Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been enjoying the new series on Radio 4 by Laura Barton, and it made me go back to her series 'Notes from a Musical Island',, still on Beebsounds, where she travels to four sites in England to explore the musical heritage. First episode had Kathryn Tickell and the Unthanks among others as she looked at 'Northumberland and the coastal city of Sunderland to explore how music and landscape are intimately related'. Very enjoyable indeed.
    Laura Barton visits Northumberland and the coastal city of Sunderland on Tyne and Wear.

Comment

BBC announces new commissions and structure to grow the BBC’s Arts and Music offer

BBC Two will increase its resources for arts and music, whilst BBC Four becomes the home of arts and music performance and will bring together collections of the most distinctive content from the BBC’s rich archive. The BBC will also open up its entire BBC Local Radio network to local arts organisations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20...arts-and-music

Comment

Originally posted by tim2017 View Post
        BBC announces new commissions and structure to grow the BBC’s Arts and Music offer

BBC Two will increase its resources for arts and music, whilst BBC Four becomes the home of arts and music performance and will bring together collections of the most distinctive content from the BBC’s rich archive. The BBC will also open up its entire BBC Local Radio network to local arts organisations.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/20...arts-and-music
        Interesting ..... I would have thought teamsaint would have been a shoe in for Controller of Pop Music ......

Comment

I chanced on Sam Lee on BBC Radio 4's 'Open Country' this afternoon talking about English folk songs associated with place, connecting the listener to the people who existed in those places. There were some things of interest in there, although I still find it difficult to get past not being Sam Lee's biggest fan.
          Folk singer Sam Lee explores the historic landmarks of England through song.

Comment

Catrin Finch's travels take an adventurous turn as she shows the harp in new territories.

The Harp’s Journey - Catrin Finch
            Episode 3 on May 23 featuring Seckou Keita

Comment

A new four-part series started today on music station BBC Radio 4 called 'A Life in Music' with Jude Rogers. Today she was talking about early life and one of the guests was Femi Kuti talking about life as a boy with his Dad's unorthodox parenting style.
              Journalist Jude Rogers examines how music shapes us from before we are even born.

Comment

Peel's wee son Tom was sitting in for Cerys this morning on BBC Radio 6, and he played some totally terrific world tunes from across the globe.
                Tom Ravenscroft sits in for Cerys and brings you his take on Sunday morning eclectic vibes

Some excellent stuff in there, some of which may well turn up you know where, GT, to let you know.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Peel's wee son Tom was sitting in for Cerys this morning on BBC Radio 6, and he played some totally terrific world tunes from across the globe.
                  Tom Ravenscroft sits in for Cerys and brings you his take on Sunday morning eclectic vibes

Some excellent stuff in there, some of which may well turn up you know where, GT, to let you know.
                  look forward to it.

Comment

Highlight of the BBC's dig through their Glastonbury archives this weekend is a recording of Fela Kuti at Worthy Farm from 1984...well it's the highlight for me anyway.

Comment

Gideon Coe had Robin Denselow on his Thursday night book club on 6 last week. Robin is talking about his updated book taking the story of 60's and 70's English folk music in to the modern era, 'The Electric Muse Revisited'. You can hear Robin in conversation with Gid from about an hour and ten minutes in - some mighty fine tunes in there.
                      Richard Thompson in concert. sessions from Cavern Of Anti Matter, Boss Hog, The Kinks.

Comment

On Radio 4 Extra this afternoon
                        Originally posted by johncorrigan
                        Poetry Extra
                        'Peter Redgrove: Radio Poems - Obeah Oss
                        Poet Peter Redgrove offers a personal view of the extraordinary May Day processions through the streets of Padstow in Cornwall. The poem is illustrated with recordings of the Obby Oss made at the time and rare archive sounds from the BBC vaults.'

Loving the mix!

Comment

Following this morning's news about the death of Peter Corby, inventor of the trouser press, it's been a bit of a Bonzo Dog morning, and I chanced on a very entertaining old programme on 4 extra this afternoon,'Innes Own World', where Neil has a bunch of sketches, and also tells a few anecdotes of the Doo Dah Band along the way too.
                          Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Following this morning's news about the death of Peter Corby, inventor of the trouser press, it's been a bit of a Bonzo Dog morning, and I chanced on a very entertaining old programme on 4 extra this afternoon,'Innes Own World', where Neil has a bunch of sketches, and also tells a few anecdotes of the Doo Dah Band along the way too.
                            https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/b0170r0p
                            Such depressing news (oh, sorry JC we've already done this...but it was a bit of a turnup)

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                              Such depressing news (oh, sorry JC we've already done this...but it was a bit of a turnup)
                              Haha, GT. I'm creasing myself!

Comment

Haha, GT. I'm creasing myself!
                                Bit bored? here's a wrinkle you may not have thought of:

Comment

Working...
                                X