Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 24 (4.08.20) Sibelius: Kullervo

This evening, Finnish conductor Sakari Oramo pairs two of Sibelius’s most engagingly descriptive works as part of a Proms season that marked 150 years since the composer’s birth. The folk hero Kullervo was the inspiration behind a powerful national statement for a country struggling to overthrow Russian rule. This massive musical hybrid – part cantata, part symphony, part suite – is a vivid work, richly melodic but looking ahead to modernism in some striking musical gestures.

The opening work, En saga, is a fairy tale without a plot, whose contrasting movements suggest many possible stories, but never commit to just one. Sibelius began working on the piece in 1891, soon after returning from musical studies in Vienna and Berlin. It wasn’t until 1902, however, that he completed the version we know today.

Sibelius: En saga
    Sibelius: Kullervo

Johanna Rusanen (soprano)
    Waltteri Torikka (baritone)
    Polyteknikkojen Kuoro
    BBC Symphony Chorus (men's voices)
    BBC Symphony Orchestra
    Sakari Oramo (conductor)
    (From the BBC Proms 2015, 29 August)
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 31-07-20, 23:40.

This Kullervo performance appeared on a BBC Music Magazine CD in 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      This Kullervo performance appeared on a BBC Music Magazine CD in 2017.
      Which I am glad to have. One of those memorable nights at the Proms. The orchestra gave their all in this concert.

This work has been a favourite of mine since the release of the vinyl Berglund recording and there was much pleasure hearing it in such a committed performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
        Which I am glad to have. One of those memorable nights at the Proms. The orchestra gave their all in this concert.
        I'll echo that. We arrived in reasonably good time to join the Arena queue (quite short - not a work of mass popularity) and were confronted with a very large group of robust-looking young men walking in the opposite direction along Prince Consort Road. We realised this must be the Finnish choir reporting for duty. Neither of us knew Kullervo that well and it was a marvellous opportunity to get its full effect in a live scenario.

Comment

Just got around to listening to yesterday's Kullervo via Sounds. Very satisfying to listen to the sound mix for the first time having loved it in the Hall five years ago from the Arena perspective. What a beautiful and stimulating experience it was. An excitingly vibrant stereo treat with BBCSO on stunning form and thrilling singing from the choir and soloists.

Comment

En Saga thrilling as well. Top notch repeat

Comment

I'm sure when I heard it at the Proms years ago now I was sitting in the Choir seats. Does that sound likely for Kullervo? I thought I'd seen the choir sitting there.

Comment

The choir from Finland in the 2015 performance wore sailors rating caps - with a ribbon at the side. A tradition of the Polytech chorus (forget why). I would have looked out for a performance of Kullervo, but don't recall one. But it might well have passed me by.

Comment

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                  I'm sure when I heard it at the Proms years ago now I was sitting in the Choir seats. Does that sound likely for Kullervo? I thought I'd seen the choir sitting there.
                  2002 https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ecgzc8

1997 https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/evqxj5

1979 https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ehwxj5

Comment

Originally posted by alywin View Post
                    I'm sure when I heard it at the Proms years ago now I was sitting in the Choir seats. Does that sound likely for Kullervo?

That’s not only possible but quite probable.

I sang at the 2015 prom and don’t recall any of the choir seats being in use (by the chorus), despite the sizeable combined BBCSC and Polytech choirs.
                    Last edited by EnemyoftheStoat; 25-10-20, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                      The choir from Finland in the 2015 performance wore sailors rating caps - with a ribbon at the side. A tradition of the Polytech chorus (forget why).
                      From the intermission chat between Ian Skelly, the Polytech Choir director Saara Aittakumpu, and a chorus member who sang that night, Mikko 'Lefrus' (or something like that; no idea how to spell his last name, obviously), Mikko L. explained:

"The hats are specific to students of engineering who are past their first year. So they get them on the 1st of May of their first year as students of engineering, and they are only to be worn between 1st of May and then this event during the autumn when the hats are put to rest."
                      I can't remember hearing this Prom at the time in 2015, which is odd, given my great love of Sibelius' music, and in particular that I really have an amazingly soft spot for En saga. So this archival Prom was obviously on my list to hear. I echo the others' praise here for this Prom. I even listened to En saga twice, with the volume turned up just a bit the second time around, really to relish in the sound of the orchestra.

Comment

Working...
                      X