Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms 2022

This year's programme announcement is nearly upon us (26th April). Seems to have come around quickly this year.
    Will there be a new subforum created ahead of this?

There will be one shortly, but not necessarily before the 26th. Any related threads (including this one) will be moved there.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbouffant View Post
      This year's programme announcement is nearly upon us (26th April).
      The word is out .

The world's greatest classical music festival - stunning performances and collaborations.

Likewise, I'll start on the Forum Calendar (not that many will read it ) later .

Interesting, for one, to note that Cadogan Hall has been jettisoned completely for the Monday 1 PM concerts, replaced by afternoon matinee concerts from various venues around the UK. Will leave it to others to tease out the implications/subtexts (besides the obvious of venturing beyond London to bring musicians and performance spaces around the UK under the Proms umbrella, separate from The Last Night), if any.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
        The word is out .

The world's greatest classical music festival - stunning performances and collaborations.

Likewise, I'll start on the Forum Calendar (not that many will read it ) later .
        Your calendar is always appreciated!

I was expecting the big announcement to be made midday, so to find it already published this morning was a bit of a surprise!

Also, it appears that Imperial College is not offering accommodation this summer :-(

Comment

Good to see at least a sprinkling of Xenakis this year. A fair few Smyth performances, too.

Comment

Little to get excited about here. I've added LSO/Rattle, the two BPO/Petrenko and JEG/Beethoven Missa Solemnis to the Proms Planner but that'll be it for me this year.

Remembering the glory days when I had to whittle the number of concerts down from over 20 and ended up going to around a dozen every season with many more regrettably left by the wayside. Sad to have to struggle up to four now but with the high prices perhaps that's no bad thing.
            "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
              Little to get excited about here. I've added LSO/Rattle, the two BPO/Petrenko and JEG/Beethoven Missa Solemnis to the Proms Planner but that'll be it for me this year.

Remembering the glory days when I had to whittle the number of concerts down from over 20 and ended up going to around a dozen every season with many more regrettably left by the wayside. Sad to have to struggle up to four now but with the high prices perhaps that's no bad thing.
              I’m think the prices are pretty reasonable though not low . There’s an LPO Mahler concert coming up at the RFH with top prices around the £65 mark. But Compare both with going to see Mark Rylance in Jerusalem in the unsubsidised West End - £175.00. Top prices at Covent Garden now are often around the £250 mark. The real problem for me with the RAH is the price gouging in the bars and the poor tube connection on top of the three and a half hour rail trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                I’m think the prices are pretty reasonable though not low . There’s an LPO Mahler concert coming up at the RFH with top prices around the £65 mark. But Compare both with going to see Mark Rylance in Jerusalem in the unsubsidised West End - £175.00. Top prices at Covent Garden now are often around the £250 mark. The real problem for me with the RAH is the price gouging in the bars and the poor tube connection on top of the three and a half hour rail trip.
                I have a two hour rail trip and an overnight hotel stay plus usual food and drink so it's not cheap whichever way you look at it. Pre-pandemic, I was starting to find that some of the Proms I attended were not worth the outlay and you don't want to have a disappointing concert with that amount of spend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                  Until COVID 19 struck, I could get a Greenline bus back to Bracknell at around 10:11 pm. It now runs 15 minutes earlier, which means many Proms are too risky to attend.

Comment

I have a two hour rail trip and an overnight hotel stay plus usual food and drink so it's not cheap whichever way you look at it. Pre-pandemic, I was starting to find that some of the Proms I attended were not worth the outlay and you don't want to have a disappointing concert with that amount of spend.
                    Yes once you add the extras on it’s an expensive night out.

Comment

Giving it a miss again this year I think. Occasionally one half looks interesting, but then the other half is completely the opposite. The whole concert has to be worth the considerable layout, sadly once again nothing worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by ferryman View Post
                        I was expecting the big announcement to be made midday, so to find it already published this morning was a bit of a surprise!

Also I was surprised/confused that a lot of concerts in the online ‘What’s On’ guide appear to allow seats to be bought now (in contrast to others which say ‘tickets not yet on sale’.)

I thought booking didn’t open till late May…
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Also I was surprised/confused that a lot of concerts in the online ‘What’s On’ guide appear to allow seats to be bought now (in contrast to others which say ‘tickets not yet on sale’.)

On the RAH website? I've just had a look under What's On and there is only the option to add to your planner.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

On the first night, it takes you to a "Proms Planner" button. Hopefully that holds good for all Proms....

As well as the Verdi Req, there is the Glyndebourne "Wreckers", Missa Solemnis, Gerontius, RVW Sea Symphony, B minor Mass and BPO of course. For me, it will be eliminating from a list and whether I am away on the day of the performance (I am lucky to be about 75 minutes from RAH to home - not a lot longer if train timetables don't ideally fit). I might have been attracted by the Four Last Songs but on the two occasions I've been, its come over as underpowered - even with fully competent artists. Perhaps it doesn't work there unless the Soprano has a voice to match Flagstad?

Comment

On the RAH website? I've just had a look under What's On and there is only the option to add to your planner.
                              I was on the BBC Proms page:

Seems an odd way to put it, if it just clicks through to a “can’t book tickets yet” page on the RAH website… (but I’ve only had a cursory glance so far)
                              "...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                              X