Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    play in the background of whatever you're doing for the next few minutes.

The Three Themes (from Tati's "Mon oncle") · Frank Barcellini​
    Talking of Tati, Global, Talking Pictures TV are showing 'Jour de Fete' tomorrow evening at 6.10pm. First time I ever saw it was in a cinema in France - I had never heard of Jacques Tati, which my French and German hosts found almost as funny as the film.

On a different subject, Cerys Matthews was doing a review of 2023 and she played this song again by Myriam Gendron. I think she may be Canadian - this is the beautiful 'Poor Girl Blues' and fits perfectly into the first French Wednesday of 2024.
    Provided to YouTube by Myriam GendronPoor Girl Blues · Myriam GendronMa délire - Songs of love, lost & found℗ 2021 Myriam GendronReleased on: 2021-10-01Main ...

Bonne année!

Comment

It's a Wednesday and it's the day of Valentine - perhaps Lucienne Boyer would be appropriate singing 'Parlez-Moi D'Amour' for a French Valentine Wednesday.
      Lucienne Boyer - Parlez-Moi D'Amour [1930]presentation byR 3 T Я 8 T 8 Rfor the promotion and conservationof the arts and the general preservationof popcultu...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
        perhaps Lucienne Boyer would be appropriate singing 'Parlez-Moi D'Amour'
        Very appropriate, John. I heard a lovely version of Plaisir d'Amour this morning which I thought of posting, but you beat me to it, you old romantic.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post

Very appropriate, John. I heard a lovely version of Plaisir d'Amour this morning which I thought of posting, but you beat me to it, you old romantic.

I wouldn't let that stop you, Padraig.

Comment

John, excuse my French; I mistakenly identified the song I heard this morning - in fact it was Parlez-moi d'Amour, not Plaisir d'Amour, which is all too well-known anyway. Here is another chanson d'amour with a nod to the Hot Cub of France.

Où es-tu mon amour (Django) – Tatiana Eva-Marie - YouTube

Comment

Dalida/Delon Paroles, évidemment!

Comment

Soon be Wednesday.

Padraig's post from Monday made me think of chansonniers and their infleunce on Jake Thackray.

A little Brel:

He influenced one or two other people too....

And if one day I should becomeA singer with a Spanish bumWho sings for women of great virtueI'd sing to them with a guitarI borrowed from a coffee barWell, w...

Comment

Agnés Varda's New Wave classic 'Cléo 5 à 7' has the wonderful Corinne Marchant singing/rehearsing the new song 'Sans Toi' written for her by Michel Legrand (who plays the pianist in the film).
                  Very interesting director Varda, the first woman to direct a full length feature and in France a feminist icon.

Today though, another version, by Meow Meow, who sang 'The Mother' in the London production of the stage version of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, BTW Varda was married to Jacques Demy the director of the original film of 'Umbrellas'. Michel Legrand reprises his role as pianist, those Moonlight Sonata type arpeggios played now by ageing fingers.

This song has a special poignancy for me as we were staying in the flat we use in Paris at Rue Daguerre 14th arr. when Varda died. On going down to the boulangerie, almost opposite Varda's house we noticed crowds standing outside and candles and potatoes on the pavement (a reference to the Varda 'The gleaners and I'), on asking we were told she had died the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                    Agnés Varda's New Wave classic 'Cléo 5 à 7' has the wonderful Corinne Marchant singing/rehearsing the new song 'Sans Toi' written for her by Michel Legrand (who plays the pianist in the film).
                    Very interesting director Varda, the first woman to direct a full length feature and in France a feminist icon.

Today though, another version, by Meow Meow, who sang 'The Mother' in the London production of the stage version of The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, BTW Varda was married to Jacques Demy the director of the original film of 'Umbrellas'. Michel Legrand reprises his role as pianist, those Moonlight Sonata type arpeggios played now by ageing fingers.

This song has a special poignancy for me as we were staying in the flat we use in Paris at Rue Daguerre 14th arr. when Varda died. On going down to the boulangerie, almost opposite Varda's house we noticed crowds standing outside and candles and potatoes on the pavement (a reference to the Varda 'The gleaners and I'), on asking we were told she had died the night before.
                    Thanks for sharing memories, they almost always make a post more powerful.
                    We saw Meow Meow a few years back in Berlin. An enigmatic figure - not only a friend of David Bowie but also Dame Edna
                    Vale Barry Humphries. Somehow I think he is very happy indeed in the big stage above, I can hear the laughter from here. So grateful for the eye watering lau...

(perhaps there should be a Deutsch thread in this series)

. I'm also always pleased to be reminded of her and this is so atypical of when we saw her in full, faded, blowsy, boozy cabaret mode.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Thank you, Roger. Great song, beautifully performed - not sure I recall ever seeing Michel Legrande before, now that I think of it.

Comment

Soon be Wednesday.

Padraig's post from Monday made me think of chansonniers and their infleunce on Jake Thackray.
                        ...and I was thinking that Leonard was also influenced by them, GT, and then 'The Partisan' came on the radio this morning. Glorious - 'Songs From a Room' was a real school record, and it's ideal for a French Wednesday, what with there being lots of French in it.
                        From 1969 album Songs from a room set to images from the Spanish Civil War and World War II.

Comment

Thanks for sharing memories, they almost always make a post more powerful.
                          We saw Meow Meow a few years back in Berlin. An enigmatic figure - not only a friend of David Bowie but also Dame Edna
                          Vale Barry Humphries. Somehow I think he is very happy indeed in the big stage above, I can hear the laughter from here. So grateful for the eye watering lau...

(perhaps there should be a Deutsch thread in this series)

. I'm also always pleased to be reminded of her and this is so atypical of when we saw her in full, faded, blowsy, boozy cabaret mode.
                          I didn't know about the Bowie and Dame Edna connection - I think she is actually Australian (Edit: as well as Dame Edna of course!!) I've never seen Meow Meow 'live' or Dame Edna come to that.....but I did see Bowie once, at the Weston Super Mare Winter Gardens during my mis-spent teenage years.
                          Last edited by Roger Webb; 21-02-24, 17:52.

Comment

One of my favourite 'shorts' is the 2nd in Truffaut's Antoine Doinel series.

'Antoine et Colette', was written as a commission as part of a collaboration with other 'New Wave' directors of the time and explores music, love and growing up.

The ending shows Antoine settling down to watch a documentary about contemporary music with his girlfriend's parents - she's just gone for a night out with someone else!

The clip is particularly interesting as Truffaut used stills by Cartier-Bresson of lovers in Paris while the short but lovely 'l'Amour à 20 ans' written by Georges Delarue, and sung by him plays.

By the way the chap in the bowler at the end looks remarkably like Michael Cox, flautist with the BBC SO!

Comment

Meow Meow is very definitely Australian—she’s a dear friend although I haven’t seen her in far too long. I met her late last century before she was quite so famous. We both performed in the premiere of a Liza Lim opera. Under our real names of course.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver sudden View Post
                                Meow Meow is very definitely Australian—she’s a dear friend although I haven’t seen her in far too long. I met her late last century before she was quite so famous. We both performed in the premiere of a Liza Lim opera. Under our real names of course.
                                Moon Spirit Feasting?

Comment

Working...
                                X