Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 season: Prom 71

The highlight of this Prom was the Shostakovich 11th Symphony. I made various attempts to whistle killer harmonies throughout. All failed miserably. The best bit was the super aggressive fugue as it rattled round the orchestra. Honestly the whole symphony seemed to go on for ever. You got to what you thought was an ending and then some completely new section would begin. By the last note I wondered if any of the audience were left breathing. I thought I was but I couldn't be sure. I might have gone to heaven, or possibly hell eek. I think we can say it was an intense performance. By the time I had given my widows mite to the Prommers and stepped out into the fresh air I felt quite revived. Pity I missed the last train home. Had to stay in St Pancreas Station all night playing the concourse piano. Made a good fist of Beethoven's 9th Symphony first movement by ear and from memory. Also loads of Magic Flute, Adelaide and Goldberg Variations just the same way. I was tired but happy the following morning.

Here's an original observation:

Pop music has a beginning and an end. Classical music has a beginning and a dozen endings. Gotta spin it out somehow. He's a windup windup ~ Dr Feelgood

The Russian Funeral by Britten at the same gig was fab. Totally awesome composition. There was a great piss take in the middle akin to Shossie parodying Stalin's fave folk song by super compression. Stalin was too thick to get it. Maybe just as well eh? The salt mines would have beckoned or worse!!! Ciao from the modern version of L v B. Tom Ades himself, and friend.

Originally posted by tomades View Post
    The highlight of this Prom was the Shostakovich 11th Symphony. I made various attempts to whistle killer harmonies throughout. All failed miserably. The best bit was the super aggressive fugue as it rattled round the orchestra. Honestly the whole symphony seemed to go on for ever. You got to what you thought was an ending and then some completely new section would begin. By the last note I wondered if any of the audience were left breathing. I thought I was but I couldn't be sure. I might have gone to heaven, or possibly hell eek. I think we can say it was an intense performance. By the time I had given my widows mite to the Prommers and stepped out into the fresh air I felt quite revived. Pity I missed the last train home. Had to stay in St Pancreas Station all night playing the concourse piano. Made a good fist of Beethoven's 9th Symphony first movement by ear and from memory. Also loads of Magic Flute, Adelaide and Goldberg Variations just the same way. I was tired but happy the following morning.

Here's an original observation:

Pop music has a beginning and an end. Classical music has a beginning and a dozen endings. Gotta spin it out somehow. He's a windup windup ~ Dr Feelgood

The Russian Funeral by Britten at the same gig was fab. Totally awesome composition. There was a great piss take in the middle akin to Shossie parodying Stalin's fave folk song by super compression. Stalin was too thick to get it. Maybe just as well eh? The salt mines would have beckoned or worse!!! Ciao from the modern version of L v B. Tom Ades himself, and friend.
    .. And a very warm welcome to the forum, tomades - man or woman after my own heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      .. And a very warm welcome to the forum, tomades - man or woman after my own heart.

Comment

The Shostakovich was a brilliant performance, Full of what the composer intedned. Very well played and executed as well. The more popular Proms I tend to not bother with, as the artists don't seem to be able to string two sentences together!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

For future reference and the ultimate precision I'm an alpha male.

Comment

Working...
          X