No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you want from a televised Prom?

From http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...033#post631033

What do you want? A concert performance or a photograph? This, and many other posts on this thread are way off the subject.
    Having watched and enjoyed most of this tv broadcast (missed most of the Mozart... and the dress ) I have been mulling starting a thread about the tv broadcasts of Proms (and perhaps others). It seems to me that there are interesting ideas and views about their function for us individually.

For now I'll restrict myself to saying that I always want to see as much of the conductor as possible: for example, Haitink's stick technique interested me. Since directors like to zero in on soloists and sections as they 'take centre stage' musically, it is inevitable that our attention is drawn to gesture, dress, face and so on.
    When you watch a television broadcast of a Prom - or any other concert - what is it you hope to get from seeing the pictures as well as hearing the sound?

Given newer technology, is there another way of providing visuals?

Pictures better on radio? http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...etter-on-Radio

Comment

One of the best Proms I ever saw televised was back in the mid 80's when a young Simon Rattle conducted the Philharmonia Orchestra in Rachmaninov's Second Symphony. What I remember, apart from an orchestra giving their all, was the tv coverage. The director had obviously thought long and hard about what was playing and there were some fabulous shots of the players intensity including a long shot of the whole fiddle section moving their bows as one to emphasise a particular note. (Portato, I seem to remember it being called by my teacher).

This was at the dawn of vhs recording and I watched the resulting tape every day after school, imagining myself one day playing in that marvellous section. And yes, I enjoyed the shots of the pretty woman in the orchestra including a red haired violinist!

I suppose what I want is a sense of the director being as involved as the musicians since it does transfer to the screen. The Berliner Philharmoniker's digital concert hall is a model of this since there's obviously extremely thorough preparation. I also believe it's good for the players - there's never a sense of routine or slouching at the back or surreptitious yawning!

As a player, tv concerts can be extremely informative giving one the opportunity to see great players in very close detail.

Comment

I thought that the broadcast of Birtwistle's Deep Time was pretty impressive - cameras capturing essential solos; cues from conductor to players; the concentration on the players' faces; wide shots of ensemble playing; the grin from principal trumpet to his colleagues after a passage. Helped the "narrative" of the work for the first few listens.

Couldn't care less, and seldom notice what people are wearing - unless it's meant to draw attention to itself; and I would probably notice if any/everyone were naked.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

For me music is 99% listening, so televised concerts aren't for me - I just get my head down. But I do have a lot of respect for the camerapersons and whoever co-ordinates them: they must have their eyes screwed to the score so as to know who's to be dropped in on next, plus of course the knowledge of knowing where to find them, particularly in a large orchestra.

Comment

Easily the best director in my view is/was Barrie Gavin. He just seemed to get it right every time for me.

I'm not looking for any gimmicks, I just want a visual representation of what I would see myself if my eyes were the camera. If it's a work I know well (a Mahler symphony, say) it's great feeling of satisfaction when a director like Gavin or Humphrey Burton do exactly what I would do if I was directing myself.

I really don't like too much camera on the conductor, as most of the time it's lazy direction or a default position. What really irritates is when the percussion is never shown and you'd be surprised how often this happens. My 'concert seat eyes' tell me to move to the timps or cymbals or whatever but all too often the camera stays stuck on the conductor and it infuriates me.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

I'd like on-screen graphics indicating the locations of forumites in the hall/arena

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Easily the best director in my view is/was Barrie Gavin. He just seemed to get it right every time for me.

I'm not looking for any gimmicks, I just want a visual representation of what I would see myself if my eyes were the camera. If it's a work I know well (a Mahler symphony, say) it's great feeling of satisfaction when a director like Gavin or Humphrey Burton do exactly what I would do if I was directing myself.

I really don't like too much camera on the conductor, as most of the time it's lazy direction or a default position. What really irritates is when the percussion is never shown and you'd be surprised how often this happens. My 'concert seat eyes' tell me to move to the timps or cymbals or whatever but all too often the camera stays stuck on the conductor and it infuriates me.
                It was an role that was new for television producers.

Most of the early televised concerts were directed by Patricia Foy.

Of course, mistakes were made - it was a new challenge, but "Paddy" Foy's worse clangers were often the subject of amusement among the rest of us working for the BBC at that time.

Here's an example:

"On you, One"
                "Stand by, Three"
                "Coming to you, Four"
                "Oops! Sorry, Two!"

No malice intended. It was just a good story - and a lesson to be learned about this unknown territory.

HS

Comment

Live music televisation in general, or the broadcasting thereof, could form an interesting subject for a thread. But I'm wondering if it would be within the remit of this particular forum?

Comment

I think what I'd want most would be the famous warmth of the Proms audience...not the easiest thing to convey.

Comment

On the whole, I think the producers do a good job with these broadcasts. The only drawback is the constant jabbering of presenters, giving an audio description of what can already be seen on the screen. And let's not get into the whole interval talk thing.

Comment

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                        I think what I'd want most would be the famous warmth of the Proms audience...not the easiest thing to convey.
                        What do I want ?
                        I want a guillotine in the middle of the arena for the folks who do the whole "heave ho" & bobbing up and down thing
                        (on the last night)

Comment

I want the fountain back in the middle for Prom 54.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            I want the fountain back in the middle for Prom 54.
                            I want Michel Redolfi to play the encore in Prom 54

Comment

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                              I'd like on-screen graphics indicating the locations of forumites in the hall/arena

Comment

Working...
                              X