Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Royal Albert Hall this Proms Season

Whatever is going on outside the Royal Albert Hall this season? The place looks like a mix between a construction site and a fortress.

I suppose we have to accept the hideous concrete blocks as a sign of the times and the security, though well meaning seems a touch OTT to me but then I suppose some will derive comfort from that. On the other hand is there really any need for security staff to go chasing after two elderly women who hadn't had their bags searched? Some perspective surely?

I had naively thought that the refurbishment work carried out a few years ago would have been enough but the front of the hall, facing the Albert Memorial, is yet again wreathed in scaffolding as it was last year and the rear is again being dug up for 'essential roadworks' leading to it being shut off forcing different queuing arrangements for Arena and Gallery. Diggers etc are visible through gaps in the metal fence.

The Proms season is the RAH's biggest time of the year when it has a very high profile but, frankly, the way it is now, the environs look forbidding, unwelcoming and a total mess. All ok inside though which is what counts but shouldn't these endless refurbs be carried out in the winter months?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

There always seems Building work going on, either roadworks or otherwise. We have to be thankful I think for concrete blocks, to prevent any untoward events happening. I'm surprised none has? Last time me and MrsBBM were there, was around March last year for the Mountbatten Festival of Music. We were searched as well.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      Whatever is going on outside the Royal Albert Hall this season? The place looks like a mix between a construction site and a fortress.
      but shouldn't these endless refurbs be carried out in the winter months?
      And what's the weather typically like in winter? Cold, often very wet and very windy. Hardly the conditions to be doing scaffolding work in, surely?

Comment

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
        And what's the weather typically like in winter? Cold, often very wet and very windy. Hardly the conditions to be doing scaffolding work in, surely?
        Building works go on all year round no matter what the weather. A delay until September or October wouldn't have hurt. I'm assuming that you haven't been so far this season? If you had you might see what I mean.

BBM: Not surprised at security at the Mountbatten Festival with so many military personnel present. It really is very highly visible this year which I suppose is no surprise either.

Comment

I suppose it must be a necessary measure but last Saturday we were quite taken aback by the ugliness of the concrete barriers and checkpoints they have erected by Prince Consort Road at the foot of the flight of steps up to the Hall.

Comment

BBM: Not surprised at security at the Mountbatten Festival with so many military personnel present. It really is very highly visible this year which I suppose is no surprise either.
            Pet - I can't comment on the RAH works as I haven't seen them and won't be going, but I think the lesson of the last year or two at home and abroad has been that the prime targets are civilian, and soft. A nightly gathering of 4-5000 people, in an iconic, enclosed space? I'd imagine a great deal of thought, and training, has gone into the security - including whether to search all bags, as people can in theory be carrying something they didn't realise they were carrying (thinking of your old ladies ). Threats, and responses, are constantly evolving. I'd be jolly pleased if I were you!

Comment

I'd be quite happy to be searched. It might be a minor inconvenience, but run of the norm. HRH Prince Phillip was at the Mountbatten Festival!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                I'd be quite happy to be searched. It might be a minor inconvenience, but run of the norm. HRH Prince Phillip was at the Mountbatten Festival!
                "We may be dealing with a madman", a high-ranking police officer said.

Comment

If it's any consolation, the Usher Hall's outside area took a LONG time to be transformed from a small road to a completely pedestrianised zone. However, like the never ending tram works in Princes Street, now it's finished the inconvenience is largely forgotten.

Comment

BBM and Richard: I think you are responding to something I'm not actually saying. Apart from looking askance at the hideousness of the concrete blocks and having a wry grin at the staff chasing after two old ladies who had somehow bypassed the bag search, I'm not in any way criticising the security in place at the RAH which, sadly, is a necessary evil.

The environs of the hall are my main concern. You would think making the Hall exterior and surrounding area looking as good as possible for the Proms, surely the most high profile event in the year for the RAH, a high priority. Therefore, if I was hall management I would be looking at any remedial work being either completed or put on hold for the duration unless it constitutes a danger. The fact remains that it is disappointing to have the front wrapped in scaffolding (again, part of it was last year as well) while this together with the rear construction works give the hall a down at heel feel. The hall had extensive refurbishment done a few years ago at enormous cost. Does it really need looking at so soon?

Comment

Well, it was a not very pleasant experience yesterday: hopefully things will bed down as the season progresses, because at the moment I don't feel inclined to put myself through it too often. I usually avoid playing the disability card at the Proms, but was struggling with all the additional standing last night (but not as much as some other people I noticed - maybe it's okay when the ground is dry, but what happens when it rains?) and a lot of people seemed upset at being unable to go to the pre-Prom talk - understandably. I really don't see why we have to be back in the queue by 5.45. It's really unfortunate that they had to move the Gallery queue this year of all years, and that the building works are so massive at this busy time of year.

I must be looking in the wrong places, because I can't see much about the changed queuing arrangements either on the BBC website or the RAH one.

Comment

Oh, and ideally go with a friend: that way they can look after your things when you need to go to the loo/box office or get something to eat or drink. Might cut down on unnecessary bag searching.

Comment

The Edinburgh Festival starts next week and I'm wondering if there will be extra security in evidence at the main venues. Mind you, since the Festival pretty much takes over the entire city centre it might be hard to police everything all the times.

Sad times.

Comment

The Proms season is the RAH's biggest time of the year when it has a very high profile but, frankly, the way it is now, the environs look forbidding, unwelcoming and a total mess. All ok inside though which is what counts but shouldn't these endless refurbs be carried out in the winter months?
                            The construction work is best explained here: http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/onl...=NR2JPRRP00400

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but I understand from someone who works at the Hall that the 'hole' will still be there next season. This is a big job. In any case, the Hall is in use all year round. It more-or-less has to be - it's a ridiculously expensive structure to maintain.

The security measures speak for themselves, but there have been knock-on effects. I get the impression that someone thought it would be a good idea to have the promming queues go in earlier, to allow more time for bag-checking. This meant that prommers couldn't go to the Proms Extra talks without losing their places in the queue. It took the Proms Extra organisers a few days to work out why their audiences had dropped off so much, but clearly they did, and must have had a word with the Hall management, because lining-up and going-in times are later now than they were at the start of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilipT View Post
                              The construction work is best explained here: http://idoxpa.westminster.gov.uk/onl...=NR2JPRRP00400

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but I understand from someone who works at the Hall that the 'hole' will still be there next season. This is a big job. In any case, the Hall is in use all year round. It more-or-less has to be - it's a ridiculously expensive structure to maintain.
                              Here's a bit more information:
                              "As the Hall approaches its 150th anniversary in 2021, a two-storey, double-height basement is being excavated to provide much-needed space for artists, crew and promoters, and to provide more facilities for audiences within the Hall."

So the audience can expect facilities as well? Forgive my cynicism - it will probably prove to be more opportunities to experience their overpriced catering. Which I am sure contributes to propping up the building. I paid £2.50 last week for a paper cup of liquid which bore no resemblance to any form of coffee I've encountered. The staff exchanged it for tea (water+teabag - the rest under my control - more of a known quantity) with an air of familiarity and acceptance.

DIY catering is pretty much essential for the RAH - except - from the bag search signs - they confiscate food/drink in ones rucksacks or bags? Seems like the only way forward*** is allowing time for a meal (restaurant or other) in South Ken/somewhere, or picnic on Victoria memorial steps in summer weather, and taking clear liquids in under the heading of water - Elderflower?? Vodka?? (I must consult my twenty something children for the nightclub ruses....

*** or stay at home, I know the only option for many, and listen to the FLAC lossless stream!

Comment

Working...
                              X