Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blimey - there is a lot of good stuff here. Thanks. First, I am moving the Janis Joplin version of MABM up to the first list as I have taken Global's selection of it on Spotify as a hint. I have also paid full attention to the Hank Wangford clip - should have done that before - and see that the title is "Riding High in the Saddle Again". If you will indulge me, I've included a Crystal Gayle song - "I've Cried The Blue Right Out Of My Eyes". She is one of my all-time favourite country singers. There is also a plunge into the unknown (to me), Riley Puckett - presumably not a predecessor of Gary? - and "I Wish I Was Single Again" from 1925.

As promised, I've added Paul's further two - the Blue Sky Boys with "Somebody Makes Me Think of You" and "Tommy" by Martha Midgette. I'm also including patrickod's suggestion of Buck Owens and The Buckaroos and "Act Naturally". George Jones and "The Image of Me" was a tough call because Paul put forward a very strong case for "Where Grass Won't Grow" but I'm making "Image" the selection for Pt 1 of the list as Rumbaba's contribution should be recognised and "therefore "Grass" goes down to Pt 2. Incidentally, there are several versions of "The Image of Me" on Spotify but I haven't found a better one. And there are a couple of tracks by a band who call themselves "The Country Rockers" but I doubt if they are the same as the one mentioned.

It's a yes to Eudaimonia's colourful "The Grand Ole Opry (Ain't So Grand Anymore) by Hank Williams III. It seems like there are some politics there! JC's "Lovin' on the Side" from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Paulette Carlson is definitely in and we must have something from Thomas Fraser - a very interesting clip with beautiful scenery - but, JC, do you want it to be his very unique version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" or something more identifiably in the genre? I'd be grateful if you would provide me with your preferred choice as I think you mentioned you had a cd even if we have to guess what it sounds like.

It may be that the two lists end up merging - I'm sensing it could be a 100 - but for now I have put Dean Martin in Pt 2 as he isn't principally seen as country. Jeannie C Riley makes it into the top list as do the duets between Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam, "Streets of Bakersfield", and Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton, "Jeannie's Afraid Of The Dark". Alas, I don't think we can take the Crystal and Tom duet or the version of "Jolene" by Susannah and the Magical Orchestra. By the way, the Pt 2 list has been sub-divided to explain the inclusions and I have added Roy Orbison and Charlie Rich as both have been mentioned.

This takes us up to and including post 89. Eudaimonia's post 90 looks full of potential - thanks Eudaimonia - I am going to have a look at those clips next although this won't be now until I've caught up on some sleep. Keep em comin - observations, clips of artists not yet mentioned, oddities from the vaults and mementos of Nashville. Performances of your own country songs would be particularly welcome. Ditto all your sonnets to Melba Montgomery. "There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done"!

Updated Lists

Part 1

Porter Wagoner - The Cold Hard Facts of Life
    Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues
    Hank Thompson - Six Pack To Go
    Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe
    Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel No 1
    Leon Payne/Jim Reeves - I Love You Because
    George Jones - The Image of Me
    Johnny Cash - Man In Black
    Tammy Wynette - D.I.V.O.R.C.E
    Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town
    Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
    Hank Wangford - Riding High in the Saddle Again
    Dolly Parton - Jolene
    Terry Allen - New Delhi Freight Train
    The Carter Family - Engine 143
    Guy Clark - Desperados Waiting For a Train
    Gram Parsons - Brass Buttons
    John Prine - Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
    Mary Chapin Carpenter - I Am A Town
    Mary Gauthier - I Drink
    The Handsome Family - So Much Wine
    Emmylou Harris - My Father's House
    Tex Ritter - High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)
    Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash - One Too Many Mornings
    Merle Haggard - The Bottle Let Me Down
    Roy Rogers with the Sons of Pioneers - Dust
    Corb Lund - The Truck Got Stuck
    Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band - The Mountain
    Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces
    Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby McGee
    Crystal Gayle - I've Cried The Blue Right Out Of My Eyes
    Riley Puckett - I Wish I Was Single Again
    The Blue Sky Boys - Somebody Makes Me Think of You
    Martha Midgette - Tommy
    Buck Owens and The Buckaroos - Act Naturally
    Hank Williams III - The Grand Ole Opry (Ain't So Grand Anymore)
    Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Paulette Carlson - Lovin' on the Side
    Thomas Fraser - (JC to provide a title)
    Jeannie C Riley - Harper Valley PTA
    Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam - Streets of Bakersfield
    Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton - Jeannie's Afraid Of The Dark

