Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not only JB doing an A-Z. Here's Songlines Magazine starter for an A to Z of World Music with a few of their recommended records. Seems there's a spotty playlist but I haven't worked out where it is yet.

Songlines A-Z of World Music
    A – Africa Express
    B – Balkan Brass
    C – Cumbia
    D – Diabate Dynasty (recommended Toumani and Sidiki)
    E – Ethiopiques series
    F – Fado (recommended, Mariza ‘Transparente)
    G – Graceland
    H – Hawaiian slack-key (recommended Makana Cameron ‘Ki Ho’Alu’)
    I – Island Records (recommended King Sunny Ade ‘Juju Music’)
    J – Antonio Carlos Jobim
    K – Fela Kuti
    L – Alan Lomax
    M – Miriam Makeba
    N – Ney (recommended Kudsi Erguner ‘Ney:The Sacred Flute of the Whirling Dervishes’)
    O – Orquestra Buena Vista Social Club
    P – Astor Piazzola (recommended Tango: Zero Hour)
    Q – Qawwali
    R – Rumba (recommended Beny More with Perez Prado and Orchestra ‘El Barbaro del Ritmo)
    S – Sitar/ Shankar
    T – Tuareg
    U – Uilleann Pipes (recommended Seamus Ennis ’40 years of Irish Piping’)
    V – Vartina
    W – WOMAD
    X – Xylouris (recommended Psanantonis and the Ensemble Xylouris)
    Y – Youssou N’Dour
    Z – Zimbabwe (recommended Thomas Mapfumo ‘The Chimurenga Singles’

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      It's not only JB doing an A-Z. Here's Songlines Magazine starter for an A to Z of World Music with a few of their recommended records. Seems there's a spotty playlist but I haven't worked out where it is yet.

Songlines A-Z of World Music
      A – Africa Express
      B – Balkan Brass
      C – Cumbia
      D – Diabate Dynasty (recommended Toumani and Sidiki)
      E – Ethiopiques series
      F – Fado (recommended, Mariza ‘Transparente)
      G – Graceland
      H – Hawaiian slack-key (recommended Makana Cameron ‘Ki Ho’Alu’)
      I – Island Records (recommended King Sunny Ade ‘Juju Music’)
      J – Antonio Carlos Jobim
      K – Fela Kuti
      L – Alan Lomax
      M – Miriam Makeba
      N – Ney (recommended Kudsi Erguner ‘Ney:The Sacred Flute of the Whirling Dervishes’)
      O – Orquestra Buena Vista Social Club
      P – Astor Piazzola (recommended Tango: Zero Hour)
      Q – Qawwali
      R – Rumba (recommended Beny More with Perez Prado and Orchestra ‘El Barbaro del Ritmo)
      S – Sitar/ Shankar
      T – Tuareg
      U – Uilleann Pipes (recommended Seamus Ennis ’40 years of Irish Piping’)
      V – Vartina
      W – WOMAD
      X – Xylouris (recommended Psanantonis and the Ensemble Xylouris)
      Y – Youssou N’Dour
      Z – Zimbabwe (recommended Thomas Mapfumo ‘The Chimurenga Singles’
      Well, I think that is really, really good but there is scope for another one.

Suggestions:

A - Albanian Clarinet, B - Bulgarians, C - China, G - Gillett, M - Mediterranean Polyphony, O - Okinawa and S - Soundways.

What else do we think?

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        Well, I think that is really, really good but there is scope for another one.

Suggestions:

A - Albanian Clarinet, B - Bulgarians, C - China, G - Gillett, M - Mediterranean Polyphony, O - Okinawa and S - Soundways.

What else do we think?
        Well R could be Rai or Reggae, Lat, and for O I'd have Overtone Singing(maybe T - throat singing), C Cajun, S could be Harry Smith, B for Baku.

Comment

Well R could be Rai or Reggae, Lat, and for O I'd have Overtone Singing(maybe T - throat singing), C Cajun, S could be Harry Smith, B for Baku.
          Oh yes.

It is very tempting to do a 26 isn't it.

I don't think we can not do one.

Comment

Oh yes.

It is very tempting to do a 26 isn't it.

I don't think we can not do one.
            What else could be Q but Qawwali, Lat?

Comment

What else could be Q but Qawwali, Lat?
              That's yours.

I'm going to do the even letters as long as you sign up to Albanian clarinets for A.

Comment

That's yours.

