X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
    Bit bored? here's a wrinkle you may not have thought of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZZFiGBX2CA
    Haha! This is boredom you can afford by Cyril Bore!

Comment

Kate Molleson on Breakfast this morning played

Gulistan-E-Nur (the rose garden of light) by Sadie Harrison performed by Zohra, the Afghan Women’s Orchestra (also the only all women ensemble in Afghanistan) and Cuatro Puntos Ensemble.

More here

Comment

I know that there are some within this corner of the forum who enjoy a spot of whistling. Last night on BBC Alba I chanced on the Trusadh strand and got sooked into a programme about whistling and it's various aspects in work, rest and play - it wasn't only interesting, it was a lot of fun too. I always wished I could do a reasonable whistle, but the skill largely passed me by.

Comment

On Radio 4 Extra this morning, Billy Bragg looks at the history of the protest song. I was particularly interested because of the short section which starts the three-hour programme about Hamish Henderson's great ballad 'Freedom Come A' Ye', one of my favourite songs.
          Stories of moments when musicians were inspired to preach, to protest and to perform.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            I know that there are some within this corner of the forum who enjoy a spot of whistling. Last night on BBC Alba I chanced on the Trusadh strand and got sooked into a programme about whistling and it's various aspects in work, rest and play - it wasn't only interesting, it was a lot of fun too. I always wished I could do a reasonable whistle, but the skill largely passed me by.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...eachdwhistling
            I can tolerate it when sheepdogs are involved, and Alba is good for that too, but it drives Ms Stoatfoe mad - the whistling, not Alba; DIY Le Donnie is good watching and interesting for the gàidhlig DIY terms.
            Last edited by EnemyoftheStoat; 06-11-21, 11:10. Reason: Never could spell gàidhlig right first time.

Comment

I came across DIY Le Donnie and in Gaelic it exercised a strange fascination I cannot explain. (I think I was looking for Port). But I don't seek him out.....

Comment

On Radio 4 last night there was a repeat of the ever-excellent Laura Barton's radio documentary on the American singer Karen Dalton whose voice seemed to express heartache like few others have done. Well worth a listen.
                Laura Barton tells the story of Karen Dalton, the folk world's answer to Bille Holliday.

Comment

over on Radio 1 Extra:

Africa 360 with Jihane Bougrine from Morocco (from July). It's for young people.
                  In theory, very encouraging but the Western influence a bit too prevalent in this particular episode; but presumably this is carefully chosen to be representative of what they listen to? If this is representative then the future of popular music is culturally homogenous with a very strong Western influence at its core.
                  Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

On BBC Radio 4 Extra this afternoon a programme called 'Train Tracks' introduced by Simon Townley and with contributions from Laura Cantrell and Richard Rodney Bennett. I love the sound of a train in a tune and there's a good selection here, if only from UK and, mostly, United States. Enjoyable programme.
                    An exploration of the rhythms and themes of the railway train in music.

Comment

Available on Sounds till Friday I notice that Mark Radcliffe's Radio 2 Folk Show did a special a wee bit before Christmas celebrating folk music on TV and film, inspired by the excellent 'Wurzel Gummidge' re-boot that showed on BBC1 over the last couple of months. Mark talks to Wurzel himself, the excellent Mackenzie Crook, as well as Adrian McNally from the Unthanks about the great music that punctuates the show. Some grand tunes in there too, including Iorla from 'Brooklyn'.

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 20-01-22, 10:35.

Comment

Mark talks to Wurzel himself, the excellent Mackenzie Crook, as well as Adrian McNally from the Unthanks about the great music that punctuates the show.
                        As someone who loved 'The Detectorists', I was really interested to hear Mackenzie Crook say that he hadn't been planning a third series of the programme when a colleague of his persuaded him to listen to the Unthanks singing 'Magpie' on Jools Holland. Crook said he had not heard of the Unthanks before then, but as he listened to the song, the whole idea for the third season came into his head. Very glad it did. Here's that performance.
                        Subscribe and 🔔 to the BBC 👉 https://bit.ly/BBCYouTubeSubWatch the BBC first on iPlayer 👉 https://bbc.in/iPlayer-Home See more at http://www.bbc.co.uk/lat...

Comment

Available on Sounds till Friday I notice that Mark Radcliffe's Radio 2 Folk Show did a special a wee bit before Christmas celebrating folk music on TV and film, inspired by the excellent 'Wurzel Gummidge' re-boot that showed on BBC1 over the last couple of months. Mark talks to Wurzel himself, the excellent Mackenzie Crook, as well as Adrian McNally from the Unthanks about the great music that punctuates the show. Some grand tunes in there too, including Iorla from 'Brooklyn'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0012pvd
                          A very worthwhile listen (no longer available though). Thanks for the post. I was also interested to hear Mackenzie Crook will be playing in Jerusalem. Mrs CS heard how good the play was, but only days before the end of its run (when Mark Rylance was in the cast). I recall trying the Apollo theatre box office in person a couple of times in the final week, with no luck. This time, we can get to go and see it, and this versatile player.......... (and Mark Rylance....., and not least, the play!).

Comment

Elsewhere on the Forum, kernelbogey suggested listening to 'Music That Survived the Nazis', a two-parter on the BBC World Service. So moving to hear those voices from the thirties and forties. Here's Dora Gerson who was captured trying to flee Amsterdam, and taken to be murdered with the rest of her family in Auschwitz. Listening to her singing 'Vorbei' left me with the feeling that she was almost foreseeing her death.
                            YIDDISH MASTERPIECE RECORDED IN PRE WAR NAZI BERLIN and issued in monumental box set of the same name by BEAR FAMILY (11 cds, 1 dvd, a real masterpiece of em...

Comment

And, right after Music Planet, Natasha Atlas live in concert on J2Z. Worth a listen…

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                                And, right after Music Planet, Natasha Atlas live in concert on J2Z. Worth a listen…
                                Full of energy and vivacity - some of the "usual suspects" will be tuning in, I think. Near-eastern modes are being well represented on today's Jay to Zee.

Comment

Working...
                                X