No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JasonPalmer View Post
    thanks for the heads up, will try catch it
    'Wayfaring Strangers' was a really interesting and enjoyable series, Jason, and Phil an extremely good guide.

Comment

Portuguese Fado singer, Ana Moura, is a guest with Cerys on 6 this morning.

Comment

Andrew McGibbon has been presenting a series of programmes on BBC Radio 4 about songs that have travelled down the years. This week's episode takes us back and forth across the Pond exploring the history of 'House of the Rising Sun'. Very interesting.
        Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Thanks for that,looks really interesting. I realised when I lived in Dublin how their rich musical heritage travelled to America and fused with other influences.
          Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            'Wayfaring Strangers' was a really interesting and enjoyable series, Jason, and Phil an extremely good guide.
            Enjoyed episode one and just did a search on iplayer, other episodes available. Will try watch them soon.

Comment

Thanks for that,looks really interesting. I realised when I lived in Dublin how their rich musical heritage travelled to America and fused with other influences.
              The other two programmes in the series on Radio 4 concerned 'My Funny Valentine' and 'Plaisir D'Amour', Jason.

Comment

Thanks, will try catch them sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  Andrew McGibbon has been presenting a series of programmes on BBC Radio 4 about songs that have travelled down the years. This week's episode takes us back and forth across the Pond exploring the history of 'House of the Rising Sun'. Very interesting.
                  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001hwws
                  also came on here to post that link.
                  Strong points made about writing music down to preserve it and that the music is more important than the collector (in this case Alan Lomax).
                  Pretty much agreed that the Animals arrangement is the boss. Liked the [unconnected] English version he started with, and also noted that the victim had changed from female to male somewhere along the line.
                  Definitely worth a listen.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    also came on here to post that link.
                    Strong points made about writing music down to preserve it and that the music is more important than the collector (in this case Alan Lomax).
                    I think Alan Lomax would have agreed about that too, G.

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                    Pretty much agreed that the Animals arrangement is the boss. Liked the [unconnected] English version he started with, and also noted that the victim had changed from female to male somewhere along the line.
                    Definitely worth a listen.
                    That ancient piece of music, with its composer was fascinating. But no doubt, the Animals made the song into something else.

On a slightly connected note, I have found myself back at Harry Smith's 'Anthology of American Folk Music' again this week. Many people would suggest that the influence of this anthology, issued in 1952, has been pivotal in folk music development in the West. In the process I found this recent article about the Anthology and Harry Smith on Pitchfork - great article, written by Grayson Haver Curran, someone clearly enthusiastic about the work.

Comment

Watched episode 2 of wayfarer, never knew the banjo came from an African instrument. Very interesting program, especially about how singing books were best sellers and how country music boomed because of huge record sales. Looking forward to the third episode when I can squeeze it in to my schedule.

Comment

Watched episode 2 of wayfarer, never knew the banjo came from an African instrument. Very interesting program, especially about how singing books were best sellers and how country music boomed because of huge record sales. Looking forward to the third episode when I can squeeze it in to my schedule.
                        A wee bit on the Ngoni, Jason, reckoned to be the ancestor of the banjo.

Comment

Thanks, very interesting. Watched episode 3, all good. I can see why woody Guthrie and bob Dylan hits, clear singing above the music.

Comment

Senegal's Baaba Maal is on 'The First Time With...' this afternoon on BBC Radio 6 Music at 1pm this afternoon.
                            Matt Everitt is joined by the legendary Senegalese musician Baaba Maal.

Comment

This evening on music-loving BBC Radio 3 finds the wonderful Rhiannon Giddens presenting 'Government Song Woman' in the Sunday Feature string. In the programme Giddens explores the life of folk song collector, Sidney Robertson Cowell.
                              Rhiannon Giddens investigates folk song collector Sidney Robertson Cowell.

Rhiannon Giddens presented a series of programmes on Radio 4 last year and they were excellent, so I will certainly be tuning in for this one.

Comment

So that's what Chris Wood is up to.... (34 minutes in)

and he's on tour...

Chris Wood's style of English folk appeals to a wide and varied audience. He has converted many an anti-folk fan with his blend of traditional and
                                Last edited by Globaltruth; 11-03-23, 14:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X