Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Calendar: 2021 Proms & EIF concerts on R3

I've filled in the Forum calendar for the 2021 Proms, in addition to (speculative) entries on the Edinburgh International Festival concerts set to be aired during August. Not all the details are complete, as several of the concerts, like the First and Last Nights, do not have complete programs, besides the four "Mystery Proms" with artists and repertoire to be announced in due course. The format again generally follows the formula that I've evolved over the years. Getting granular, as is BSP's usual wont with these things:

(A) The Proms:

* Hyperlinks out to the BBC Proms' and RAH's webpages for each concert are present for each listing. For the Cadogan Hall concerts, I am assuming that the 1 PM concerts will be relayed on R3, per past standard practice, and have thus indicated that the 6 PM concert the same day is not to be broadcast.

* Andrew Slater has rightly pointed out that the BBC has not numbered this summer's Proms. However, by contrast, the Royal Albert Hall has numbered the concerts. In keeping with past tradition, I have gone with numbering each Prom. I have also numbered each of the Proms at...Cadogan Hall concerts, albeit with my own particular numbering system (1a/b, 2a/b, etc.), which obviously has no sanction from the BBC or anyone official.

* In general, a blank line indicates the interval.

* As usual, I omit the running times of works as my own personal quirk.

* From searching the Proms Performance Archive, I've noted "Proms debut artist" and "Proms debut ensemble" for artists, and "first performance at The Proms" for works, where appropriate. Compositions that are world / UK / London premieres clearly don't need that designation.

* As with previous years, with the increased emphasis on performing more works by female composers, I have spelled out female composers in the summary header by full first and last names. For clarity, I did the same for George Lewis.

* I will update the incomplete programs once more details become available. This may well happen in the weeks just before the First Night. As well, I will continue retro-addition of encores, to allow the Forum Calendar to serve as an concert program archive, since each Forum Calendar entry immediately dates once the Prom has started.

(B) Edinburgh: this is where things get interesting, because the EIF has not specifically stated which of their concerts this summer will be relayed on R3. However, from the pdf of this summer's program, I've taken this passage (particularly this bit) as the starting point:

"As the International Festival’s official broadcast partner, BBC Radio 3 makes the International Festival’s music offerings available to everyone through a major series of broadcasts. The station connects audiences with remarkable music and culture, and its relationship with the Edinburgh International Festival is a key part of that, offering audiences throughout the UK and across the world the chance to hear 12 concerts from the Old College Quad and five concerts from Edinburgh Academy."
    The tradition has been to air 15 concerts at 11 AM, Monday through Friday, pretty much in the last 3 full weeks of August. However, one key change with the outdoor stage in the Old College Quad at the University of Edinburgh is that the start times for the 1st concerts of the chamber music series are at 12 noon, rather than 11 AM. From this, I'm surmising that those concerts will have the possibility of encores, which would take the concerts past 1 PM. The other possibility, of course, is that the original programs actually run longer than 1 hour, even though they're supposed to last an hour. On Mondays, this "overtime" would clash with the Cadogan Hall chamber music Proms. Thus I have guessed that the 12 EIF offerings will be from the same 3-week period in August, but without Mondays (i.e. 4 days a week for 3 weeks). We shall see when the time gets closer if my guess was accurate. In the meantime, those 12 guess-entries are in the Forum Calendar. (Haven't the faintest idea what the 5 concerts from the Edinburgh Academy will be for later presentation, but that guessing can be taken to the EIF general thread.)

The usual general closing disclaimer applies, namely that I may have introduced my own errors in creating each listing. I will correct any mistakes as I learn them, besides adding updated information. Likewise, definitely feel free to think to yourself that even with quarantine, BSP seriously needs to get more of a life . (He wouldn't totally disagree.)

Many many thanks indeed - BSP!

Comment

As ever, a thing of beauty! And the individual concerts will gradually appear in the … uh, where do they appear? In the What's Going On section at the bottom of the home page?
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Updates to several Forum Calendar entries, as several Proms have had their programs filled out:
        July 30: The First Night (addition of Sibelius 2)
        August 10: BBC Phil / Storgards (addition of Schumann 3)
        August 13: BBC SO / Davis (program announced, including a work by Anthony Payne)
        August 15: BBC NOW / Abel Selaocoe (program announced)
        August 27: BBC SO / Oramo (addition of John Foulds work)

More to come later, no doubt .

