Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had a look through Joe's A-Z first time round and taken tracks that I could find on spotty and made a playlist. There are some gaps in there, for example the Tuvans and Mongolians among others but probably worth putting on shuffle if you want a listen. I will embark on AA-ZZ in the next few days.
    Last edited by johncorrigan; 10-03-17, 15:51. Reason: ooops! looks like I doubled up...not with laughter.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I've had a look through Joe's A-Z first time round and taken tracks that I could find on spotty and made a playlist. There are some gaps in there, for example the Tuvans and Mongolians among others but probably worth putting on shuffle if you want a listen. I will embark on AA-ZZ in the next few days.
      https://open.spotify.com/user/jcorri...ED45UxzohkDazA
      An excellent idea, JC.

Thank you and I look forward to exploring it.

Comment

Saz'iso, the excellent South Albanian group that Joe Boyd has just produced, have been getting a bit of attention since Joe talked about it on his old A-Z; and then raised the kickstarter money to get the CD recorded.

Anyway, I mention it because they hit the heights tonight with an appearance on 'Later'.
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 31-10-17, 09:25.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post

Anyway, I mention it because they hit the heights tonight with an appearance on 'Later'.
          I managed to land on them without having to watch any of the rest of the programme...though I haven't caught Amadou and Mariam yet, who also appeared. But here's Saz'iso from the programme.

Comment

I had received this communication on 30th October 2017 but I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.

(I did get about an hour of Cerys this week in discussion with her guest on the Jazz Festival)

Dear Mailing List

A big week for Southern Albanian music! Saz'iso will perform tomorrow night (Tuesday 31st October) on Later with Jools Holland - 10pm on BBC2. Then again, a different tune on the longer version Saturday at 1045.

The Saturday appearance will come just after the end of the sold-out London concert at St Luke's, which is part of a 10-concert UK tour Nov 1 - 11. Information here -

Come say hello at one of the concerts - I'll be lurking at the sound desk at all of them.

And while you're at it, Saz'iso violinist Aurel Qyrio and I were guests on Cerys Matthews' 6Music show. You can hear it here: www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09byh8t

best

Joe

Comment

Wasn't sure where to post this, however Joe Boyd talked about this a lot over the last few years so I thought I'd put it here. Joe had talked about this film possibly coming out from a good while before Aretha's death, but it kept being held up by lots of legal issues, among other things. The concert film of her recording her LP 'Amazing Grace' is being given a release next month and I imagine it will get to some of the Art House movie houses. I'm certainly looking forward to its arrival in Dundee in mid-May. Here's a bit about it from the Guardian, plus the trailer...
              The late singer’s niece and the film’s producer talk about the process of bringing a defining 1972 performance to the big screen

Comment

Max played a track a week or so ago think it was from film(?) - on Spotify too.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                  Max played a track a week or so ago think it was from film(?) - on Spotify too.
                  I heard that one, GT. The records been out since the early 70s, I think, and very wonderful it is...Aretha at the top of her game.

Comment

and here, as if by magic, is Joe Boyd on Front Row talking about Aretha... [about 20 mins in - last item]

more about the movie which is released in UK on May 10:
                    Last edited by Globaltruth; 08-05-19, 12:59.

Comment

As a spectacle 'Amazing Grace' is not the best ever film by any means, but I would suggest it has the greatest performance on film I have ever seen by a singer. Aretha was sensational in the film, backed by the excellent Southern California singers and her own band. She said virtually nothing during the film...she just sang.

Comment

What a treat to find a newsletter from Joe Boyd in the inbox today - despite all the restrictions it was decided to launch the new record that he's been involved in - 'Singer of Tales' by Sarajevan Sevdah singer, Damir Imamovic. Sevdah, I read, comes from the same Arabic root as 'saudade' in Portugese - it means literally 'black bile' but Joe suggests is somewhere between 'the sorrow of love' and 'sad nostalgia'.

Here's a track from the new record called 'O bosanske gore snježne'.
                        First single from Damir Imamović's album SINGER OF TALES, WRASSE RECORDS, 2020Music&lyrics by Omer OmbašićMusicians: Damir Imamovic, Greg Cohen, Derya Türkan...

