Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
    Of course. Although I don't respond to his music I should at least spell his name correctly.
    It`s a fair cop, guv.

Now can we have a re-broadcast including the missing minutes?

Comment

Terrific, apart from the interruptions, but I thought Barenboim was struggling to get through the last movement. He looked really tired.

Maybe I've had too much whisky but give it a f*****g rest, Tom.
      Last edited by pastoralguy; 16-07-17, 21:49.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
        Terrific, apart from the interruptions, but I thought Barenboim was struggling to get through the last movement. He looked really tired.

Maybe I've had too much whisky but give it a f*****g rest, Tom.

Comment

Mmm come on Daniel tell us what you really think,....

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
            I wouldn't have minded missing the inter-movement applause!
            Hear hear. So irritating

Sorry if this has been done to death - but WHAT is this Proms thing about applauding between the movements of a multi-movement work? I attend concerts (not in London) on a fairly regular basis, and I've never noticed it elsewhere. Is it because the Proms audiences feel such an excess of enthusiasm that they cannot contain themselves? Or is it just a kind of perverse "we'll do it because we can!" thing?

Comment

I gather there was a problem - I was recording from FM to mini-disc so I don't know what I have recorded - however I have lost the end as we had a power cut locally.

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                I wouldn't have minded missing the inter-movement applause!
                Oh, they're at it again are they - why?

Comment

inter movement applause is surely mostly down to people being new to this kind of concert... which is part of the point of them, isn't it?

Probably more prevalent when there are lots of corporates about,I would suggest.

Not as bad as the endless volleys of ( mostly ) unnecessary coughing which carry over into the next movement......
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by peterthekeys View Post
                    Hear hear. So irritating

Sorry if this has been done to death - but WHAT is this Proms thing about applauding between the movements of a multi-movement work? I attend concerts (not in London) on a fairly regular basis, and I've never noticed it elsewhere. Is it because the Proms audiences feel such an excess of enthusiasm that they cannot contain themselves? Or is it just a kind of perverse "we'll do it because we can!" thing?
                    It usually starts with a few hesitant claps, which is then taken up by more, or less, depending on the occasion. I don't mind particularly, but if you are going to applaud I wish it wasn't so half-hearted.

Comment

I think we have to resign ourselves to the fact that the Proms now is probably the only major concert sequence where inter-movement applause has now become almost a tradition. I hate it, but I think for some it is a sort of conscious revolt against the established order.

Unless and until the BBC or individual ensembles request otherwise in programmes, on billboards round the RAH, I think it is here to stay. What surprises me is that it does NOT happen - or seem to - in any other live concert relay the Beeb does. I wonder why not? Different audience maybe?

Comment

I wonder if the carry -out from this concert isn't the inter movement applause but DB's views on Brexit....? On a musical note he took P and C slower tonight and it was all the better for it. It's been a long time since I've heard so much 'political' use of music and , without reliving the trials of last June, I think our somewhat deracinated culture is the better for it...

Comment

Originally posted by ARBurton View Post
                          + 1

The thing is ... when he was talking to Birtwistle, he didn't adopt this persona - and when Harry tried to squeeze out of a tightish corner, TS wasn't having any of it. He writes well too - what in flip's name makes him think that this prattish gurgling is going to endear anyone to the Music about to be played?!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Heldenleben View Post
                            I think our somewhat deracinated culture is the better for it...
                            Post-Brexit we've got to say "deshakesperated".
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Excellent ....still laughing ...

Comment

To be fair to Tom Service he did say the Elgar was going to be a landmark performance even before it was played
                                I don't think it was as good a performance as the recent BBC Phil broadcast earlier this month that was discussed on here.
                                Yes the P & C 1 was more convincing for the slower tempo,would love to have heard the big tune from no 4 played by these fine musicians

Comment

Working...
                                X