Part 2

Country crossover

Judy Collins - The City of New Orleans
    Marty Robbins - El Paso
    Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
    Dean Martin - Little Ole Wine Drinker Me

Duplicates

Porter Wagoner - The Rubber Room
    Merle Haggard - Why Am I Drinkin'?
    George Jones - Where Grass Won't Grow
    Johnny Cash - Walk The Line/I Won't Back Down/Hurt/The Man Comes Around

Pending

The Eagles - ?
    The Everly Brothers - ?
    Nanci Griffith - ?
    kd Lang - ?
    Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown - ?
    Lefty Frizzell -?
    Willie Nelson - ?
    The Louvin Brothers - ?
    Roy Orbison - ?
    Charlie Rich - ?
    Last edited by Guest; 05-05-11, 01:07.

Comment

Now I once lent a Lefty Frizzell LP to a certain Radio 1 DJ and the track he selected for the eager nation was a rather sweet one.
      I'll be back when I can remember what it was !
      As for Willie and The Louvins and Roy Orbison ...
      Actually I do have a Roy Orbison song that edges the rest of the supernatural man's work :

' In Dreams '

In Dreams by the Lynch mob

Roy
      this amazing song by the big O redone in HD & wide screen see our many guests you can spot.

Roy
      Last edited by Guest; 04-05-11, 08:19.

Comment

This, for me, is an extremely bitter-sweet one from Nanci Griffith. She's singing 'Tecumseh Valley' in tribute to Townes Van Zandt ( the late )
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

We saw the great man play in a Stoke pub to fewer than twenty folk not too long before he died.
        Some years later one of our dogs died very, very unexpectedly in an out-of-hours veterinary surgery just a couple
        of hundred yards from that same pub.
        His name was ' Townes '
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

When Mary Gauthier was staying with us some years back we watched
        that film, ' Heartworn Highways' which she hadn't seen previously. Eye mopping equipment was provided as and when required.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
          A fascinating story Eudaimonia. I will listen to the track and John's one from Shetland shortly. As we are in all senses casting the net widely, is there any decent country music - and I do mean proper country music - from Africa, Scandinavia, Australasia etc? I'm not necessarily expecting a yes!
          Australia, Lat? Especially the first one here from Slim.
          This is another Aussie Sing Song, that has some great songs, including Waltzing Matilda. Enjoy!

...and of course my favourite bit of Zimbabwean Country:cool2:
          A unique style of music to me a cross over of African to Country style with such fun and joy in their voices and play with the music , not everyone's taste i...

OK, they're probably not real C&W but they sound country to my brain.

Comment

John,

And in the direction Zimbabwe to the United Stated, those with acute hearing might be able
            to hear The Bhundu Boys in the mix of a Don Williams number ( don't ask me which one ! )

That Zimbabwean country item is just exhilirating.

Now who is going to find that Jimmy Rodgers ( 'Chemirocha' ) tribute ?

- - - -
            a little later ...

Got it !

And complete with a fab intro from the wonderful human, Hugh Tracey ... find of the week !!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
              John,

And in the direction Zimbabwe to the United Stated, those with acute hearing might be able
              to hear The Bhundu Boys in the mix of a Don Williams number ( don't ask me which one ! )

That Zimbabwean country item is just exhilirating.

Now who is going to find that Jimmy Rodgers ( 'Chemirocha' ) tribute ?

- - - -
              a little later ...

Got it !

And complete with a fab intro from the wonderful human, Hugh Tracey ... find of the week !!!!!!!!
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-PjVgim89w
              Thanks for the chemirocha - a fine post lunch start to the afternoon's toils, Paul. I noticed a reference to this site beneath the youtube video and think it looks interesting and will investigate later.

