Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johncorrigan
    • Nov 2010

With Joan Baez having recently acquired octogenarian status, here she is from the 70s giving us a bit of Mexican Tuesday delight with 'De Colores'.

Feliz cumpleaños, Joan.

Comment

• Globaltruth
      Host
      • Nov 2010

This is not Joan Baez....

A video of the song "la Llorona", made in Yuriria Gto. (Mexico), during the Day of the dead. Singer : Jocelyne DominguezGuitar and musical arrangement : Simo...

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
        Thanks for the heads-up, Global. That aerial camera shot at the start of the vid had me thinking I was going to see that old cartoon we used to draw at school of the Mexican frying an egg.

Comment

• Globaltruth
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Thanks for the heads-up, Global. That aerial camera shot at the start of the vid had me thinking I was going to see that old cartoon we used to draw at school of the Mexican frying an egg.
          Those drones have got a lot to answer for....

Comment

• johncorrigan
            • Nov 2010

Those drones have got a lot to answer for....
            Sometimes I just want them to buzz off, Global.

Comment

• johncorrigan
              • Nov 2010

Happy Mexican Tuesday, courtesy of Wim Wenders and Ry. Never tire of it.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                • Nov 2010

Elvira Ríos con Orquesta José Morand - Perfidia (bolero)
                Women got Feelin':https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/women-got-feelin-vol.1/id634970877?l=eshttps://itunes.apple.com/us/album/women-got-feelin-vol.-2/id662660...

Happy scratchy Mexican Tuesday!

Comment

• Padraig
                  • Feb 2013

I'll go with the feeling of Scott Joplin that this piece qualifies for Mexican Tuesday - an arrangement of his piano solo, with the subtitle 'A Mexican Serenade'.

Composed and published in 1909 by Scott Joplin, I first heard it as a little girl when my father took me to see the film, "The Sting." With its beautiful mel...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                    I'll go with the feeling of Scott Joplin that this piece qualifies for Mexican Tuesday - an arrangement of his piano solo, with the subtitle 'A Mexican Serenade'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAJqhxUXGXk
                    ...and fantastic illustrations to go along with it, Padraig.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Rafael Méndez playing his trumpet on 'El Gitano' - one to get the blood flowing.
                      El Gitano - Rafael Mendez trumpetЭль Гитано - Рафаэль Мендес - трубаhttps://www.scoreexchange.com/scores/547398.html

Happy Mexican Tuesday.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Something wonderful today, Linda Ronstadt live with the Mariachi Vargas, playing La Cigarra, from a Canciones De Mi Padre Concert in 1989.
                        She is 67 now and sadly suffers from Parkinsons disease.
                        In the eighties, she performed Gilbert and Sullivan’s “The Pirates of Penzance” on Broadway, then recorded a standards album with Nelson Riddle, and released “Canciones de Mi Padre,” a collection of traditional Mexican songs - the best-selling non-English language album in American history at that time . It was her performance on Carla Bley's experimental jazz album, Escalator Over The Hill that made me aware she was more than a powerful MoR American voice.

Linda Ronstadt performs La Cigarra with Mariachi Vargas from the Conciones De Mi Padre Concert broadcast on PBS' "Great Performances", March 3rd, 1989.
                        Last edited by Globaltruth; 06-04-21, 09:19.

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

Something wonderful today, Linda Ronstadt live with the Mariachi Vargas, playing La Cigarra, from a Canciones De Mi Padre Concert in 1989.
                          She is 67 now and sadly suffers from Parkinsons disease.
                          In the eighties, she performed Gilbert and Sullivan’s “The Pirates of Penzance” on Broadway, then recorded a standards album with Nelson Riddle, and released “Canciones de Mi Padre,” a collection of traditional Mexican songs - the best-selling non-English language album in American history at that time . It was her performance on Carla Bley's experimental jazz album, Escalator Over The Hill that made me aware she was more than a powerful MoR American voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rn3SeUTuyEY

Such a cruel shame she cannot sing anymore.
                          In addition to ‘Pirates of Penzance’ she also attempted ‘La Boheme’ with less success even though she had the voice and range for Mimi!
                          Her autobiography ‘Simple Dreams’ is a good read.
                          Also for such an excellent singer strange that her only UK top 40 single was ‘Blue Bayou’.
                          I love her albums with Nelson Riddle arrangements of standards, and also her Trio albums with Dolly and Emmylou - good songs and great harmonies!
                          The Mexican songs are very much authentic as she is bilingual having been born and raised close to the Mexican border.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                            • Nov 2010

A treat indeed, GT. Thanks. Must investigate further...and like cloughie, I also love those Trio recotrds.

Comment

• Globaltruth
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post

Such a cruel shame she cannot sing anymore.
                              In addition to ‘Pirates of Penzance’ she also attempted ‘La Boheme’ with less success even though she had the voice and range for Mimi!
                              Her autobiography ‘Simple Dreams’ is a good read.
                              Also for such an excellent singer strange that her only UK top 40 single was ‘Blue Bayou’.
                              I love her albums with Nelson Riddle arrangements of standards, and also her Trio albums with Dolly and Emmylou - good songs and great harmonies!
                              The Mexican songs are very much authentic as she is bilingual having been born and raised close to the Mexican border.
                              Thanks for the correction Cloughie - should have double checked, and also for your considered post.
                              Yes, her grand father was a Mexican band leader.
                              She now again lives close to the border...

Comment

• johncorrigan
                                • Nov 2010

Thanks for the correction Cloughie - should have double checked, and also for your considered post.
                                Yes, her grand father was a Mexican band leader.
                                She now again lives close to the border...
                                Can't stop playing this, Global. Wonderful performance. What a voice!
                                live performance of La Charreada from Linda's Canciones de mi Padre album

Comment

Working...
                                X