other 'people' like themselves, really ...

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Some people don't like the idea of other people sharing the music they love because they feel they somehow "own it.
            Or maybe they just want to hear (and share) the music at the concert for which they may well have paid big bucks to attend?

To really concentrate on a piece of music I need to listen to it alone as 'people' (performers obviously excepted)) can tend to get in the way of that dedicated concentration. That is not to say I don't love concert-going, because I do, but the fact remains that some 'people' treat such an event as a mainly social occasion and not primarily as a listening experience. OTOH, to witness 'people' enthusiastically applauding a performance of a piece of music one loves to bits is a joyful, 'sharing' experience without a doubt.

In my most humble of opinions both solitary and group listening have their vital places in the enjoyment and appreciation of great music. Past generations were only extended the privilege of one, and some 'people' remain forever grateful that scientific and inventive achievement has now provided us with glorious HD sound in the comfort of our very own cosy armchairs, and well away from the distractions of 'people'.

Aren't we modern 'people' very lucky indeed?

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
              ... To really concentrate on a piece of music I need to listen to it alone as 'people' (performers obviously excepted)) can tend to get in the way of that dedicated concentration.
              Hmm. I can think of several performers I have a very high regard for but whose audible mannerisms can most definitely get in the way of dedicated concentration. Sorry, no names, no pack drill.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Hmm. I can think of several performers I have a very high regard for but whose audible mannerisms can most definitely get in the way of dedicated concentration. Sorry, no names, no pack drill.
                It can make a considerable difference sometimes. When I was younger I loved Gould's Bach and regarded his singalongs as necessary for his particular genius to function. But then it started to get in the way and for many years I was unable to listen without having to turn off after a few seconds. But thanks to some unseen adjustment in my brain, for the past few months I've been listening to his recordings again very happily, and seem now to be able to treat the vocalisation as an incidental by-product of the music. It's a great relief, as to lose the unique light he casts on the music was a considerable lacuna in my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Well, er, yes, that may well be true!

However, my point clearly was that one needs 'people' to perform music for the rest of us to listen to, though I suspect there will inevitably be those here who will vehemently claim that is not true ... sorry, no names, no pack drill.

Comment

Working...
                  X