Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single-page Proms Listing and pdfs

After a few adjustments my code has produced a single-page listing and a pair of printable pdf files (2-column and 3-column), which appear to be correct...

Links have also been added to the forum sidebar.

I'll update the lists periodically to reflect any updates made by the BBC.

If anybody spots any errors or omissions, please let me know.

Thank you so much for doing this! It's extremely useful.

Comment

Ditto, a far better presentation than the BBC's convoluted efforts.

Comment

As ever - thank you.

Comment

Although I read the forums every day, I think I'm correct in saying that I only ever post items to thank those of our friends who provide 'above and beyond' services to us all. So, with apologies for my late arrival this year, it's another big annual thank you to Andrew for creating this invaluable guide to the Proms - it will be much used by me and, I'm sure, many others in the forthcoming months.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Many thanks for the kind remarks.

I've written some experimental code to modify the existing indexes to a more conventional format, using the lookup table method so that I should only need to 'unreverse' inappropriate 'reversals' once. I haven't incorporated them in the main listing yet, but the composer and performer indexes are on the server as independent files, links: COMPOSERS PERFORMERS. They might not display correctly on all browsers as they aren't strictly correct html files, being intended for incorporation in an existing html file. The blue links also won't work at this stage. If I've not 'unreversed' something I should have or have 'unreversed' something I shouldn't have, please let me know. If I don't receive any adverse comments, I'll incorporate them into the main listing later.

Comment

I've now incorporated the revised indexes into the main listing.

I see I missed "un-reversing" the "composer" "Various Artists", but as it doesn't make much sense or provide any information, I've decided to leave it as it is.

Comment

With only a week to go to the beginning of the Proms, I re-ran my code last night, and have uploaded the resulting list as version 3.

There are quite a few changes; I've noticed the following, but there might be others:

Prom 3: performers now listed
                  Prom 4: additional works and performers
                  Prom 5: conductor now Juanjo Mena (was Omer Meir Wellber)
                  Prom 6: conductor now Sir Andrew Davis (was Omer Meir Wellber)
                  Prom 7: additional performers
                  Prom 10: Stanford: Coronation Gloria removed
                  Proms 11/12: title changed
                  New event: BBC Young Composer Day at Battersea (30/07, 10am) (in addition to the 2pm concert)
                  Prom 19: Philharmonia Voices added
                  Prom 20: Xenakis piece moved; new opening piece: Harrison Birtwistle: Sonance Severance 2000
                  Prom 43: additional performers
                  Prom 53: title changed
                  Proms at Birmingham (29/08): title of new Errolyn Wallen piece added
                  Prom 58: additional performers

Comment

With the First Night today, I've re-run my code, and have uploaded the resulting list as version 4.

There are quite a few changes; I've noticed the following, but there might be others:

Prom 1: tenor changed
                    Prom 3: 2 performers added
                    Prom 8: pianist changed
                    Prom 10: Handel Water Music Suite 1 pieces now arr. Hamilton Harty; conductor changed
                    Prom 11/12: works now listed; one performer added
                    Proms at Battersea: BBC Young Composer (30/07 @ 16:00): soprano/speaker added
                    Prom 21: Curry piece title modified (or one added?) and duration increased by one minute, arranger added
                    Prom 22: percussionist added
                    Prom 54: title shortened for consistency with the earlier change to its 'sister' Prom, Prom 53
                    Proms at Birmingham (29/08 @ 13:00): Errolyn Wallen piece now in title, rather than upper, case
                    Prom 60: Title changed; new pieces added / re-ordered; performers added

E&OE

Comment

At the end of the first week I've re-run my code, and have uploaded the resulting list as version 5.

There are only minor changes; I've noticed the following, but there might be others:

Prom 4: arrangers of first, 11th and final pieces changed
                      Prom 13: typo in 'conductor' corrected
                      Prom 16: bass-baritone Andrew Foster-Williams changed to baritone Jacques Imbrailo

E&OE

Comment

I wonder how many of us remember the extraordinary excitement when the Prom Prospectus came out back in the day? I recall it being about 50p and oh the joy of leafing through the pages and marking out the concerts we would not want to miss!

Comment

At the end of the second week I re-ran my code yesterday, and have uploaded the resulting list as version 6.

There are only minor changes; I've noticed the following, but there might be others:

Prom 19: some changed performers
                          Prom 21: additional pieces introduced and the order of previously notified pieces changed

I discovered that my code was not recognising performers without associated hyperlinks in the BBC proms pages , so that several were missing from Proms 4, 7, 11, Gateshead, 13, 19, 19a, 47, 53, 54, 60 and Printworks. I've now rectified this, so that additional performers should have appeared in those noted concerts.

I have also added details of the composers and pieces in today's Proms at Battersea: BBC Young Composer, taken from the Radio 3 listing. I'll try to remember to paste this into any further versions of the Proms listing.

E&OE

Comment

At the end of the third week I have re-run my code again, and have uploaded the resulting list as version 7.

There are only minor changes:

Proms at Battersea: BBC Young Composer (30/07): I have changed the order of the pieces to reflect the order in which they were performed, and added the missing titles. The age classes have been removed for simplicity. (The pieces were not performed in classes, so it would have been necessary to add a class heading for each piece.)

Prom 23: additional composer introduced for the 6th piece

Printworks (03/09 at 1500): one performer added.

E&OE

Comment

As ever, thank you for all your hard work, Andrew.

Comment

Working...
                              X