Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forum Calendar: 2022 Proms + EIF on R3 initial entries

I've filled in the Forum Calendar with entries for the 2022 Proms, as well as speculative entries (of which more anon) for the 15 R3 relays from the Edinburgh Festival for this summer. Not all the details are complete on all of the Proms programs, particularly the more crossover Proms, and I'll fill in those missing details later. I remain code-illiterate (the total opposite of Andrew Slater) and continue to do old-fashioned copying and pasting with various manual text adjustments to create the entries, where it seems that poetic justice dictates that Andrew's pdf files probably get 100x more traffic compared to the Calendar . For the most part, my formula remains pretty much the same as with past years, with various tweaks and bsp's standard quirks. Diving into the weeds, as usual:

(A) The Proms

* Hyperlinks out to the BBC Proms' and RAH's webpages for each concert at the RAH are present for each listing.

* For the "Proms at" series of concerts around the UK, this is the biggest single change with respect to details compared to past years, since the Cadogan Hall concerts are not happening this year (although other concerns in the London area besides at the RAH are still happening). In past years, I never provided links to Cadogan Hall's own listings for the PCM's, for no good reason, in hindsight (except perhaps that they were selling well on their own and clearly the Forum Calendar didn't do anything for them). For purposes of completeness, I kind of regret that now, but what's done is done. This year, by contrast, I have tracked down appropriate hyperlinks for each of the "Proms at" venues (Belfast/Waterfront Hall, Truro/Hall for Cornwall, The Sage Gateshead, etc.) and included the respective venue link below the BBC Proms link for that event, should any folks here near those venues want to find the respective on-line pages. The RAH had links for the Cadogan Hall Proms in past years, but does not have links to these "Proms at" venues, which actually makes perfect sense in of itself. I have also included addresses of the "Proms at" venues. (For a modest laugh, you can see what other text is present in the entry for the "Proms at Cardiff" concert.)

* In general, a blank line indicates the interval. The few exceptions are where the repertoire lists are so long, such as with many shorter works on the program, that a blank line after each selection makes the presentation less visually cluttered.

* As usual, I omit works' running times.

* From searching the Proms Performance Archive, I've noted "Proms debut artist" and "Proms debut ensemble" for artists, and "first performance at The Proms" for works, where appropriate. Compositions that are world / UK / London premieres clearly don't require that designation.

* As in previous years, I have spelled out female composers in the summary header by full first and last names. One mild 'exception' to that rule is the Young Composer Prom, where I have spelled all the young composers' names, female and male, since all of them are new names by default. (The other mild exception is to spell out Felix Mendelssohn, even though Fanny Mendelssohn does not feature in this summer's Proms [but does feature in Edinburgh].)

* While I haven't mentioned this as such in the past, since it's probably intuitively obvious, I've included first initials where appropriate, either with a commonplace last name (e.g. Smith, Jones) or multiple artists with more unique last names (e.g. Mary Bevan / Sophie Bevan, Kirill Petrenko / Vasily Petrenko).

* I will update incomplete programs once more details become available, and as inevitable COVID-19 cancellations and changes of artists occur (which hopefully won't happen, but probably will). I will also continue retro-addition of encores, to allow the Forum Calendar to serve as an concert program archive, as each Forum Calendar entry immediately dates once the Prom has started.

(B) Edinburgh International Festival

I'm on shakier ground with the initial EIF entries, since the official EIF 2022 brochure does not spell out which 15 concerts are to be relayed on R3, besides the general statement that R3 offers:

".... audiences throughout the UK and across the world the chance to hear 15 concerts from our series at The Queen’s Hall and a selection of concerts from our Usher Hall series."
    Working from the premise that things are trying to "get back to normal" (or something "like 'normal'"), my guesses for the 15 concerts are the 15 Queen's Hall 11 AM concerts from Monday through Friday, the weeks of August 8, 15, and 22. It's the simplest guess, and is hopefully mostly correct. However, there are various Saturday morning 11 AM concerts at The Queen's Hall, and the remote possibility exists that one or more of those might be slotted into a weekday relay slot, to displace one of the other weekday concerts. We won't know until much closer to August, of course. I'll make any updates there as well.

The usual standard disclaimer applies, namely that I may have introduced new errors into the data entries, for which I take full responsibility. I'll correct any errors as I learn them, besides any other updates as noted.

Some very modest updates to the Forum Calendar:
    (a) Prom 10: the full program(me) is announced, with quite a few additions and re-orderings.
    (b) Prom 60: a (very) few musical selections have been announced.

Comment

Many thanks for the information - I'll update my listing later.

Comment

Per Andrew Slater's post on the most recent Proms schedule updates in the thread on the Single-Page Proms Listing, I've updated the corresponding entries in the Forum Calendar. Many thanks to Andrew S. for his diligence. The Forum Calendar entries are now starting to show up in the "What's going on?" section towards the bottom of the Forum homepage, with less than a week to go until The First Night.

Updates and corrections to the Edinburgh International Festival Queen's Hall concerts to be broadcast on R3 will follow in several weeks, once the R3 schedule for August shows those dates more fully. Other updates to The Proms will no doubt come along in due course.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
          Per Andrew Slater's post on the most recent Proms schedule updates in the thread on the Single-Page Proms Listing, I've updated the corresponding entries in the Forum Calendar. Many thanks to Andrew S. for his diligence.
          I thought it was about time I did my share of the updating, and I hope I can justify your thanks! I did a side-by comparison, but I could easily have missed something. (I'm not sure whether the new event 'BBC Young Composer Day at Battersea Arts Centre' on 30th July will be broadcast in any form - it's not currently showing in the online schedule - so I should probably have removed it, but it was easier to leave it in the listing than to take it out.)

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
            I thought it was about time I did my share of the updating, and I hope I can justify your thanks!
            Definitely more than justified, as I've done the latest Proms updates in the Forum Calendar, per your most recent update in the Single-Page Calendar thread with your list of updates. (You and the Beeb certainly make me e-work for it.)

Also, the first week of the Edinburgh International Festival R3 relays is accessible from the R3 website. Turns out that I guessed correctly, in that they are going "back to normal", at least for that first week of the 3. I've made updates to the EIF listings for the week of August 8 in the Forum Calendar, including these changes:

Tues. August 9: William Henry Harris selection clarified
            Wed. August 10: change of accompanying instrumentalists, as the Quatour van Kuilk and Christian Berner are filling in for Brooklyn Rider. The R3 pages shows the concert program(me) layout, where they're ahead of the EIF in that one instance.

Going to the next two weeks of EIF relays, where things might still be in flux in terms of cross-checking with the R3 listings:
            Tues. August 16: full program announced
            Wed. August 17: full program announced
            Wed. August 24: full program announced

For the week of August 8, I have added hyperlinks out to the individual R3 pages for each BBC Sounds listing.

So between Andrew Slater and myself, calendars should be well covered, at least until the next rounds of changes. Just about 3 hours to go....

Comment

Working...
            X