Comment

Many thanks for the alert - I've now updated my listings as well (to version 3).

Comment

Modest updates to the Forum Calendar:

Proms:
            (a) Full program(me) for Prom 2, "The Golden Age of Broadway"
            (b) Links to BBC Two and BBC Four pages for The First Night
            (c) Update to SCO / Mozart 39-41 order (they are going numerically after all, contrary to an earlier presentation)
            (c) Links to BBC Four pages for SCO / Mozart 39-41, CBSO / Mirga G-T, BBC NOW / Elim Chan

Edinburgh Festival:
            Links to future video streams for the Zehetmair Quartet and the Fatma Said / Malcolm Martineau recital

Will add more updates as the season goes along, with fingers certainly crossed on this side of the pond for no cancellations or outbreaks.
            Last edited by bluestateprommer; 21-07-21, 23:20. Reason: additional BBC Four links

Comment

Many thanks for the prompt to update my list!

In updating my list I've noticed the following in addition to the changes you mention above:

Sat 7th Aug: Laura Jard's new work is now named (CHANT); Jessie Montgomery's 'Banner': now clarified that this is the London premiere of the chamber orchestra version

Thu 2nd Sep: programme sequence altered; additional works introduced by Rawsthorne, Walton, Lutyens and Alwyn; one work by Arnold dropped (which is something of a disappointment in his centenary year - with luck it will re-appear as an encore)

Sun 5th Sep: sequence of the first two works has been changed (and now makes more sense)

Mon 6th Sep 1300, 1800: programme inserted

Mon 6th Sep 1930: additional works inserted

Thu 9th Sep: additional artists inserted

Comment

For Andrew, many thanks for the roster of schedule updates, as I'd missed those recent changes. The Forum Calendar is now updated with those changes. For one, Ema Nikolovska really makes this difficult , in a good way. There is one new update since, the 3 September BBC SO Prom with Bychkov and Gerstein (very old school repertoire, BTW).

The big series of updates is actually to the EIF broadcasts. I'd guessed the big picture correctly, that the 12 broadcasts will be Tuesdays through Fridays, starting on 10 August. I got it wrong on a lot of the details, where, contrary to my prediction:
                * The EIF concert relays will be at 1 PM on those days. Thus those relays are not live from the Old College Quad, since those performances are at 12 noon and 2:30 PM.
                * The first two EIF relays are each from a few days before (Ronald Brautigam / Esther Hoppe / Christian Poltera, Pat Kop & Fazil Say; had no idea that these would be the ones), or the day before (Mari Eriksmoen / Daniel Heide, Steven Osborne; guessed these correct, but the wrong day and time). Since there are two performances of each concert, one wonders if the BBC will select the better of the two, or do a pick & mix edit.

The next 2 weeks of EIF R3 concert relays are thus incorrect, on multiple levels. However, I won't make those corrections for the last two weeks until the full details emerge from the R3 calendar for August.

Back to The Proms: one thing from figuring out the corrections for EIF relays is that I noticed that Afternoon Concert will feature Proms repeats. I may try to integrate those into the Calendar as well.

Late edit: BBC NOW concert for next Monday now updated in the Calendar, to indicate Guy Johnston and Ryan Bancroft.

Further edits:
                (a) Martyn Brabbins is now listed as the conductor for both the 6 August and 13 August Proms, replacing Joana Carneiro and Sir Andrew Davis, respectively.
                (b) Clarke Peters is added to "Prom 2" as an additional vocal soloist.
                Last edited by bluestateprommer; 29-07-21, 06:48. Reason: (a) BBC NOW updates for 2 August Prom, (b) Martyn Brabbins pinch-hitter Proms, addition of Clarke Peters

Comment

Many thanks for the update. I've just noticed that the mystery proms have now been announced, and have now incorporated them into my listing.

