Prom 9: The Two Scheherazades (21.07.22)

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prom 9: The Two Scheherazades (21.07.22)

Prom 9: The Two Scheherazades
    19:00 Thursday 21 July 2022
    Royal Albert Hall

Maurice Ravel: Shéhérazade – ouverture de féerie
    Sally Beamish: Hive (BBC co-commission: world première)
    Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade

For composers in the 19th century, the pages of the One Thousand and One Nights were a portal to a new imaginative world: a place where fantastic stories and exotic images inspired sounds more sensuous, more colourful and more magical than anything that had been heard before. Ravel and Rimsky-Korsakov both drew inspiration from the tales of the beautiful Scheherazade, and both created music that lets a full symphony orchestra weave pure enchantment: a glorious showcase for the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and its charismatic French guest conductor Ariane Matiakh. Sally Beamish, meanwhile, finds stories closer to home, in a beehive-inspired premiere for ‘Queen of Harps’ Catrin Finch.

Catrin Finch harp
    BBC National Orchestra of Wales
    Ariane Matiakh conductor
    Last edited by Eine Alpensinfonie; 21-07-22, 17:34.

Genuine question. What's a co-commission? Commissioned by more than one organisation?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Genuine question. What's a co-commission? Commissioned by more than one organisation?
      Exactly. Our choir, which sponsors new music, has done a couple where we've split it 50/50 with another choir. The other commissioning body is the International Harp Congress. (From Beamish's website which also gives information on the genesis and programme of the work.)

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Prom 9: The Two Scheherazades
        19:00 Thursday 21 July 2022
        Royal Albert Hall

Maurice Ravel: Shéhérazade – ouverture de féerie
        Sally Beamish: Hive (BBC co-commission: world première)
        Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade

For composers in the 19th century, the pages of the One Thousand and One Nights were a portal to a new imaginative world: a place where fantastic stories and exotic images inspired sounds more sensuous, more colourful and more magical than anything that had been heard before. Ravel and Rimsky-Korsakov both drew inspiration from the tales of the beautiful Scheherazade, and both created music that lets a full symphony orchestra weave pure enchantment: a glorious showcase for the BBC National Orchestra of Wales and its charismatic French guest conductor Ariane Matiakh. Sally Beamish, meanwhile, finds stories closer to home, in a beehive-inspired premiere for ‘Queen of Harps’ Catrin Finch.

Catrin Finch harp
        BBC National Orchestra of Wales
        Ariane Matiakh conductor
        There are three Sheherazades if you include the second, and for me less interesting song cycle of Ravel.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          for me less interesting song cycle of Ravel.

… I’d rather hear that (subject always to who’s singing it ) than either of the other two… mais à chacun son goût
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

… I’d rather hear that (subject always to who’s singing it ) than either of the other two… mais à chacun son goût
            Absolutely!
            L’indifferent is one of the most perfect of orchestral songs, so cool, so ambiguous, so simple and yet beguilingly sophisticated.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
              Absolutely!
              L’indifferent is one of the most perfect of orchestral songs, so cool, so ambiguous, so simple and yet beguilingly sophisticated.
              .. and with Suzanne Danco, please. All those things, and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                There are three Sheherazades if you include the second, and for me less interesting song cycle of Ravel.
                No, S_A, it is the most interesting - a thing to be treasured? I could listen to it for 1001 nights!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                  No, S_A, it is the most interesting - a thing to be treasured? I could listen to it for 1001 nights!
                  At the advice of everyone who disagrees with me, thanks - I will give the songs another listen!

Comment

Poor Rimsky isn’t getting any love in this thread. It’s interesting programming, although one wishes the Beamish could have been based on 1001 Arabian Nights as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                      Just started a new thread on Our Summer BAL…

Good news

I could move the relevant posts from here over there - but they would knock yours off #1 spot and your post there seems an admirable starting point.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                        Poor Rimsky isn’t getting any love in this thread. It’s interesting programming, although one wishes the Beamish could have been based on 1001 Arabian Nights as well.
                        Please give Rimsky my love. There's a degree of critical snobbishness about his piece, flagged up by the usual damns of faint praise about how marvellous his orchestration is, which I always resent. It is - simply - one of the most groundbreaking pieces of symphonic music ever written, without which a host of composers (from Debussy through to Glass and probably beyond) could not have done what they did. Not that they did any better!

Comment

Originally posted by Master Jacques View Post
                          Please give Rimsky my love. There's a degree of critical snobbishness about his piece, flagged up by the usual damns of faint praise about how marvellous his orchestration is, which I always resent. It is - simply - one of the most groundbreaking pieces of symphonic music ever written, without which a host of composers (from Debussy through to Glass and probably beyond) could not have done what they did. Not that they did any better!
                          Indeed so - a stepping stone for many of us in our appreciation of good sounding music, and a bridge to his pupil Stravinsky, Ravel and many others!
                          Well do I remember listening to three great recordings of Sch ( you know what ) by Reiner, Monteux and Kletzki!

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            It’s a very fine work. People often knock it because it’s popular, but it happens to be very good, nevertheless.
                            I also like Rimski-Korsakov’s revisions of certain works of Mussorgsky, for which he’s so often slated.

Comment

Let's hear it for R-K"! It's still a favourite piece, especially those harp glissandi at the second movt climax, a wonderful touch but nearly inaudible on many recordings. There's a lovely Al Murray story of his experience as a percussionist in his school orchestra, losing count of the swiftly passing bars in the second movt and missing his cymbal crash cue.

Comment

Working...
                              X