Is anyone poised over the keyboard .... ???

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone poised over the keyboard .... ???

I think we've outsourced the pain this year. I can't be bothered with the Proms planner, and waiting in the Queue, so we'll go to bed as normal, and not even try to access the site tomorrow.

In previous years we picked up seats later on - for most of what we wanted, including one (John Wilson) which we'd wasted about 1 man day on with the planner+web site to no avail - that was 2 people for hours each.

So, good luck to anyone who wants to try, but we're not intending to join in for the while.

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    I think we've outsourced the pain this year. I can't be bothered with the Proms planner, and waiting in the Queue, so we'll go to bed as normal, and not even try to access the site tomorrow.

In previous years we picked up seats later on - for most of what we wanted, including one (John Wilson) which we'd wasted about 1 man day on with the planner+web site to no avail - that was 2 people for hours each.

So, good luck to anyone who wants to try, but we're not intending to join in for the while.
    Same here. Never done the 'first day of booking' thing. For me the major advantage of picking up returns etc nearer the date is that you can dictate where in the hall you sit, which for me is crucial to getting anything musically worthwhile out of that acoustic. Have yet to fail to find the necessary...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Already hovering over the keyboard, been on the RAH site to check Proms Planner in order.

Will be up early enough to check all is ok with the laptop.

Is this the sixth or seventh year of online booking? Remember the first time when booking stupidly opened on a Tuesday and we had to take a morning off work?

I like the ' first day of booking' thing but, my goodness, it can be very stressful!
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

As usual, I will prom it. I'm not happy about having to go on-line each day and book a prom ticket though. Like Caliban, I may look for some returns of the odd concert. That system works well - turn up, queue and see what comes up. I've never been disappointed.

Comment

Yes

Comment

Just tried to join the queue. Circumstances meant I couldn't get to the PC earlier. Even the queue is full ! (so per the message I need to stay with the PC and press refresh endlessly for an hour or? then join the end of a very long waiting room queue, and be offered the leavings.....)

So they still can't cope with the demand, in return for the extra fees, worse service? What with the ticket prices, I might not regret not going to the Proms this year.

Comment

I wonder if a different attitude prevails between those who live in London and those who don't?

A question I ask every year never gets answered: what are the odds on getting the tickets you want if you get them personally at the box office the morning booking opens? Is there a huge queue there this morning? If I lived in London this is what I'd do. Has any Forumite tried it?

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                Just tried to join the queue. Circumstances meant I couldn't get to the PC earlier. Even the queue is full ! (so per the message I need to stay with the PC and press refresh endlessly for an hour or? then join the end of a very long waiting room queue, and be offered the leavings.....)

So they still can't cope with the demand, in return for the extra fees, worse service? What with the ticket prices, I might not regret not going to the Proms this year.
                Don't understand. You can't even get on to the RAH website until 9am.

The BBC Proms 2016 are not yet on sale and the Royal Albert Hall website is closed.

Please return to the website at or after 9am. This page will not refresh automatically

Your comments therefore make no sense.
                Last edited by Petrushka; 07-05-16, 08:47.

Comment

The best 'seats' are not booked but become available about 40 minutes before the start of each concert, though some tickets facilitating their occupation may be purchased well in advance.

Comment

I wanted to add a concert to the proms plan (if possible; last minute change of heart within the household). The RaH page doesn't say everyone currently in the waiting room will be ejected and its open season for all, afresh at 09:00. It says the waiting room is full, come back later (the page is not refreshing automatically).

I once travelled to Glyndebourne for the opening of public booking. Perishing cold from 6.30 am. The queue moved so slowly, I tried phoning the box office from my mobile and got through when I was bout 50 people away from physically buying tickets. (This year our car broke down on the M1 when I was rushing back for the midnight opening of public booking. Looks like its going to be a quiet summer, apart from the Proms on the radio... Don't cry for me, a privileged southerner, though, I don't deserve it)

Added on edit : OK. I cleared my cache on the Chrome browser. it gives that message, closed until 9am. I'd been using the planner last night, so perhaps I hadn't completely disconnected, so it might just be that it is open season at 9, and we will not be greeted by an already full waiting room. Let's hope so! Good luck all.....
                    Last edited by Cockney Sparrow; 07-05-16, 08:58.

Comment

I'm hovering over a different keyboard!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

plenty of tickets, at a big premium, on Viagogo.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Queue is shorter this year. Got in and only 3 digits queue number - not the thousands as per last year

Edit: Completed at 09:15.

17 The Norrington Brahms 1
                          66 The Rattle Berlin Brahms 2

The start of my Brahms journey.
                          Last edited by Norrette; 07-05-16, 09:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Norrette View Post
                            Queue is shorter this year. Got in and only 3 digits queue number - not the thousands as per last year
                            You did well! Having tried continuously since 09.00, I got in the queue at 09.12, was number 5230, now 4762.

First year I have tried this. Of all the internet first-day booking systems I have encountered, this is the most user-unfriendly by far.

Comment

In at number 4417 at 9.10. This is much the same as in previous years. Should be done by 10.15.

Comment

Working...
                              X