Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yesterday morning on Cerys Matthews, BBC Radio 3's own Kate Molleson was a guest talking about her new book, 'Sound Within Sound'. In the process they played the classic 'Homesickness' by Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou and Kate talked about meeting her in Jerusalem a number of years ago.
    She sang for Haile Selassie but later retreated from the world, living barefoot in a hilltop monastery, perfecting her bluesy, freewheeling sound. Kate Molleson on The Honky Tonk Nun, her documentary about Emahoy Tsegué-Maryam Guèbrou

Apparently she was still writing music but Kate said that Sister Guèbrou also had recordings of herself singing from the sixties and seventies which she wanted to be able to put together and release. Kate said that she had never heard her sing and she and Cerys agreed it would be a terrific thing to hear.

Comment

I've got a feeling that it was Kate Molleson who 'discovered' her and introduced her to the UK audience.
      I'm sure someone will correct me if this is wrong - always interested to know more about Emahoy T-M G.

Comment

Hannah French played a traditonal Greek song Thalassa Lypisou today.

I can't actually find out much more than that.
        I think it was this version by L'Arpeggiata, with lead vocals by Christina Pluhar & Katerina Papadopoulou

Provided to YouTube by Warner ClassicsThalassa lypisou · Christina Pluhar · L'Arpeggiata · Katerina PapadopoulouMediterraneo℗ 2012 Christina Pluhar under exc...

She also played the oblivion tango by Astor Piazzolla

no, JC, me and Mrs Gt were not strutting around the kitchen to this (tad too early)

Great to hear a bit of variety on Breakfast.
        Is that the quota for the week I wonder?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          Hannah French played a traditonal Greek song Thalassa Lypisou today.

I can't actually find out much more than that.
          I think it was this version by L'Arpeggiata, with lead vocals by Christina Pluhar & Katerina Papadopoulou

Provided to YouTube by Warner ClassicsThalassa lypisou · Christina Pluhar · L'Arpeggiata · Katerina PapadopoulouMediterraneo℗ 2012 Christina Pluhar under exc...

She also played the oblivion tango by Astor Piazzolla

no, JC, me and Mrs Gt were not strutting around the kitchen to this (tad too early)

Great to hear a bit of variety on Breakfast.
          Is that the quota for the week I wonder?
          I'm not always the greatest fan of dance, GT, but that was bloody marvellous.

Comment

It's always there on Sounds but nice being reminded from time to time, like this week's subject of 'Great Lives' is Alan Lomax, championed by Shirley Collins and Billy Bragg.
            Last edited by johncorrigan; 15-09-22, 18:39.

Comment

Got a lovely surprise today when I switched on BBC RADIO NAN GÀIDHEAL. Immediately recognised the dulcets of Mary Ann Kennedy presenting a programme of Celtic music - seems to have been on for a wee while, though on further examination this episode first aired in 2019. Nonetheless, lovely to hear Mary Ann and there were some nice tunes in there. As far as I can gather there are no subtitles available.
              Mairi Anna NicUalraig agus Seàn O hEanaigh le ceòl à Alba 's Èirinn.

Comment

Promoting their UK tour Ladysmith Black Mambazo will be on In Tune today at 17.00
                First tour wihout Joseph …

Comment

A couple of Afrobeats related programmes on BBC4 this evening - one from 'Inside Classical' - BBC 1 extra's Afrobeats Concerto.

Then a little later a re-run of the Arena programme about Fela Kuti from a couple of years ago.
                  The story of Nigerian musician Fela Kuti, who created a sound for a continent - Afrobeat.

Comment

This from yesterday morning on Radio 4 looked interesting - I hadn't heard the earlier episode. Michael Morpurgo certainly seems to know what he's talking about.

Comment

Well, Late Junction with Tom Allen in the chair was a refreshing change.

I hope they invite him back.

This one shook the dust off the rafters...good Saharan blues rattling along.

Alkiba jnr playing Adouna

Provided to YouTube by BWSCD IncAdouna · Alkibar Gignor · Alkibar JrMusic from Saharan WhatsApp℗ 2022 Sahel SoundsReleased on: 2022-06-10Main Artist: Alkiba...

Here's another by Alkiba, acoustic this time:
                      Hommage À Ali Farka Touré

Provided to YouTube by BWSCD, Inc.Hommage À Ali Farka Touré · Alkibar GignorIshilan N-Tenere℗ 2010 Sahel SoundsReleased on: 2010-12-13Auto-generated by YouTube.

Comment

On 'Soul Music' this afternoon on BBC Radio 4, an exploration of 'The Parting Glass' with the wonderful Karine Polwart very much centre stage.

I'd forgotten how much I love her version of the song - must dig out the CD. I've probably told this before, but the first time I heard this song I was on a training course. Some folks had come from the US to deliver the sessions and on the last afternoon a woman, originally from Northern Ireland, stood up after lunch and said that tradition dictated that this song should be sung. The thing about her was that she had the most pronounced stammer...indeed she was struggling to introduce the piece and I looked round the others at the session and people were looking thoroughly uncomfortable about what she might do next. Suddenly she started singing and her voice soared and was unbelievably beautiful with not hint of any issue. Everyone was floored, the Americans were in tears at the emotion...indeed I shed a wee tear myself.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                          On 'Soul Music' this afternoon on BBC Radio 4, an exploration of 'The Parting Glass' with the wonderful Karine Polwart very much centre stage.

I'd forgotten how much I love her version of the song - must dig out the CD. I've probably told this before, but the first time I heard this song I was on a training course. Some folks had come from the US to deliver the sessions and on the last afternoon a woman, originally from Northern Ireland, stood up after lunch and said that tradition dictated that this song should be sung. The thing about her was that she had the most pronounced stammer...indeed she was struggling to introduce the piece and I looked round the others at the session and people were looking thoroughly uncomfortable about what she might do next. Suddenly she started singing and her voice soared and was unbelievably beautiful with not hint of any issue. Everyone was floored, the Americans were in tears at the emotion...indeed I shed a wee tear myself.
                          Yes you have, don't ever let that stop you...worth re-telling.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                            Yes you have, don't ever let that stop you...worth re-telling.

Comment

On BBC4 this evening they are showing Phil Cunningham's 'Wayfaring Stranger' and a couple of old 'Transatlantic Sessions'. Sounds good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                On BBC4 this evening they are showing Phil Cunningham's 'Wayfaring Stranger' and a couple of old 'Transatlantic Sessions'. Sounds good to me.
                                thanks for the heads up, will try catch it
                                Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Working...
                                X