Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The middle one's fine. Think the Clash took that riff at some point. In fairness, I'd probably add "Jailhouse Rock". He was a bit too much of the celebrity for me though. Realise that these sorts of arguments are rarely consistent!

My favourite rock n roller for many years was Eddie Cochran and I always had quite a lot of time for Buddy Holly. However, once I'd seen Chuck Berry live when he was 81, I was just so impressed by the spirit of the man that I completely revised my opinion. For all of his flaws, it is Chuck for me every time.

....The Who are more difficult because I veered a little towards the mod thing. Some very early original memories and then with the Jam looking back. I do like a fair number of their songs to some extent - yes, "Happy Jack" and I should really include "Won't Get Fooled Again" - but not "My Generation", which just seems ludicrous with hindsight, and "Pinball Wizard" - always a maybe, maybe not.

I never took to their personalities much. Townsend has always been very awkward, Daltrey became a gentleman fish farmer, Moon was a maniac. I didn't go much for the apolitical destructiveness - a bit too Bullingdon. They had delusions of grandeur. I'd choose the Kinks by several miles for the art, the humour, the whimsy. The Small Faces too at their best although they were variable.

I should add that I did see Tommy performed as a musical in the West End and it was a remarkable bit of theatre. I also saw the Who live at Glastonbury a few years ago from a great distance. I do have one or two albums of theirs so it isn't dismissal - that is hardly possible - but there have always been some big question marks there. On the plus side, they are not the Stones!
    Last edited by Guest; 17-05-11, 23:20.

Comment

Fair enough, Lat - Chuck's got such great songs! I always kinda liked that New Orleans R'n'R of the Fat Man personally.

Comment

As we are going off on a tangent, and dwelling on the sixties, can I just put in a reminder here of an imminent 70th birthday. It is really one to celebrate, this, and let us hope that the radio fully acknowledges it. True greatness is rare and we are talking here of greatness. I feel privileged to have had my life enriched by it. Here's to many more of 'em. The best may be yet to come.
        Last edited by Guest; 17-05-11, 23:57.

Comment

I've been prompted to get back on the subject of suggestions for 'proper' early country, historical, and lookin' through my US 78s there are some country artistes from the 1920s that folks here might want to hear, when it all began, on record anyway.

The artistes I have from the 1920s include Fiddler Charlie Bowman, and a duo Doctor Lloyd and Howard Maxey. These 78s I have are not in great shape but I see the same artistes are heard on youtube so I'll let these links do the business,

Charlie Bowman http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6kBFTkeejc

Doctor Lloyd and Howard Maxey http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLqBmjtBzwY

I'll post some 1930s stuff later.
          - - -

John W

Comment

Thanks John, terrific. We needed that - or I did. Have a tendency to meander.

Comment

......Now then, who have we here? Think Hank Wangford is on it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

......Rosanne with Johnny -

.....Love this, Alison Krauss, beautiful, she seems to bridge country and folk

Music video by Alison Krauss & Union Station performing Paper Airplane. (C) 2011 Alison Krauss. Under exclusive license to Rounder Records. Manufactured and ...

....and speaking of the name, I like this from Allison Moorer

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

.....and this might be pushing it on the country tag, the fantastic "Sometimes" from Abigail Washburn

Last edited by Guest; 18-05-11, 01:09.

Comment

On the subject of Rosanne, Lat, here's one that I really like that her dad encouraged her to sing - and I think she makes a very fine go of it.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, john.
                    Bare essential.

Comment

And now a hero of mine, entered here for consideration by the selection committee.
                      Tom T Hall

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                        And now a hero of mine, entered here for consideration by the selection committee.
                        Tom T Hall
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSyio...eature=related
                        Point out what prevents this from being sentimental mawk & it may get my vote.

'I've written 300 songs and they all have the same tune'
                        many a true word....

Comment

Sentimental it is. Feeble it ain't ! That's a song created by a man who has to spend much of his
                          life on the road. Joe Henry did a magnificent version of it.

Tulsa Telephone Book anyone ? Another favourite !

Comment

Calexico's reading of that Tulsa phone book

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                              As we are going off on a tangent, and dwelling on the sixties, can I just put in a reminder here of an imminent 70th birthday. It is really one to celebrate, this, and let us hope that the radio fully acknowledges it. True greatness is rare and we are talking here of greatness. I feel privileged to have had my life enriched by it. Here's to many more of 'em. The best may be yet to come.
                              Are you indulging in a spot of avatar experimentation Lat? - are the soup days past with the coming of the sun? - or is it just gas probs again?
                              Anyhows on the subject of Bobbery, I enjoyed R2's go at 'Blonde on Blonde' on Monday night with Bill Nighy doing the voicing.

Here's a half crown* list of upcoming stuff

* 2/6

Comment

JC, The hole in the pavement has just been filled in. We were between 50 and 75 on the lower explosive level scale. Some will say it was coincidence. I would see as relevant the umpteen lorries crammed with tons of clay and flint that were parked up daily on the kerb. It is still the not at all grand canyon on the other side of the boundary fence.

Do keep them coming. I have preparations for Friday to do and it is in the morning this week. However, I will be dipping in and out of all this much more interesting stuff, Lat.

Comment

Working...
                                X