• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
    Interesting to see the huge number of EU flags in the hall, especially towards the back, and then the frequent cuts to the Park(s), to reveal... hardly any! Even in Hyde Oark, just down the road. Rather revealing of where they had been given out!
    OR the v.different outlooks of the two different audiences?

Comment

• BasilHarwood
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      OR the v.different outlooks of the two different audiences?
      Not really, this explains:

Former Ukip leader accuses concertgoers who waved flags of being in denial after remain campaigners hand out thousands

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Hear, hear... what were they doing in the Hall meanwhile? Was there a red button option etc?
        I've often wondered about that. Can any LNOTP attender enlighten us?

Comment

• PhilipT
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
          I've often wondered about that. Can any LNOTP attender enlighten us?
          I was in the Hall. There were screens in the Hall that showed us what was happening in each Park, but what we heard was the performers in the Hall doing the same works, out of sync.

I don't see that it can be done any other way. The shape of the Hall is such that giving everyone a decent view of a screen is impossible, and we can hardly be left standing there listening to nothing while waiting for the Parks to finish.

Whether we should have these additions to the canonical Sea Songs is a different question. I'd prefer not, but if it's the price we pay to tie the Parks audiences into the performance in the Hall, then maybe.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            Can anyone actually recall a half decent Last Night speech in recent years? I like Mr Oramo but blimey that was boring again.
            Sir Andrew Davis was always in his element and his Last Night speeches were usually entertaining but I don't suppose that counts as recent nowadays. Despite having done the Last Night on a number of occasions, Sir Colin Davis didn't really like it but one of the very first classical LPs I had was his 1969 LNOP on the Philips label and his speech there is just how it should be done in my view.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Sir Andrew Davis was always in his element and his Last Night speeches were usually entertaining but I don't suppose that counts as recent nowadays. Despite having done the Last Night on a number of occasions, Sir Colin Davis didn't really like it but one of the very first classical LPs I had was his 1969 LNOP on the Philips label and his speech there is just how it should be done in my view.
              I've always been disappointed post-Sargent.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Perhaps they should have just asked Barenboim to give the Last Night Speech?
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Promgoer
                  • Aug 2017

Ed Gardner had a good delivery I thought. Sakari doesn't communicate very well in his speeches. Too many pauses which encourage frequent applause. I think the BBC is more likely to add to someone's speech, rather than take away from it. Marin Alsop just banged on about women conductors in both her speeches, and Sakari continued that theme. On a different note (ho-ho), having been in the hall, the amount of time between pieces due to stage/personnel/instrument changes meant for a very disjointed show. Surely the programme could be better planned...

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Promgoer View Post
                    Ed Gardner had a good delivery I thought. Sakari doesn't communicate very well in his speeches. Too many pauses which encourage frequent applause. I think the BBC is more likely to add to someone's speech, rather than take away from it. Marin Alsop just banged on about women conductors in both her speeches, and Sakari continued that theme. On a different note (ho-ho), having been in the hall, the amount of time between pieces due to stage/personnel/instrument changes meant for a very disjointed show. Surely the programme could be better planned...
                    Viewing from home it would appear that the Hall audience had to wait for the loquacious KD to finish her spiel to camera before proceeding. I wondered how Oramo knew when to start the next piece if he was stranded on the podium. Semaphore signals from the R3 box perhaps?
                    O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Prommer
                      • Dec 2010

KD looks and behaves (despite periodic efforts to demonstrate how "fun" she is) as if running through a field of wheat - with or without Mrs May - would have been the extent of her naughtiness or daring as a child...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

KD looks and behaves (despite periodic efforts to demonstrate how "fun" she is) as if running through a field of wheat - with or without Mrs May - would have been the extent of her naughtiness or daring as a child...
                        ... and ... ?
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Hornspieler
                          Late Member
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
                          I absolutely love the Kodály Te Deum. The first recording I had of it was on a Westminster LP, conducted by Henry Swoboda (with Sena Jurinac - no less - as the soprano soloist). Ferencsik on Hungaroton is very good, and in decent sound.

The Kodály conducted performance (which I like very much) is also here, reissued by Hungaroton and on a 2-disc set that seems to be available for 12 quid or so. I have had it for a few years and would definitely recommend it to Kodály enthusiasts.

You can hear it here too:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx5q...yRg_WASqFUsDkP
                          I am a great fan of Hungarian music and especialloy of Kodaly, Brahms and Liszt (No I haven't been drinking!)

Regarding the Last Night of the Proms, I too prefer the old system of the First Half being of a natural Overture, Concerto and maybe Orchestral Suite and leaving the Second Half for the Jollities and diversions, where the audience can take part with enthusiasm (without going "Over the Top" like most recent years).

Being a great fan of Hungarian music, my first half would be something like this:

Kodaly Dances from Galanta

Brahms Any one of his orchestrated Hungarian Dances

Franz Liszt Les Preludes

Kodaly A Summer Night

Kodaly Suite : Hàry Janos

For the second half of the concert, I would cut out all the flag waving, which I think is offensive to many listeners and inappropriate in our present generation and concentrate on such as Elgar's Pomp and Circumstance and, I would suggest, something which would reach all prommers and lovers of peace and good will to all.

That, I am sure, would get rid of all the trouble makers, who think it is funny to spoil others enjoyment.

HS
                          Last edited by Hornspieler; 11-09-17, 12:45.

Comment

• Prommer
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                            ... and ... ?
                            A number of comments here about the presentation, so I think not out of order.

Mine was essentially to convey the idea that she is dull. Enforced jollity rather than genuine warmth and fun and/or authoritative comment. Superficial gush.

Pronounced Tristan as in T&I as if his surname was Farnon.

Silly package about the RAH with her popping in and put of doors grinning like a cheshire cat.

Too much chattering! Arguably holding up the actual concert.

Grr...

Comment

• Prommer
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Hornspieler View Post
                              For the second half of the concert, I would cut out all the flag waving, which I think is offensive to many listeners and inappropriate in our present generation and concentrate on such as Pomp and Circumstance and, I would suggest, something which would reach all prommers and lovers of peace and good will to all.
                              Cutting out the flag waving would be a repressive act, surely?

Not sure flag waving can offend any listeners - some viewers maybe.

Why is waving of flags "inappropriate in our present generation"? Even EU ones? Or just national ones? Or is it that people now cannot wave flags without wishing to commit 'acts of violence in Grosvenor Square'?

Comment

• Stanfordian
                                • Dec 2010

Cutting out the flag waving would be a repressive act, surely?

Not sure flag waving can offend any listeners - some viewers maybe.

Why is waving of flags "inappropriate in our present generation"? Even EU ones? Or just national ones? Or is it that people now cannot wave flags without wishing to commit 'acts of violence in Grosvenor Square'?
                                To quite frank I'm fed up with the tedium of the concluding part of the Last Night. Although I have no probelm with tradition it's the same old pieces every year. The powers that be seem to like non-British performers namely conductor and soloist. For my money a rethink is in order. And what's that Proms in the Park business all about?

How long before it will be Sir and Lady Rattle engaged for the Last Night celebrations? Maybe baby Rattle (aged 3 years old) might have a role too!

Comment

Working...
                                X