No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it too late?

or maybe it's too soon?

to suggest a better name for this group. I mean, why should we follow the BBC's labelling?

I'd prefer ''Late Junction'', and the description could include world music. That way we might get a better mix of people as LJ includes Jazz and Classical. I might learn something.

Hi Ian. Calling it Late Junction could cause confusion, because people might forget about the rest of the BBC's world music output. I don't think our board needs rebranding. We just need to do a Charlie Gillett or DJ Ritu and become more popular. Even Charlie struggled when he got to Radio 3. Luckily he had a mass of fans from his other efforts.

DJ Gabriel.

Comment

Martin, how about World of Music? Less confusing.

You know it's confusing to me because I don't categorise music anymore, not since I gave up shopping for CDs.

I understand the need to separate ''classical'' because those members don't like music so much as the idea of music, whereas we, and the Jazzists, have fewer prejudices. I can say that because no one but us will read this.

Comment

Radio 3 isn't just about music...

Russ
        (with a minority hand up at the back of the class)

Comment

see me.

Music isn't just about Radio 3...

Comment

Better Ian.

My theory, for what it's worth, is that we hear things differently. Our music is highly rhythmic ( polyrhythmic ), classical music is harmonic ( polyphonic ) and we both have different concepts of melody. Our concept of melody is very much what can be achieved with recorded sound. The classicists are living with what can be written down on paper. Having said all that I think the gap for genuine music enthusiasts is narrowing. Just my honest opinion.

DJ Gabriel

Comment

In answer to the original question - it's certainly not too late (fortunately the name didn't have to be carved out of granite at considerable expense and pain). But it may be too early: I remember the same debate took place on the R3 boards but without much agreement. Just let me know what you've decided, when you have.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by ian russell View Post
                i can say that because no one but us will read this.
                wrong!

:D:D:D

Comment

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                  wrong!

:D:D:D
                  Don't give it a second thought, John. Who knows, Ian may eventually get to recognise real music, and start attending AMM and Eddie Prevost Trio gigs.

Comment

see me.

Music isn't just about Radio 3...
                    So glad you've come over my little grit-in-the-oyster...if only changing a label would have any effect.

Keep 'em coming (until you disappear again obviously)

Comment

Martin, how about World of Music? Less confusing.

You know it's confusing to me because I don't categorise music anymore, not since I gave up shopping for CDs.

I understand the need to separate ''classical'' because those members don't like music so much as the idea of music, whereas we, and the Jazzists, have fewer prejudices. I can say that because no one but us will read this.
                      This is a bit blinkered is it not? I'm a classical musician but I like Jazz. I don't think I'm any more prejudiced than you, or anyone else. If I could do it I would play Jazz as well. (One day I might succeed).

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm slow aren't I?

Of course, it came to me today, as if in a dream... why not a separate category specific to each ''world music'' programme? World On 3, World Routes, Late Junction, so we can reflect on the music broadcast and presenters, and perhaps a fourth for general miscellany like festivals, gigs, records, chat etc.

Comment

Hello russ.
                          Hello Bryn.
                          Hello Cellini.
                          Hello johnb.

Hi frank, and thanks.

Comment

Just a few thoughts: when I set up the categories and separate forums, I wanted to keep to the R3 boards to start with. My own personal view is that forums can get a bit bloated looking when they have too many separate boards (I have to say I find r3ok a bit like that). There's a risk of the whole thing expanding beyond the manageable.

One category that I was thinking of adding was a New Music one. The original R3 boards had a single New Music board - covering Hear & Now and the late lamented Mixing It. I had thought of putting Hear & Now and Late Junction together - LJ was not set uip to be a world music programme and I think it was probably the preferences of the presenters which influenced the content in that direction. As I don't listen to it, I'm not sure how much medieval/Renaissance stuff they now play - which would seem controversially placed in a New Music category

[Edit: Another thought: A neat solution might be to have one thread devoted to each programme, which could be made a sticky, so you would have the three threads, for WR, Wo3 and LJ, always at the top and still be able to start threads on any specific topic. Anything you wanted could be also made a sticky.]
                            Last edited by french frank; 26-11-10, 14:37.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Ian - I wouldn't be in favour of separate sub-boards either, because I think that would be overly complex and could get too cumbersome. ff's suggestion of threads for the main programmes, plus other threads for specifics, is a good one I reckon. Let's keep it flexible.

Russ

Comment

Working...
                              X