Comment

Steve Young - Montgomery In The Rain

Buy more Steve Young @ http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/switchblades-of-love/id6838448

Tim O'Brien - Look Down That Lonesome Road

Tim O'Brien - vocals & mandolinJerry Douglas - dobroRuss Barenberg - guitarAly Bain - fiddleJames MacIntosh - percussionTodd Parks - bass

Comment

Not sure I can go much further without this one FLat.

Comment

The first of the latest batch I have looked at is the Nanci Griffith one. Absolutely fantastic - very possibly my favourite on the list so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                      Blimey - there is a lot of good stuff here. Thanks. First, I am moving the Janis Joplin version of MABM up to the first list as I have taken Global's selection of it on Spotify as a hint. I have also paid full attention to the Hank Wangford clip - should have done that before - and see that the title is "Riding High in the Saddle Again". If you will indulge me, I've included a Crystal Gayle song - "I've Cried The Blue Right Out Of My Eyes". She is one of my all-time favourite country singers. There is also a plunge into the unknown (to me), Riley Puckett - presumably not a predecessor of Gary? - and "I Wish I Was Single Again" from 1925.

As promised, I've added Paul's further two - the Blue Sky Boys with "Somebody Makes Me Think of You" and "Tommy" by Martha Midgette. I'm also including patrickod's suggestion of Buck Owens and The Buckaroos and "Act Naturally". George Jones and "The Image of Me" was a tough call because Paul put forward a very strong case for "Where Grass Won't Grow" but I'm making "Image" the selection for Pt 1 of the list as Rumbaba's contribution should be recognised and "therefore "Grass" goes down to Pt 2. Incidentally, there are several versions of "The Image of Me" on Spotify but I haven't found a better one. And there are a couple of tracks by a band who call themselves "The Country Rockers" but I doubt if they are the same as the one mentioned.

It's a yes to Eudaimonia's colourful "The Grand Ole Opry (Ain't So Grand Anymore) by Hank Williams III. It seems like there are some politics there! JC's "Lovin' on the Side" from the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Paulette Carlson is definitely in and we must have something from Thomas Fraser - a very interesting clip with beautiful scenery - but, JC, do you want it to be his very unique version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" or something more identifiably in the genre? I'd be grateful if you would provide me with your preferred choice as I think you mentioned you had a cd even if we have to guess what it sounds like.

It may be that the two lists end up merging - I'm sensing it could be a 100 - but for now I have put Dean Martin in Pt 2 as he isn't principally seen as country. Jeannie C Riley makes it into the top list as do the duets between Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam, "Streets of Bakersfield", and Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton, "Jeannie's Afraid Of The Dark". Alas, I don't think we can take the Crystal and Tom duet or the version of "Jolene" by Susannah and the Magical Orchestra. By the way, the Pt 2 list has been sub-divided to explain the inclusions and I have added Roy Orbison and Charlie Rich as both have been mentioned.

This takes us up to and including post 89. Eudaimonia's post 90 looks full of potential - thanks Eudaimonia - I am going to have a look at those clips next although this won't be now until I've caught up on some sleep. Keep em comin - observations, clips of artists not yet mentioned, oddities from the vaults and mementos of Nashville. Performances of your own country songs would be particularly welcome. Ditto all your sonnets to Melba Montgomery. "There'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done"!