Comment

For Andrew S., thanks again for the heads-up about the newest updates. The Mystery Proms are now updated in the Forum Calendar as well, with new links to the BBC Proms page listings. Likewise, 3 new updates are in the Forum Calendar for Edinburgh International Festival relays for the week of 16 August (Chineke! Chamber Ensemble et al.), Tuesday through Thursday.

PS: Didn't realize until Georgia Mann mentioned it that Martin Baker is deputizing for Olivier Latry this coming Sunday. Forum Calendar entry is now updated.

New updates (2 August):
                    (a) 10 August RAH Prom: Liza Ferschtman is now the soloist for the Sibelius concerto, replacing Jennifer Pike. (This flips the recent substitution pattern of UK soloists subbing for non-UK soloists, in the context of pandemic quarantine / travel restrictions.)
                    (b) For the Edinburgh Festival relays, Elisabeth Leonskaja's recital (18 August scheduled live performance) is now set as the 20 August broadcast for the Lunchtime Concert EIF offerings.
                    Last edited by bluestateprommer; 02-08-21, 14:20. Reason: (a) Martin Baker update, (b) newer updates

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                      For Andrew S., thanks again for the heads-up about the newest updates. The Mystery Proms are now updated in the Forum Calendar as well, with new links to the BBC Proms page listings. Likewise, 3 new updates are in the Forum Calendar for Edinburgh International Festival relays for the week of 16 August (Chineke! Chamber Ensemble et al.), Tuesday through Thursday.

PS: Didn't realize until Georgia Mann mentioned it that Martin Baker is deputizing for Olivier Latry this coming Sunday. Forum Calendar entry is now updated.

New updates (2 August):
                      (a) 10 August RAH Prom: Liza Ferschtman is now the soloist for the Sibelius concerto, replacing Jennifer Pike. (This flips the recent substitution pattern of UK soloists subbing for non-UK soloists, in the context of pandemic quarantine / travel restrictions.)
                      (b) For the Edinburgh Festival relays, Elisabeth Leonskaja's recital (18 August scheduled live performance) is now set as the 20 August broadcast for the Lunchtime Concert EIF offerings.
                      So no Beethoven 9 this year ?

Comment

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                        So no Beethoven 9 this year ?
                        It would appear so. The only open spot left in this summer's Proms schedule that could feature anything related to Beethoven 9 is the first half of The Last Night, as the full program(me) of the LNOTP isn't yet fully released. Maybe the 4th movement, but this is wild speculation with nothing to back it up.

BTW, one small update to the Forum Calendar, under the EIF listings. For the Pat Kop recital, Joonas Ahonen is now the scheduled pianist.

Comment

The newest updates to the Forum Calendar are updates and corrections to the R3 Edinburgh Festival relays, which are essentially folded into the R3 Lunchtime Concert series. For archival purposes, I've set off with brackets the works in the EIF programs that R3 snipped from broadcast (e.g. the Schoenberg from the Pat Kop / Joonas Ahonen recital, and the George Crumb work from Steven Osborne's recital).

Besides the repertory for the more crossover Proms in TBA-on-the-night status, the last full piece of the puzzle looks to be the full program for The Last Night, to be filled in in due course.

Comment

Per Andrew Slater's post on the one-pager Proms calendar, I've updated the Forum Calendar listings to accommodate today's BBC SO / Oramo Prom, with the order change on the Foulds and Charlotte Bray works. (BTW, to address Andrew's one question in his thread, today's performance of the Charlotte Bray does still mark the work's UK premiere. The world premiere was this past 28 May by the WDR SO.) Other changes:

* The last piece of the Forum Calendar puzzle is also filled in, with the full program(me) of the Last Night now out there.
                            * The Monday 6 September 2021 Prom is updated to include the Missy Mazzoli work.
                            * Also, the EIF entry on the Noa Wildschut performance is updated to reflect the change of pianist to Lauma Skride, as well as program changes (Milhaud gone, Sibelius and Saint-Saens in its place).

And, indeed, no Beethoven 9 this year. So it goes.
                            Last edited by bluestateprommer; 27-08-21, 18:16. Reason: Missy Mazzoli work in 6 Sept 2021 Prom

Comment

Working...
                            X