Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

all music is world music except Sun Ra who is assuredly extra terrestrial ....
    Mulatu Astatke is jazz from this world ....

it's the guitar solo at the end, does it every time
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
      But are they country? .........

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

kd and The Reclines appear in the show, Town and Country, on UK's Channel Four in 1991. They were promoting their new album Absolute Torch & Twang. The song ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcbGF...feature=fvwrel
      For what it's worth, here's my take Lat!
      No 1 - No, probably not
      No 2 - Sorry I'm biased; but I have serious KD Block.
      No 3 - That's pretty good - country? probably, in my opinion.

By the way Lat, on the Thomas Fraser front I'd like to go for 'Lonely Boy on the Prairie' if for no other reason that the sentiments seems about as far from Shetland as you could get.

Comment

Calum,

Look what that guitar solo does to Daniel !

Lat 'n all. They's all world country music to me

Mind you I've never been to sure of that Ryan chap ( or indeed that other 'gig going' Ryan chap either, as of the other day ) ever since
        he sort of 'borrowed' a song for himself that a friend was writing while she was on tour with him ! Can't now remember which one .. )

Comment

My first ten thoughts:

1. Great selections from the last two weeks - Sorry for slowness on my part.

2. Thank you JC for the Thomas Fraser song. Will incorporate.

3. The Sun Ra comments are noted but what about Alice C and Moondog?

4. Whiskeytown bring to mind the phrase "alt country". Do we want to go there?

5. I am constantly amazed at the range of organic produce from the 60s and 70s.

6. We veer towards soul I think with Staton and Brandon but I take the point.

7. I took the Scottish jury's pick of the Outlaw. I might have offered "Overtime".

8. Loved the cartoons on the Slim Dusty cover. My kind of thing.

9. "In Dreams" ok - but it fitted Blue Velvet. Weird. Almost "Joe Meek" country.

10. "The Race Is On" - hmm - is that Frey's "Heat" only different? V reminiscent!

Comment

My second ten thoughts:

1. Good idea Global to reconsider the ready made lists. Will do so.

2. Nanci Griffith - Tecumseh Valley - Still my favourite of the last two weeks.

3. The Family Singers - extraordinary track - we need that Bhundus one too.

4. Ditto Kipsigis Tribe - who was Hugh Tracey? Where is he now?

5. Light Crust Doughboys - jazz with cowboy hats? Discussion welcome.

6. Loved the TVZ and Washington film. 1896 - My late Nan's era and the best.

7. Wilf Carter - Once heard, never forgotten. Must be other gems from him.

8. OC Smith - I was wobbly on this one - thought he was soul but it fits.

9. Steve Young - New to me and terrific. Will want to hear more.

10. Kinky Friedman - Erm, had heard of him, don't quite understand him though.
            Last edited by Guest; 17-05-11, 16:06.

Comment

My third ten thoughts:

1. Lefty Frizzell track - Obviously sound, speaks for itself.

2. Tim O'Brien - Comparatively recent artist? Don't know him.

3. Flatts and Scruggs - Were they at Newport 61? Know this one and like it.

4. Guy Clark - The Guitar - very good song but alas a duplicate.

5. Don Williams - Gypsy Woman - yes why not?

6. Chain Gang - Had no problems making this the main Jimmie Rodgers track.

7. Bob Wills - I much preferred "Stay A Little Longer" to "Roly Poly".

8. Gillian Welch - Wasn't she a Peel favourite? Time moves on and turns hazy.

9. kd Lang - Very strong singer - but did she ever really do country as such?

10. The Girls of the Golden West - Yes, another good song.

Comment

9 depends what yer mean by country innit
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Courtesy of PS via a sneaky Spoot inbox item, this should be on a list somewhere...

Last edited by Globaltruth; 17-05-11, 16:17. Reason: not the greatest version in the world...

Comment

Calum, well, I disagree with JC for once on kd because I think she has one of the best voices of the last 20 years. I believe that coming from where she does, she rather shook up country in a way that even Gram Parsons didn't manage. I quite like that because it must have taken a lot of nerve although the clips I have seen are a bit too close to novelty.

It was Ingenue which won me over, a record that wasn't country at all and which I would imagine jazzers found a little too coffee table. I just thought it was really excellent. I might get a decent country track from her on the list if I can find one. The one I offered above was written by Chris Isaak and as she says is country tinged.

Comment

Mamma don't allow no banjo players in here. Yeeeehaw.
                      The Winers of IBMA in America Music Shop 1991 Whith John Hartford, Del McCoury, Jerry Douglas, Alison Krauss,Stuart Duncan,Tony Rice, Sam Bush,Mark O´Connor,...

You're excused CDJ.

Comment

Calum, well, I disagree with JC for once on kd because I think she has one of the best voices of the last 20 years. I believe that coming from where she does, she rather shook up country in a way that even Gram Parsons didn't manage. I quite like that because it must have taken a lot of nerve although the clips I have seen are a bit too close to novelty.

It was Ingenue which won me over, a record that wasn't country at all and which I would imagine jazzers found a little too coffee table. I just thought it was really excellent. I might get a decent country track from her on the list if I can find one. The one I offered above was written by Chris Isaak and as she says is country tinged.
                        That's alright Lat - it was ingenue that did it for me too but clearly in the opposite manner cos I liked her ok up till then mostly due to a good buddy who in the mid-to-late 80s saw her in Glasgow and said it was the best, most rockin' gig he ever saw (the closest to seeing Elvis on stage, I think he put it) - from Ingenue on I stuck her in a box marked 'Celine and R2' and walked away - haven't quite got back there - doubt I ever will. That box has some serious nails holding it down.

Comment

I'm not saying that Elvis didn't make good records. It is just that you could number them on one hand. And here they are:

Train arrive, sixteen coaches longTrain arrive, sixteen coaches longWell that long black train got my baby and goneTrain train, comin' 'round, 'round the ben...

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

(On another occasion, I will do the greats of the Who, the Rolling Stones and Radiohead each on one hand )

Comment

.....Alright, I'll put everyone out of their misery and do the greats of the Who now:

Comment

I'm not saying that Elvis didn't make good records. It is just that you could number them on one hand. And here they are:

Train arrive, sixteen coaches longTrain arrive, sixteen coaches longWell that long black train got my baby and goneTrain train, comin' 'round, 'round the ben...

(On another occasion, I will do the greats of the Who, the Rolling Stones and Radiohead each on one hand )
                              No arguments about those but I'd have these too, among others Lat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRipt8GJ9GQ
                              Some more clips of the gorgeous elvis presley, along to his fab no.1 hit song Marie's the name! :D

Some pictures of the 68 special comeback with the song Guitar Man

Comment

.....Alright, I'll put everyone out of their misery and do the greats of the Who now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9CWJa9yK7I
                                I'd have these Lat.
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52cQeFBU2Kw - some of the best drumming by a great drummer!
                                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8dSBWysmnM - don't think this was a Townsend number - a favourite of me and my pals at a certain age - throat never quite recovered!

Comment

Working...
                                X