Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move to Scotland Lat - I mean the next door neighbours moan about us but you usually cannae hear them for the bagpipes, and cannae smell them for the mutton pies.

By the way, Verity opened with a top Guy Clark tune tonight - hing on while I see if I can find it. Ah there it is - good old youtube - he's great live if you ever get a chance, by the way.

Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson at The Cactus Cafe, Austin, Texas

Comment

I'm working on it. Do you know Ayr? Why is it only one of three Conservative areas in Scotland and weirdly cheap for housing?
      There must be a catch.

(Normal service will be resumed soon.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
        I'm working on it. Do you know Ayr? Why is it only one of three Conservative areas in Scotland and weirdly cheap for housing?
        There must be a catch.

(Normal service will be resumed soon.)
        That Clyde coast is pretty nice Lat - Burns country of course - I kinda like Ayr though the Firth of Clyde might be described as the Scottish Med - I always liked Girvan; and Troon has a good ice cream shop - maybe they're worried about Tsunamis or something and that's why the prices are low - of course we don't have inflation up here - Wee Eck Salmond sees to that - and you can get to Arran from Ardrossan down there too (or you used to be able to).....and there's always the golf! By the way Verity really is pretty good - amazing what a year out's done for her.
        Last edited by johncorrigan; 12-05-11, 00:25. Reason: rubbish conjunctivitis!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your conjunctivitis. Hope it gets better soon.

If I sold my place now, Scotland is probably the only area in which I could buy a small house, not a flat. As it is, I need for now to be close to my parents as their future carer, (only child), not that they do anything other than rebel whenever there is any hint of it, ie this morning lugging huge bags of compost up my path while I was out, even though my father can barely walk.

We are getting a surveyor in. We may move in the coming months. This will be a huge effort for them as they have been in the same place for 42 years and this area for over 60. We are sociable people - well, they are - but we are literally feeling forced out by the assault of my past employer, the Government, and their neighbour who may have put their property at risk.

I may have to live in a caravan if we do as I can't get another mortgage.

Comment

I went to inspect the huge abyss that is within 3 metres of my parents' small property and the Lord of the Manor opened the window in his newly built ivory tower. According to him there has been no noise for days on end from the tanks scooping out half of the borough.

He was "unaware" of the Party Wall etc Act 1996, although he builds and sells property from here to Slovenia. If I insisted on a Notice, as required, he would see me in court. As soon as I mentioned the phrases "the monstrosity of your extension" and "it's the return of Osama bin Laden - another ground zero", he shut the window as fast as Juliet but he's a very, very, ugly version of her.

The chasm is sheer and below the foundations of the bungalow. I wouldn't mind except it is the final straw in this country's campaign to make us destitute. It can only be a matter of time before the bricks split, and everything slips down the 1 in 9. Come to think of it, we'd have had better treatment in the past year with me working for, and them living next door to, a Taliban training camp.
            Normally the best course of action is a chat with the parties involved - the above post sounds like that has happened with little success.
            So a quick call to the local Planning department I reckon - and I'm assuming you've got some photos...although not a fan of some of the core principles of planning departments I have to say that in these parts they are prompt, helfpul, courteous, efficient.

Now back to V. Sharp on the other thread methinks...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
              ... Wee Eck Salmond sees to that ...

Alec and another fellow.

Willie, Alec and another fellow.

There is a resemblance isn't there... but I do think the opportunistic posturing and arrogance has reduced it a little. Still, Wee Eck may get over it..
              Certainly a sight for sore eyes JC...

Feart? Certainly should be...

anyone remember the caption competition? feel free..
              Last edited by Globaltruth; 12-05-11, 13:10. Reason: the cpshun competish

Comment

Global - thanks. I hope that this thread can be returned to its subject very soon. This is not how I thought it would go or what I wanted. The same is true of life.

I have been in action. The Council have now visited the site twice. They do not consider that there is a risk to our properties. I have appointed a surveyor who is undertaking a schedule of condition. Already in conversation he does not necessarily agree with that assessment.

The legislation has been breached in many respects and I can now quote chapter and verse. I have been discussing the matter too with lawyers and there will be a letter.

I continue to struggle with a lot of this. It really isn't what any of us needed at this time - but I do hope to be on topic again very soon - Lat.

Comment

Global - thanks. I hope that this thread can be returned to its subject very soon. This is not how I thought it would go or what I wanted. The same is true of life.

I have been in action. The Council have now visited the site twice. They do not consider that there is a risk to our properties. I have appointed a surveyor who is undertaking a schedule of condition. Already in conversation he does not necessarily agree with that assessment.

The legislation has been breached in many respects and I can now quote chapter and verse. I have been discussing the matter too with lawyers and there will be a letter.

I continue to struggle with a lot of this. It really isn't what any of us needed at this time - but I do hope to be on topic again very soon - Lat.
                  it is interesting though - I've found surveyors to be extremely wary of commitment, adding caveats all over the place and generally not earning their salt. How about a good builder? We have a listing service locally called Trusted Trader, run by the county council, and people you find from there are without exception (so far) fine...perhaps a suitably qualified builder may opine?

Oh yes, and by the way, I think I spotted one of these in the trench...

WORK MUST STOP IMMEDIATELY!!

Comment

They have been very good so far. The creature above is fine but it will soon be joined by one of these if I get my way:

Comment

....and a couple of these:

Comment

inevitably...

Comment

Sheriff Ingerland:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            inevitably...

What's Hitler doing standing with his bike, Global? - seeking out a potential new bunker perhaps!

Comment

>>>We have a listing service

" Derbyshire County Council will not accept any liability whatsoever arising out of the use of the information obtained through Derbyshire Trusted Trader "

Comment

A small handful of the crop that's in Willie Nelson's field

Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain
                                "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain" from Willie Nelson's Live From Austin Texas performance. Buy it today on Amazon http://amzn.to/1dL5tyz or iTunes http://smartu...

Funny How Time Slips Away

She Is Gone
                                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Crazy

Comment

Working...
                                X