Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    This is straying somewhat from the OP, but as I see it, having turned the morning output into R3 Lite, it's about time that the afternoon became 'Real Radio 3' - fullfat, organic, slow, thought-provoking, whatever, but more like the Radio 3/Third programme that the original audience appreciated the station for. There are still a great many folks out there who are capable of listening for more than a few minutes at a time, and - shock horror - who are prepared to use their brain cells, rather than needing soundbites and huge(shades of Kenny Everett's giant hands!) clues as to what to think or feel.
    The success on TV of several 'unlikely' presenters and programmes is proof of that appetite.
    Well said!

Comment

Originally posted by seabright View Post
      I wonder how many "oldies" are still around who, as enthusiastic youngsters, attended a Prom fifty years ago given by a world famous conductor who stopped their roof-raising reception of his performance of Tchaikovsky's 5th with the words "beautiful silence!"? ... He then told them they were the most wonderful audience he'd ever conducted and looked forward to returning the following year "if the gods permit." A Prommer called out "I give them sanction" to which the maestro replied "Mephisto!" and then gave the happy throng a Mussorgsky encore.

If I tell you that this famous conductor had given the US premieres of Mahler's 8th Symphony, Schoenberg's "Gurrelieder", Berg's "Wozzeck", Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring", the last three Sibelius symphonies, four of Shostakovich's, Rachmaninov's 3rd Symphony and "Paganini" Rhapsody, Elgar's 2nd Symphony, Vaughan Williams's 9th and Charles Ives's 4th, plus many hundreds more, you'll have probably guessed who he was. So, was anyone in these forums at that concert all those years ago? ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEXYydmnQIs
      Hiya seabright,

Born not to far away from the RAH and a pupil of Stanford too.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Would be interested to know who you had in mind there, odds.
        That could open a can of worms Caliban, but here goes with a small(personal) selection of people and programmes- for different reasons and in no particular order.
        Mary Beard, Prof Brian Cox, Simon Reeve, 'Handmade by appointment', the Sami reindeer trek, the craft films that accompanied the 'Silk Road' series( the latter 2 being slow(and quiet!) tv)
        Sorry I can't bring to mind any music related ones. I enjoyed DON on pianos, but I don't think that quite comes into the category of something that's aimed at the general public but manages to be inclusive of, and interesting to, a wide spectrum of knowledge, understanding and expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
          Hiya seabright,

Born not to far away from the RAH and a pupil of Stanford too.
          Some years ago, the discographer John Hunt compiled a Stokowski 'Concert Register' and you might like to know that in his last season with the Cincinnati Orchestra, in March 1912, Stokowski conducted an all-English programme that included Sullivan's "Di Ballo," Elgar's "Enigma Variations" and Stanford's "Irish" Symphony. Stokowski's last 'World Premiere' was an English work too, broadcast in June 1973 when he was well over 90, of Havergal Brian's 28th Symphony.

Incidentally, there are three "Irish" Symphonies, by Stanford, Harty and Sullivan. I'm not familiar with any of them but I think the Proms organisers ought to follow the precedent set a few years ago, when three Vaughan Williams symphonies were played in the same concert, and have the three "Irish" symphonies played back-to-back so we can decide which one's the best!

Comment

Some years ago, the discographer John Hunt compiled a Stokowski 'Concert Register' and you might like to know that in his last season with the Cincinnati Orchestra, in March 1912, Stokowski conducted an all-English programme that included Sullivan's "Di Ballo," Elgar's "Enigma Variations" and Stanford's "Irish" Symphony. Stokowski's last 'World Premiere' was an English work too, broadcast in June 1973 when he was well over 90, of Havergal Brian's 28th Symphony.

Incidentally, there are three "Irish" Symphonies, by Stanford, Harty and Sullivan. I'm not familiar with any of them but I think the Proms organisers ought to follow the precedent set a few years ago, when three Vaughan Williams symphonies were played in the same concert, and have the three "Irish" symphonies played back-to-back so we can decide which one's the best!
            Seabright,I love these works.
            That's the best suggestion for a Prom since Petrushka's Dyson Violin Concerto,Arnold 9th Symphony idea.
            I'd walk over broken glass to get to those.

Comment

Rather an interesting idea, though "deciding which is best" is too much like The X-factor, Big Brother and CFM's Hall of Fame. Oh, and the best symphony...

Comment

The Stanford, Sullivan, and Harty Symphonies are all attractive pieces which have given me much enjoyment over the years - but I don't think they'd be done any favours put together in one concert. Maybe spread over a Proms season with an "Irish" theme?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X