Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proms Composers of the Week on Record Review

Why, oh why, do R3 programme planners almost always choose well-known composers for this slot? Next Saturday it will be Elgar; looking through next week's Proms schedule Bax and Tippet would seem to be more interesting choices - and composers where a lot of people would welcome guidance. Most readers of this forum, myself included, will have our own favourite works by Elgar and favourite performances as well. After a hiatus following his death, Tippet is coming back into favour and a reassessment of his works would be welcome. Bax has always had his fans and I am sure there would be more if music directors would be brave and programme his symphonies (especially in subscription series where the audience will attend most or all of the concerts).

Originally posted by CallMePaul View Post
    Why, oh why, do R3 programme planners almost always choose well-known composers for this slot? Next Saturday it will be Elgar; looking through next week's Proms schedule Bax and Tippet would seem to be more interesting choices - and composers where a lot of people would welcome guidance. Most readers of this forum, myself included, will have our own favourite works by Elgar and favourite performances as well. After a hiatus following his death, Tippet is coming back into favour and a reassessment of his works would be welcome. Bax has always had his fans and I am sure there would be more if music directors would be brave and programme his symphonies (especially in subscription series where the audience will attend most or all of the concerts).

Comment

Working...
    X