...and if you'd like to read more about the release you can get it in Joe's own words at http://www.joeboyd.co.uk/singer-of-tales
                        ...and he's still promising us that book about World Music...that's one to look forward to.

Comment

Joe Boyd's been back on the blower to tell about a new old record just issued. Seems Joe was down in South Africa 50 years back recording with the likes of Chris McGregor and became friends with Dudu Phukwana, and they recorded some things which never got to the stage of becoming a record. However, those recordings have been re-discovered and released - here's an example from 1969 -
                          Dudu Phukwana and the Spears performing 'Pezulu (Way Up)' - such a great groove it's got!
                          Provided to YouTube by TuneCorePezulu (Way Up) · Dudu PukwanaDudu Pukwana and the Spears℗ 1969 Matsuli MusicReleased on: 1969-05-05Auto-generated by YouTube.

You can find out more about Joe and his excursions into South African jazz here : http://www.joeboyd.co.uk/dudu-pukwana

Comment

Joe's just put a reminder out that Aretha Franklyn's 'Amazing Grace' is being shown on Beeb 2 this coming Saturday evening. Here's a link to a piece Joe wrote about his involvement in the filming of Aretha's performance.

Comment

Joe was 80 this past week and Cerys is celebrating the great man on her show this morning. What an astonishing career he's had working with some of the true greats - Muddy, Sister Rosetta, Aretha, Pink Floyd, Nick Drake, Fairport and Sandy, The McGarrigles, The Incredibles, Toots, Taj and Toumani - the list goes on and on. Happy Birthday Joe...an adopted treasure.
                              Eclectic music from blues to beats with poetry and live sessions.

Comment

It's been ages since I heard from Joe Boyd, but a newsletter popped through the inbox this afternoon telling that he has been locked away finishing his tome on Global Music that he's been writing for years, and it is now due to arrive in early July. I still love his book 'White Bicycles', so very much looking forward to this new book from the great man. He doesn't seem to have updated his webpages yet, so here, for those interested, is the content of the newsletter:

'Remember me? You may recall that I used to send out newsletters fairly regularly. A few of
                                you even sent messages saying you missed them.

My excuse has been that I’ve been consumed by trying to finish the book I’ve been writing
                                for so many years. Well, I’ve finally done it! And the Roots of Rhythm Remain: a journey
                                through global music will be published on July 4 in the UK by Faber and on Sept 3 in the US
                                by Ze Books.

It’s a bit of a door-stop. Sherpas will be provided to purchasers to help them carry it home.
                                Faber is promoting it as the ‘global music’ equivalent of Alex Ross’s The Rest is
                                Noise, which I take as a great compliment. Mine may be slightly longer, but I’ve done my
                                best to make it a non-academic page-turner, full of anecdote and personalities and
                                backstories. Did you know, for example, that promoter Bill Graham was a champion mambo
                                dancer? That Charles Dickens wrote a scathing review of a Zulu choir’s performance in
                                London in 1853? That Frank Sinatra owed his career to a tango singer from Buenos Aires?
                                That Desi Arnaz’s father banned his son’s future meal-ticket, the conga drum, when he was
                                mayor of Santiago de Cuba? That the Soviets hated Bulgarian women’s choirs? That George
                                Harrison fell for Indian music while lying in ZsaZsa Gabor’s bathtub?

I’m about to embark on the process of reciting it into a microphone for the audio
                                book, so when the time comes, you’ll be able to either read it on the page or listen to my
                                dulcet tones through your headphones. Or both! I also plan to assemble playlists on
                                YouTube, Spotify and Apple so readers will be able to experience the music as they read or
                                listen.

In recent years, some of you have kindly invited me to festivals and readings and I’ve turned
                                you down in order to focus on finishing the book. Now that I’m done, my date-book is open
                                and I’m available. Just shoot me an email.

Now that I’ve climbed down from the garret, I hope to see many of your smiling faces in the
                                coming year as I travel the world plugging the book. Be sure to say hello!

All the best

Joe'

Comment

Working...
                                X