Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single-page Proms Listing and pdfs

After a few adjustments my code has at last produced a single-page listing and a pair of printable pdf files (2-column and 3-column), which appear to be correct...

I'll add the links to the forum sidebar shortly.

The proms aren't numbered this year, and I've reflected this in the headings. However the 'jump to prom' shortcuts allocate numbers to them, basically by numbering all of the RAH concerts in sequence. I've numbered the Cadogan Hall concerts "PCM01" to "PCM11".

I'll update the lists periodically to reflect any updates made by the BBC.

If anybody spots any errors or omissions, please let me know. Does anyone experience problems with the top line (of buttons) being too long?

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
    Does anyone experience problems with the top line (of buttons) being too long?
    Not on iMac or MacBook. If there are people who want to access them on their phones … (do they?) ... I'm one of those weirdos who always has my bookmarks sidebar open, so I'm not even looking at it full screen, and it's okay.

Looks like a great job, Andrew! Thanks.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks for your support. What I was concerned about re. the top line is that if the screen is too narrow it splits into two lines and obscures either the main header or the beginning of the selected prom listing, depending where you are in the file.

I seem to have missed out the durations and special notes to indicate commissions and premieres etc. I think they came "free" previously; now I need to extract them actively. I'll have a go later in the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
        After a few adjustments my code has at last produced a single-page listing and a pair of printable pdf files (2-column and 3-column), which appear to be correct...

I'll add the links to the forum sidebar shortly.

The proms aren't numbered this year, and I've reflected this in the headings. However the 'jump to prom' shortcuts allocate numbers to them, basically by numbering all of the RAH concerts in sequence. I've numbered the Cadogan Hall concerts "PCM01" to "PCM11".

I'll update the lists periodically to reflect any updates made by the BBC.

If anybody spots any errors or omissions, please let me know. Does anyone experience problems with the top line (of buttons) being too long?
        No problem here, thank you!

Comment

Thanks Andrew
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

For 364 days of the year, I simply browse these forums, enjoying the expert knowledge being shared and the friendly banter. But on one day a year I always feel compelled to put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard) to thank Andrew for his marvellous annual effort in putting together his Proms Guide for us all. This is that day - thank you Andrew!
            Last edited by BrianWilks; 01-06-21, 22:14.

Comment

Thanks very much for all your superb work again Andrew - much appreciated .

Comment

Many thanks for all your comments.

I've updated the listing to version 2 - the content is unchanged except for the addition of durations and 'work notes' such as indications of commissions or sections of pieces. I've improved the layout slightly by adding a line space between pieces by the same composer, and I've italicised the "ON TV" markers - note that these link to the BBC Proms TV page.

Comment

Thank you for all the effort you put into producing these every year. The BBC insist on making it as difficult as possible to read the listings when all anybody wants is a simple page with the information.

Comment

Many thanks for all your kind comments.

Following an alert from bluestateprommer, to whom many thanks, I've updated the listing to version 3, to include a few additions.

Comment

Following an alert from bluestateprommer, to whom many thanks, I've now updated the listing to version 4, to include a few additions and changes.

Comment

The mystery proms have now been announced and I have been alerted by bluestateprommer's post, to whom many thanks, for an update on the proms of 2nd August and 3rd September.

I've updated the listing to version 5 to include all changes to date.

Comment

As ever, many thanks are due to Andrew for providing what I suspect the BBC could far more easily provide, if only it could be bothered.

Does anyone know if the pocket-sized Proms mini-guide has been published this year, and if so, whether it's available anywhere else but the RAH? With *all* the relevant Undergrounds currently out, I'm not sure I want to bother making the trek over to the RAH just on the off-chance.

Comment

I've just updated everything to version 6. I haven't analysed all the changes, but a minor error has been removed from today's prom (the Foulds piece is no longer marked as a premiere - but should the Bray piece be marked as a premiere?) and Daniel Kidane's new commission in the Family Prom now has a name.
                            Last edited by Andrew Slater; 27-08-21, 19:59. Reason: Correction of typo

Comment

It seems that I updated to version 6 a few hours too early. Thanks to bluestateprommer for pointing out that full details for the last night have now been put up on the BBC Proms site. Thanks also for advising that tonight's Bray piece is the UK premiere, although not now marked as such on the BBC site and therefore not on my list.

In the light of the above I've just updated everything to version 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X