Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Readers will know if this is their kind of thing or not.....Monday night's Paul Jones programme on Radio 2 was an hour devoted to interviewing Steve Cropper. All of the chat and most of the music was excellent. Find of the programme for me was the Joe Louis Walker track.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
      Readers will know if this is their kind of thing or not.....Monday night's Paul Jones programme on Radio 2 was an hour devoted to interviewing Steve Cropper. All of the chat and most of the music was excellent. Find of the programme for me was the Joe Louis Walker track.
      I only catch this show occasionally zola - it should be right up my street but it's an example, like R2's Folk Programme, of a show that needs a bit of a facelift (Cautionary note to self - be careful what you wish for). I like Paul Jones fine and he's always enthusiastic and pretty knowledgeable but I don't find myself racing there every Monday. