Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alan Lomax archive

the Alan Lomax archive was featured on Late Junction a while back, here's the link to the site which is stuffed full of audio, video and photos, even featuring a Global Jukebox (pace Paul Sherratt late of this parish)

http://research.culturalequity.org/home-audio.jsp

During the nineteen-fifties Lomax worked extensively for the BBC, familiarizing British audiences with the folk music of America, Ireland, Britain, Spain, Italy and other parts of the world. He was heard on the BBC once more in 1966 when he and Guy Carawan did two shows — The Folk Song Army and Songs of Protest — for Bridson’s series America Since the Bomb.
    These BBC programmes did sound particularly interesting, so hoping that the promise by Max to dig these out comes to fruition...

Yes Max...we all heard you say that thing

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      the Alan Lomax archive was featured on Late Junction a while back, here's the link to the site which is stuffed full of audio, video and photos, even featuring a Global Jukebox (pace Paul Sherratt late of this parish)

http://research.culturalequity.org/home-audio.jsp

These BBC programmes did sound particularly interesting, so hoping that the promise by Max to dig these out comes to fruition...
      Thanks GT.

I had a spell in spring of buying CDs I couldn't really afford - but what the heck - to update my collection so that it includes many of the great discoveries since being on this forum and represents where I am in 2016. I could do with some pointers on Alan Lomax because I was left floundering there, unlike, say, on the Ethiopiques where I knew what I wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
        Thanks GT.

I had a spell in spring of buying CDs I couldn't really afford - but what the heck - to update my collection so that it includes many of the great discoveries since being on this forum and represents where I am in 2016. I could do with some pointers on Alan Lomax because I was left floundering there, unlike, say, on the Ethiopiques where I knew what I wanted.
        Pointers are tricky in this case, Lat. Alan Lomax dipped his toe in so many waters and with such diligence that not only must he have had a perfectly clean toe but also created a vast and varied archive. Some of it is not to my taste, so the Global Jukebox is a miscellany. I'll certainly share any gems I find here and hope others do the same. It looks likely that MR will revisit too and hopefully add to the pleasurable confusion.

(Ps I've got a feeling I've found another cracking Ethiopiques - will track it down and share)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Pointers are tricky in this case, Lat. Alan Lomax dipped his toe in so many waters and with such diligence that not only must he have had a perfectly clean toe but also created a vast and varied archive. Some of it is not to my taste, so the Global Jukebox is a miscellany. I'll certainly share any gems I find here and hope others do the same. It looks likely that MR will revisit too and hopefully add to the pleasurable confusion.

(Ps I've got a feeling I've found another cracking Ethiopiques - will track it down and share)
          Thanks GT.

Comment

I was listening to Wo3 from Friday night and Kathryn played a fine old Italian tune recorded by Lomax of the Trallaleri of Genoa...La Partenza. Seems all the performers are male which I didn't realise when I was listening to it.

...and while I was there youtube's algorithms followed up with this wonderful Calabrese folk song. (not Lomax)

Comment

In St Andrews at the weekend for a rake around on the beach and then in the town's quality Chazza shops - picked up, in a bargain bin, for 30p, a Library of Congress collection, 'A Treasury of Field Recordings' - 30 tracks for 30p, as Master C put it, and with quality sleevenotes. Top notch...here's a cracker from the Nashville Washboard Band recorded by Alan Lomax in '42.

In case you're wondering, there's a tin-can bull fiddle in there.

Comment

Working...
              X