Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I posted this elsewhere, but thought I would let any Karine Polwart aficionados know about the lovely programme, 'Seek the Light', that aired on Radio 4 this past weekend. She visits the Isle of May in the Firth of Forth to find out about the Arctic Tern - the Sea Swallow - Karine is accompanied on a few pieces by pianist Dave Milligan who was with her on her last record. There's a great bit of Karine investigating the acoustics of the Stevenson lighthouse on the Island.
    Musician Karine Polwart weaves together stories of science, history and the theme of light

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
      I posted this elsewhere, but thought I would let any Karine Polwart aficionados know about the lovely programme, 'Seek the Light', that aired on Radio 4 this past weekend. She visits the Isle of May in the Firth of Forth to find out about the Arctic Tern - the Sea Swallow - Karine is accompanied on a few pieces by pianist Dave Milligan who was with her on her last record. There's a great bit of Karine investigating the acoustics of the Stevenson lighthouse on the Island.
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001q679
      Thanks for the nudge, jc. We were away this weekend and I have just listened. Karine Polwart is one of our favourite singers. We have a couple of albums and saw her at Swindon Arts Centre in 2006. She is a vivid communicator and enjoyed talking between songs. I remember her mentioning her slightly unusual surname, commenting that it was an anagram of Paltrow.

Comment

Paul Simon is Radcliffe's guest on BBC Radio 2's 'Folk Show' this evening. Apparently Paul's talking about his new record, and I imagine mention will be made of his recent posts about his hearing-loss.

Heads up early, but I notice that next week's guest is our favourite, the mighty Martin Hayes.

Comment

Heads up early, but I notice that next week's guest is our favourite, the mighty Martin Hayes.
          ...and ahead of that he was a guest on Cerys on Radio 6 this morning. Martin's got a few dates in the diary, though sadly none north of the border.

Comment

Very remiss not to have posted this earlier.
            on BBCr3 - African Classical music - 3 one hour episodes made by the excellent Tunde Jegede and produced by Reduced Listening (who do LJ).

Two episodes available so far.

Composer and multi-instrumentalist Tunde Jegede grew up inside two musical traditions: the Western Classical music of his cello studies and schooling in London; and the kora repertoire of The Gambia, where he spent his school holidays as a young mentee of the griot musician Amadu Bansang Jobarteh. As his musicianship in the UK developed, Jegede began to find it strange how the music of western composers was so easily considered to be art music worthy of the title “Classical”, while African pieces were often talked about as culturally-confined curiosities, regardless of how complex or canonical they are. In this series, Jegede sets out to celebrate a variety of African Classical traditions on their own terms, picking out musical details and offering connections and contrasts. In this first episode, he explores the instrumental legacies of West African Griot music as well as thumb piano polyphony from Zimbabwe. Plus there's the opportunity to consider the work of African composers operating within Western Classical Music who incorporate into their solo studies and chamber works the sounds, structures and approaches of their own African classical traditions

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Cellist, kora player and composer Tunde Jegede continues his celebration of the classical musics of Africa, focusing on a variety of vocal traditions from across the continent. From the Senegalese Sufi incantations of Ida Faye to the trance-inducing Gnawa music of Morocco’s Mahmoud Guinia, Jegede considers how the use of musical devices like repetition and subtle variation help to serve the spiritual purpose of the singers. “The voice is really the first instrument and it carries so much of a people and culture’s identity, memory and spirit. It bridges from the sacred to the secular and in many societies holds the thread of nationhood.” ~ Tunde Jegede

Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Thanks, GT. I listened to the first of these this afternoon - really enjoyed it. Tunde Jegede was a terrific guide.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                Very remiss not to have posted this earlier.
                on BBCr3 - African Classical music - 3 one hour episodes made by the excellent Tunde Jegede and produced by Reduced Listening (who do LJ).
                Terrific series, Global. Loved all three shows - interesting, informative and entertaining...can't beat that!

Comment

Be good if there were more like this...

