Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rcartes View Post
    Just lately I've had to work late, and to distract myself I've been listening, as long as I can bear to, to LJ (about ten minutes max). There's been some weird stuff on the prog, the previous low light being the gent who'd sampled his washing machine cycle - OK, but harmonically rather limited, and anyway the machine was badly out of tune ;-((

But last night it reached what I hope is its nadir (but I'm not holding my breath) with a piece by Meredith Monk: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07z7cys and it's the first piece on the programme. Alternatove;y, it can be acccessed on Youtube if you really want to (I recommend listening with the sound turned off). Is this what western civilisation has come to?
    Meredith Monk is popular with LJ presenters - being also regularly lauded and played by Max. I suggest dropping the producers of LJ an email, particularly if, as you suggest, the track appears to be bringing us even nearer to the apocalypse.

Where will it all end?
    Probably at the beginning of a Late Junction

Comment

Is this what western civilisation has come to?
      It may be what Radio 3 has come to: CotW week beg 31 October is Meredith Monk.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
        It may be what Radio 3 has come to: CotW week beg 31 October is Meredith Monk.
        Excellent news.

(She likes Bartok, Mildred Bailey and Caetano Veloso so links classical, jazz and world music)

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          only thing is that she starts the week with Samly who was on last time she was around...is there something we should be told?
          Well Sam may be a bit dull to my tastes, but he seems to be a hit with the gals...FT was positively swooning. However he did introduce an untitled track by Polish singer, Janusz Prusinowski, and I liked his voice very much. The track sounded like it came from somewhere further south, Greece, Albania, I thought at first.

Singer and song collector Sam Lee joins Fiona Talkington with his new musical discoveries.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
            Excellent news.

(She likes Bartok, Mildred Bailey and Caetano Veloso so links classical, jazz and world music)
            Well, I like Bartok and Mildred Bailey, but since I've never heard of Caetano Veloso I suppose that blows my chance of ever being CoTW.....

Comment

Well, I like Bartok and Mildred Bailey, but since I've never heard of Caetano Veloso I suppose that blows my chance of ever being CoTW.....
              Not at all, RCartes.

Bartok is one of the top six classical world music composers in my humble opinion.

There is your main connection.

Caetano Veloso, having been a part of the Tropicalismo movement, leans more to jazz.

He also reaches out to the poetry and drama parts of BBC R3.

All good links - but classical music is still the meat and drink of the station.

Caetano Veloso & Gal Costa - Um Dia - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZN8OZ4eX4g

Well Sam may be a bit dull to my tastes, but he seems to be a hit with the gals...FT was positively swooning. However he did introduce an untitled track by Polish singer, Janusz Prusinowski, and I liked his voice very much. The track sounded like it came from somewhere further south, Greece, Albania, I thought at first.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07z7cys
              I went direct to this track on Listen Again.

Atmospheric!
              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 21-10-16, 17:24.

Comment

Just having a listen in to FT this evening and she played this very moving recording of 'Pentonville' by a bunch of carollers in a pub in Dungworth (Yorkshire, I believe)...wonderfully Sacred Harp I thought.
                It's time for another Sheffield carol. Here are the singers from The Royal Hotel in Dungworth singing Pentonville, a version of While Shepherds Watched. Vide...
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 16-12-16, 09:25. Reason: missing adj

Comment

Just having a listen in to FT this evening and she played this rather recording of 'Pentonville' by a bunch of carollers in a pub in Dungworth (Yorkshire, I believe)...wonderfully Sacred Harp I thought.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFCFyTANMls
                  Very nice and a great tradition, here close to and inside the eastern boundary of the Peak District.

Comment

It's a while since I heard Fiona on Late Junction, but I've been enjoying the show tonight. She had a crackin' guest on, Tayo Popoola, who played a few tunes from his Nigerian Dad's record collection. I loved this one.
                    Chief Ebenezer Obey - Olowo Laiye Mo
                    Subscribe to Wyld Pytch / 51 Lex: http://bit.ly/WyldSubsWyld Pytch / 51 Lex RecordsWeb - http://wyldpytch.com/Instagram- www.instagram.com/wyldpytch51lex/Fac...

Tayo recently made a programme for R4 investigating the enduring love for Jim Reeves in Nigeria - I'm going to go look it out.

Comment

It's a while since I heard Fiona on Late Junction, but I've been enjoying the show tonight. She had a crackin' guest on, Tayo Popoola, who played a few tunes from his Nigerian Dad's record collection. I loved this one.
                      Chief Ebenezer Obey - Olowo Laiye Mo
                      Subscribe to Wyld Pytch / 51 Lex: http://bit.ly/WyldSubsWyld Pytch / 51 Lex RecordsWeb - http://wyldpytch.com/Instagram- www.instagram.com/wyldpytch51lex/Fac...

Tayo recently made a programme for R4 investigating the enduring love for Jim Reeves in Nigeria - I'm going to go look it out.
                      Spotted well JC - very good guest choice, I wondered how she knew him (and his Dad)? Maybe missed that bit?
                      If you find the prog pls share the link...

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        Spotted well JC - very good guest choice, I wondered how she knew him (and his Dad)? Maybe missed that bit?
                        If you find the prog pls share the link...
                        Tayo Popoola explores Nigeria's enduring love of Jim Reeves and country and western music.

Tayo definitely made an impact on FT, Global. She wants him back in again. Me, too!

Comment

Fiona Talkington this week celebrated 30 years with the BBC

On 14 Nov 1989 FT began her career with a programme called ‘ Mainly for Pleasure’

On the same date in 2019 she wrote

30 years ago today a probably nervous & excited new presenter was preparing for her first programme for BBCRadio3 So much music, amazing musicians, listeners & colleagues over the years. Thank you x

Comment

Working...
                          X