I'm going to do the even letters as long as you sign up to Albanian clarinets for A.
                Not sure I'm Qawwali-fied to do it but I'll have a go, though perhaps others may wish to contribute their thoughts. Global might think Bèguèna for B, perhaps, not that I'd wish to place words in his mouth.
                Last edited by johncorrigan; 16-09-15, 09:37. Reason: just a thought

Comment

Not sure I'm Qawwali-fied to do it but I'll have a go, though perhaps others may wish to contribute their thoughts. Global might think Bèguèna for B, perhaps, not that I'd wish to place words in his mouth.
                  I hope he does, yes, and other people too.

Quantic would take you down the Gilles road - http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...panic-colombia - and could easily be combined with quasi though regrettably for any poets among us not Kwesi as in Johnson. You might instead opt for Qatari music but that would just bring in the oud, rebaba, galah and tabi elements on the forum and you know how radical they tend to be. If you are going to do it, don't post on a Friday or a Saturday night at the time they are pouring out . We quite like "the letter "Q" and other sounds in African click languages explained by Sibs", at least as he appears here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyJSBWoPsc - but clicks are Makeba and she is on the first list. It would also mean X couldn't be Xhosa. Plus Quilapayun/Quezados, Quechua which is obviously an elegant fit with "Q'ellabamba Campanitay" and the Queen of Salsa is Celia Cruz.

Quizaz, Quizaz, Quizaz.
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 16-09-15, 12:30.

Comment

So where does K Frimpong and his Cubano Fiestas fit then? confused....

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                      So where does K Frimpong and his Cubano Fiestas fit then? confused....
                      KFC?

Quote:

"Kwabena Boakye said:

"........it may be coincidence but if you look up collins marfo "owuo yi" album sold online in the past, people refered to it as a "K. Frimpong Style".... not to take away Frimpong's greatness but I know k. frimpong was doing the guitar band/palmwine style highlife before the cubano fiestas ...and collins marfo was playing afrobeat with Fela... are we sure that style is really k. frimpong or was it marfo?...A case of the chicken and the egg, who came first?""

Another great album shared by Ogoun Ferraille again. Thank you a thousand times to him. K.Frimpong recorded this album backed by t...

Erm, let's call it O for Obiba Collins Marfo.
                      Last edited by Lat-Literal; 16-09-15, 19:36.

Comment

I hope he does, yes, and other people too.

Quantic would take you down the Gilles road - http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...panic-colombia - and could easily be combined with quasi though regrettably for any poets among us not Kwesi as in Johnson. You might instead opt for Qatari music but that would just bring in the oud, rebaba, galah and tabi elements on the forum and you know how radical they tend to be. If you are going to do it, don't post on a Friday or a Saturday night at the time they are pouring out . We quite like "the letter "Q" and other sounds in African click languages explained by Sibs", at least as he appears here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZyJSBWoPsc - but clicks are Makeba and she is on the first list. It would also mean X couldn't be Xhosa. Plus Quilapayun/Quezados, Quechua which is obviously an elegant fit with "Q'ellabamba Campanitay" and the Queen of Salsa is Celia Cruz.

Quizaz, Quizaz, Quizaz.
                        Wonder if I could spell Kwela, Qwela? Probably not, the spellcheck just picked it up.

Comment

Wonder if I could spell Kwela, Qwela? Probably not, the spellcheck just picked it up.
                          Nor unfortunately is there a Qwassa Qwassa.

I really feel that we should give this a try though.

Comment

Nor unfortunately is there a Qwassa Qwassa.

I really feel that we should give this a try though.
                            Quite!

Comment

'Feed Me' by the Swan Silvertones starts Joe for F in his A-Z! No arguments here, and a surprise with it - well it was for me!
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 18-09-15, 17:25. Reason: re Paul Simon!

Comment

'Feed Me' by the Swan Silvertones starts Joe for F in his A-Z! No arguments here, and a surprise with it - well it was for me!
                                http://www.acast.com/boydaz
                                Interesting wasn't it. I liked the way he worked it into Rhymin' Simon. Love everything Paul Simon has done.

A lot of those tunes were on a television broadcast I recorded either on cassette recorder or reel-to-reel in 1975.

This wasn't on that album but it was my introduction to Jean-Baptiste Frédéric Isidor, Baron, "Toots", Thielemans:

Paul Simon and Toots Thielemans - I Do It For Your Love - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8v2j4lJJZY

Comment

Working...
                                X