Prom 43: 17.08.16 - Martha Argerich/Daniel Barenboim /West–Eastern Divan Orchestra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Prom 43: 17.08.16 - Martha Argerich/Daniel Barenboim /West–Eastern Divan Orchestra

19:30 Wednesday 17 Aug 2016 ON TV
    Royal Albert Hall

Jörg Widmann: Con brio
    Franz Liszt: Piano Concerto No 1 in E flat major
    Richard Wagner: Tannhäuser – overture
    Richard Wagner:Götterdämmerung – Dawn and Siegfried’s Rhine Journey ( Funeral March)
    Richard Wagner:The Mastersingers of Nuremberg

Martha Argerich piano
    West-Eastern Divan Orchestra
    Daniel Barenboim conductor

Daniel Barenboim returns with his orchestra of young Arabs and Israelis, and with another iconic musician, Martha Argerich. Composer Jörg Widmann harnessed the energy of Beethoven's fast movements in the 'exercise in fury and rhythmic insistence' that is his Con brio.
    After Liszt's thunderously virtuosic First Piano Concerto, Daniel Barenboim - who conducted Wagner's Ring cycle at the Proms in 2013 - concludes with powerful excerpts from three of the composer's operas.

Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 20-08-16, 16:54.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Jörg Widmann: Con brio
    Jörg Widmann conducts the chamber orchestra of the SHMF at the last concert of the 2013 festival summer on 25th of August in Wotersen. They perform "Con Brio...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

What's an iconic musician?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        What's an iconic musician?
        John Tavener?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Will Martha turn up?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            John Tavener?

A musician wearing a tall round pointed hat.

Comment

• zola
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
              Will Martha turn up?
              Well, she has cancelled the scheduled performance of this programme at Salzburg with Barenboim himself stepping in to play Mozart instead of Liszt. So be prepared.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by zola View Post
                Well, she has cancelled the scheduled performance of this programme at Salzburg with Barenboim himself stepping in to play Mozart instead of Liszt. So be prepared.
                She didn't turn up for her last Prom appearance either!!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

I'm going to this Prom and the programme is good enough whether MA turns up or not. I've seen Argerich several times and over the years have been lucky to suffer only one cancellation. Having said that, I'm not what you would call a fan and I'll not be that bothered if it's another 'no-show'.

While on the topic, I've never understood the indulgence shown by managements and audiences to certain artists (and MA is a prime example) who are serial no show merchants. Managements should refuse to engage them and audiences stay away.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                    • Jan 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    While on the topic, I've never understood the indulgence shown by managements and audiences to certain artists (and MA is a prime example) who are serial no show merchants. Managements should refuse to engage them and audiences stay away.
                    I do stay away - Anja Harteros and Netrebko at the Royal Opera House come to mind. In their case, being cast is no more than a vague intention.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      I do stay away - Anja Harteros and Netrebko at the Royal Opera House come to mind. In their case, being cast is no more than a vague intention.
                      I have booked to see Argerich four times and she has always turned up and blown me away by her playing .

Comment

• Darkbloom
                        • Feb 2015

I suppose it will be beefed out with a few encores, but the programme looks a little light - both in terms of duration and musical content - and the presence of Argerich makes it more appealing than it otherwise would be, at least to me. These concerts of shortish pieces never seem to settle or find their centre, and you leave wondering where it all went. They have given more substantial concerts elsewhere on this tour, so it looks like the Proms have been given the rough end of the stick. Or perhaps they are catering to a perceived lack of attention-span on the part of the audience.

Comment

• Prommer
                          • Dec 2010

Is she coming then? They are in Lucerne doing this tonight.

I think the encores are likely to be confined to the band in the second half, if the programme in Salzburg is anything to go by. (DMVN Act 3 prelude plus Lohengrin ditto.)

Comment

• Prommer
                            • Dec 2010

Well, they did it in Lucerne, so fingers crossed for tomorrow!

Comment

• Tetrachord
                              • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Darkbloom View Post
                              I suppose it will be beefed out with a few encores, but the programme looks a little light - both in terms of duration and musical content - and the presence of Argerich makes it more appealing than it otherwise would be, at least to me. These concerts of shortish pieces never seem to settle or find their centre, and you leave wondering where it all went. They have given more substantial concerts elsewhere on this tour, so it looks like the Proms have been given the rough end of the stick. Or perhaps they are catering to a perceived lack of attention-span on the part of the audience.
                              I've always found her playing far too rushed; as if she has to get it out of the way because she has another appointment afterwards. Pass.

Comment

Working...
                              X