Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much of a mixture to tempt me
    Met T A once, some time ago for some reason or other.
    Lovely man, memorably soft hands and willing to be more than generous with his spirit.
    Which he'd got in a handy bottle.

--
    I wonder if mopping the kitchen floor will have the same effect on my hands in time ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      I wonder if mopping the kitchen floor will have the same effect on my hands in time ?
      Not in my experience Paul!.....but always steer clear of the Marigolds - poor fashion accessory in my opinion.

Comment

TODAY at 10, on r6...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016k3dz

Cerys's guest is Jerry Dammers, his latest work being...

'
        'Cosmic Engineering: A tribute to Sun Ra and other mystic mavericks. Featuring some of the UK's finest jazz musicians and his 18-piece orchestra he pays tribute to the cosmic jazz of Sun Ra and Alice Coltrane by mingling their sounds with those of dub innovator Coxsone Dodd and others'

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          TODAY at 10, on r6...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b016k3dz

Cerys's guest is Jerry Dammers, his latest work being...

'
          Jerry doesn't interview well, although his heart and soul are most defnitely in the right place. His music was a bit disappointing too - a rework of Ghost Town doesn't cut it as a tribute to Sun Ra in my book. And he should have switched his phone off the first time. You wouldn't get that on Late Junction - mainly because it is pre-recorded.

Overall not a bad show though - take a bow MR S.Creeper Playlist. [I counted 3]

Comment

I popped over to 94.9 FM at 1.30pm this afternoon. Robert Elms had three very good items on his programme. At 1.34 minutes in, Matthew Sweet discussing his book "The West End Front - The Wartime Secrets of London's Grand Hotels". An absolutely fascinating glimpse into a little known aspect of London's history plus Peter's new studio version of "Solsbury Hill". Then, a short phone-in discussion of some considerable quality about "Strawberry Letter 23". Which version was best - the one by Shuggie Otis or the Brothers Johnson? After that, an inteview with Seasick Steve. Highly recommended.

At 3pm, Danny Baker took over. There was a forensic examination of songs which begin with a question. Does the pause after "Hey" before "Did you happen to see" in Charlie Rich's "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" exclude it from this category? What of "Question" by the Moody Blues? On another issue, Danny claims that Therapy? is the only band which has ever had a question mark at the end of its name but is he right? Plus is "Pulling Mussels (From The Shell)" the only song ever to have reached the chart where all of the band go straight in at the start of the record? Fascinating stuff!

Last edited by Guest; 03-11-11, 22:08.

Comment

Sunday 4th Dec

Courtesy of info from ff....this is upcoming

"World Routes: Womex 2011 Highlights
              World Routes presents more highlights from Womex, the annual gathering of the world music industry showcasing the newest bands and freshest talent in world music, taking place this year in Copenhagen.
              Lopa Kothari introduces specially-recorded performances by the Mairtin O'Connor Band from Ireland , the flamboyant Orquesta Tipica Fernandez Fierro from Argentina, and the Pakistani Qawaali party led by Asif Ali Khan.

Listeners can also hear a session by the master Iranian percussionist Mohammad Reza Mortazavi.

Presenter:Head Girl, Producer/James Parkin"
              Hmm - sometimes I wonder about WOMEX and its value...although Eliza Carthy was there this year ('England produces World Music shock'), and doesn't seem to be featured here.
              Last edited by Globaltruth; 10-11-11, 15:30.

Comment

Friday 9 December

Wo3:

Lopa Kothari presents tracks from across the globe, with a raga performance by young UK sitar virtuoso Roopa Panesar.
                Roopa Panesar grew up in Leicester and is a pupil of the renowned teacher Dharambir Singh. She is acclaimed as one of the UK's leading Indian classical performers and recently contributed to the soundtrack for the film West is West.

This performance of Raga Puriya, accompanied by renowned percussionist Sukhwinder Singh, was recorded at this year's Darbar Festival in London.

Kind of show Lopa does well (said & genuinely meant in a non-patronising way - she usually does; don't know if it is a comfort thing)
                Last edited by Globaltruth; 10-11-11, 15:29.

Comment

Monday 21 Nov.

Now here's one I would have missed if it hadn't been for this snazzy website, and which falls into our crazed and muddy bailiwick

The Essay – Earth Music Bristol
                  This week’s five essays are inspired by the musical content of the first Earth Music Bristol festival.
                  In today’s essay, The Glee Instinct, nature writer Richard Mabey reflects on the compulsion of so many organisms, from humans to cicadas, not just to sing, but to sing together - rowdily, competitively, harmoniously.

On Tuesday, Tim Birkhead’s essay Birdsong explores how birds learn to sing. Tim is a Professor at the University of Sheffield, a fellow of the Royal Society and author of The Wisdom Of Birds.