Updated Lists

Part 1

Porter Wagoner - The Cold Hard Facts of Life
                      Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues
                      Hank Thompson - Six Pack To Go
                      Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe
                      Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel No 1
                      Leon Payne/Jim Reeves - I Love You Because
                      George Jones - The Image of Me
                      Johnny Cash - Man In Black
                      Tammy Wynette - D.I.V.O.R.C.E
                      Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town
                      Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
                      Hank Wangford - Riding High in the Saddle Again
                      Dolly Parton - Jolene
                      Terry Allen - New Delhi Freight Train
                      The Carter Family - Engine 143
                      Guy Clark - Desperados Waiting For a Train
                      Gram Parsons - Brass Buttons
                      John Prine - Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
                      Mary Chapin Carpenter - I Am A Town
                      Mary Gauthier - I Drink
                      The Handsome Family - So Much Wine
                      Emmylou Harris - My Father's House
                      Tex Ritter - High Noon (Do Not Forsake Me)
                      Bob Dylan and Johnny Cash - One Too Many Mornings
                      Merle Haggard - The Bottle Let Me Down
                      Roy Rogers with the Sons of Pioneers - Dust
                      Corb Lund - The Truck Got Stuck
                      Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band - The Mountain
                      Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces
                      Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby McGee
                      Crystal Gayle - I've Cried The Blue Right Out Of My Eyes
                      Riley Puckett - I Wish I Was Single Again
                      The Blue Sky Boys - Somebody Makes Me Think of You
                      Martha Midgette - Tommy
                      Buck Owens and The Buckaroos - Act Naturally
                      Hank Williams III - The Grand Ole Opry (Ain't So Grand Anymore)
                      Nitty Gritty Dirt Band and Paulette Carlson - Lovin' on the Side
                      Thomas Fraser - (JC to provide a title)
                      Jeannie C Riley - Harper Valley PTA
                      Buck Owens and Dwight Yoakam - Streets of Bakersfield
                      Porter Wagoner and Dolly Parton - Jeannie's Afraid Of The Dark

Part 2

Country crossover

Judy Collins - The City of New Orleans
                      Marty Robbins - El Paso
                      Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
                      Dean Martin - Little Ole Wine Drinker Me

Duplicates

Porter Wagoner - The Rubber Room
                      Merle Haggard - Why Am I Drinkin'?
                      George Jones - Where Grass Won't Grow
                      Johnny Cash - Walk The Line/I Won't Back Down/Hurt/The Man Comes Around

Pending

The Eagles - ?
                      The Everly Brothers - ?
                      Nanci Griffith - ?
                      kd Lang - ?
                      Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown - ?
                      Lefty Frizzell -?
                      Willie Nelson - ?
                      The Louvin Brothers - ?
                      Roy Orbison - ?
                      Charlie Rich - ?
                      Oh I do like a good list.
                      So, can we substitute the Jimmie Rodgers track for this
                      Jimmie Rodgers track The chain gang
                      such resonance don't you think?

and don't forget this playlist from PS and, dare I mention it, this, just in case anyone needs a break...
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-05-11, 08:36. Reason: loose spelling. intolerabubble.

Comment

Thank you all. Much appreciated. We're living in a powder keg and giving off sparks!

I've got to satisfy the Friday mob and there are four weeks of it to represent somehow. I really should do The Verb too.

Then there is AV and Verity and distraction on Platform 3.

I could be some time in coming back with comments. There is still time for more suggestions.

Time for any job searching, Friday mob? I already have a full time occupation!!
                        Last edited by Guest; 05-05-11, 19:34.

Comment

Have we had Kinky Friedman and 'they ain't makin' jews like Jesus anymore' ?

This is the great Kinkster, in the days before he was running for office in Texas. This is my first editing/upload effort, so it's largely a test. I hope t...

Comment

Originally posted by Rumbaba View Post
                            Have we had Kinky Friedman and 'they ain't makin' jews like Jesus anymore' ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESNCWrks6vQ
                            A brilliant suggestion.
                            I recommend reading his books too.
                            But not necessarily at the same time.

Only one of his songs on Stoopify - disappointing, but here it is

Comment

...and a crackin' tune it is Global - thanks for that one.... and Joni sang about her too.
                              i dreamed of 747s ... over geometric farms.Amelia, it was just a false alarm.

But back to the topic in hand - there must still be room for a bit of Bob Wills - I'm going for Roly Poly, though I could do with losing a pound or twenty.
                              Ah Haa . . . Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys doing "Roly Poly," a 1946 Columbia Records release all about "daddy's little fatty." "Roly Poly, eatin' corn n...
                              Last edited by johncorrigan; 06-05-11, 10:45. Reason: I just needed some space and a different tense!

Comment

Rushing in with that Lefty Frizell entry
                                ' Don't Stay Away '

Comment

Working...
                                X