Comment

Be good if there were more like this...
                    You find me in total agreement with you on this, Global.
                    Just been catching up with Stuart Maconie's Harvest Special Freakzone from a couple of weeks ago. Lots to enjoy in there.

Comment

You might need to keep the babel fish in this Sunday as Iggy Popp has Tom Waits co-hosting with him on Radio 6 Music in his afternoon confidential show. Not often we hear from TW.

Comment

You might need to keep the babel fish in this Sunday as Iggy Popp has Tom Waits co-hosting with him on Radio 6 Music in his afternoon confidential show. Not often we hear from TW.
                        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001st7l
                        Worth the licence fee hearing those old grizzlies sharing their stories, and musical loves, this afternoon. Such great radio!

Comment

A bit late but I caught up with Elizabeth Alker's exploration of the South Yorkshire Carol tradition in last week's 'Sunday Feature' and found it very interesting and enjoyable though I could have done without Kate Rusby's contribution which I didn't feel added anything to the story. However, the contribution from Pennsylvania was very interesting indeed.
                          Last edited by johncorrigan; 30-12-23, 12:46.

Comment

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesMopti Street · Ensemble Bash · Madeleine Mitchell · Simon LimbrickFiddlesticks℗ 2007 Signum RecordsReleased on:...

this was on Essential Classics this morning, a track called
                            Mopti Street by Ensemble Bash · Madeleine Mitchell · Simon Limbrick

Caught my ear as it was a bit atypical. Here's a review from Signum Records:

Complex rhythms from the Ensemble Bash who use rhythms of West African drumming as the core of their playing, combined with Madeleine’s interweaving lines often catch the listener in a moment of surprise.
                            Well quite.

Comment

BBC One broadcast 27th December 2023At the Repair Shop, the team resurrect a piece of kit from the 1970s owned by a pioneering music producer.First through t...

A real surprise in this edition of The Repair Shop - Series 12, Ep. 12

Neal Fraser, aka The Mad Professor, appeared through the doors with an original Mu-Tron BiPhaser machine that he used in his dub work with Lee Scratch Perry (LDP) in the 80's. They manage to repair it! Some great moments - for example when Jay Blades realises he's talking to the actual Mad Professor and also the BBC's attempts to match suitable music to the clip. I didn't catch the name of the second guy that Mark bought in. A real whizz who was totally unphased (sorry) by the challenge.

For background here is Mad Professor talking about effects - specifically phasers & LSP at 5.40m
                              Mad Professor talks about the different dub effects from spring reverb to tape delay to digital - Ariwa Studio, January 2015On tour with Prince Fatty this Ap...

But really we need a track by LSP and the Mad Professor with the Phaser in action from the 80s....

tbc
                              An intriguing 1970s electronic sound effect machine causes a commotion at the barn.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWTRLIVPxOM

A real surprise in this edition of The Repair Shop - Series 12, Ep. 12

Neal Fraser, aka The Mad Professor, appeared through the doors with an original Mu-Tron BiPhaser machine that he used in his dub work with Lee Scratch Perry (LDP) in the 80's. They manage to repair it! Some great moments - for example when Jay Blades realises he's talking to the actual Mad Professor and also the BBC's attempts to match suitable music to the clip. I didn't catch the name of the second guy that Mark bought in. A real whizz who was totally unphased (sorry) by the challenge.

For background here is Mad Professor talking about effects - specifically phasers & LSP at 5.40m
                                Mad Professor talks about the different dub effects from spring reverb to tape delay to digital - Ariwa Studio, January 2015On tour with Prince Fatty this Ap...

But really we need a track by LSP and the Mad Professor with the Phaser in action from the 80s....

tbc
                                Here's a track from 2015

Provided to YouTube by The Orchard EnterprisesTrue Meaning of Dub, Pt.1 · Lee Scratch Perry · Mad Professor · The RobotiksBlack Ark Classics in Dub℗ 2015 Ari...

Dub versions of Black Ark classics - Lee Scratch Perry, Mad Professor and The Robotiks.
                                Plenty phasering about the whole album.
                                Closest I can find. I'd like something from the 80's but this will do for the time being...

Comment

Working...
                                X