In Wednesday’s essay, Cathedral Of Sound, Nathalie Seddon journeys through the luxuriant soundscapes of a tropical rainforest, Nathalie is a Royal Society research fellow at the University of Oxford where she works on the evolutionary ecology, diversification and conservation of tropical birds.

On Thursday, bird song sound recordist Geoff Sample’s essay, Symphonic Impressions, explores how evolutionary influences, shaping the structure of birds' songs and singing behaviour, may have resulted in this impression of symphony in our minds.

In the final essay on Friday, Woof And Tweet, poet and writer Paul Farley explores the overlaps and connections between an enthusiasm for reggae and dub music and the song of the bittern and other big bass stars of the bird world.

Presenters/Richard Mabey, Tim Birkhead, Nathalie Seddon, Geoff Sample and Paul Farley, Producer/Tim Dee for the BBC
                  I love the very idea of an enthusiasm for dub and the song of the bittern. Because so many brothers of the King of Zion, Ras Tafari, are also keen birdwatchers, hanging out in the marshes for a desultory boom from a bittern or two (yes, JC -twice bittern).

Note to self : listen; turn up bass.

By the way, I've been to that there Media Centre a few times - there are a few things about it which make me chuckle...one of which is the plaque in reception which proudly states it was opened by Jonathan Ross. Say.no.more.

Comment

Another useful site...

http://www.nonesuch.com/on-tour

Occasionally people appear in England.

Even more occasionally they appear out of London.

Steve Reich sold out...

Comment

Whoa - loads of stuff to read.

I am now on strong painkillers following trips to dentist and doctor today. Just the follow up call from the doctor, the return visit to the dentist and the syringe nurse to go.

Ruled out tooth infection, ear infection, throat infection. Looks like a major build up of cerumen in the canal and particularly a resurgence of the old temporomandibular syndrome.

What with the codeine tablets, the lavender oil for the pillow and ergonomics on the workstation, I hope not to have a second night of pain in my face to make me writhe like I've been possessed by the devil.

Then it's all set for the mouthguard meeting tomorrow.

I hope to continue to make sane, constructive and relevant contributions.
                      Last edited by Guest; 10-11-11, 17:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                        Whoa - loads of stuff to read.

I am now on strong painkillers following trips to dentist and doctor today. Just the follow up call from the doctor, the return visit to the dentist and the syringe nurse to go.

Ruled out tooth infection, ear infection, throat infection. Looks like a major build up of cerumen in the canal and particularly a resurgence of the old temporomandibular syndrome.

What with the codeine tablets, the lavender oil for the pillow and ergonomics on the workstation, I hope not to have a second night of pain in my face to make me writhe like I've been possessed by the devil.

Then it's all set for the mouthguard meeting tomorrow.

I hope to continue to make sane, constructive and relevant contributions.
                        - get a few drams in you Lat! Wishing you well quick!

Comment

Not that many films...

This isn't on the schedule anywhere currently - shame. But hey -

There aren't that many Elvis-themed films which have the following all acting in them are there?
                          Rufus Thomas
                          Screamin Jay Hawkins
                          Tom Waits
                          Joe Strummer

Plus a great Americana sound track.

I only know of the one
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrWCH7q7WS8

Been meaning to watch it since it came out in 1989, finally made it last night.
                          Recommended

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post

Been meaning to watch it since it came out in 1989, finally made it last night.
                            Recommended
                            Thanks for the reminder, G. There was a time when you didn't want to miss his films - I love this one, the concept as well as the execution - had it on Vid, now sadly defunct. It's a bit sweary, but wonderfully bluesy/jazzy. Think it's time for a Jarmusch retrospective.

Comment

Yes, the film's a good 'un. Well it had to be as it was on at the excellent Stoke Film Theatre when it first came out, way back then.
                              I think it was on the telly quite recently. I do believe that I have the soundtrack somewhere on a big piece of vinyl.
                              If you listen to that barking Screaming Jay's records he sounds like a frustrated opera singer - which makes his some of his recordings
                              all the more fun, imo.

Film tip for today :

' Whisky '

Trail: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYuPj...eature=related

Comment

Yes I would like to see it. That was an odd era for Strummer, between the Clash and the Mescaleros. He had composed the soundtrack to "Walker" which is not a bad record. There was also the pretty awful "Earthquake Weather". A friend said to me some years later "I read that it sold 200 copies on vinyl. You have a copy and I have a copy. I wonder who the other 198 are". I have always assumed he was joking but have never been able to find out the truth of it.

Thanks for the good wishes JC. Now that I am dosed up to the eyeballs, the TMJ isn't as painful, if that is what it turns out to be. At times it has been excruciating and while I have had it bad in the past, it has been reminiscent of the time I had a dental abscess. The worst pain I have ever had - literally thought I was going mad and unable to sit still - far worse than the three times I have been knocked down by a vehicle (one bike, one van and one bus). I go in for a mouth guard mould this afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X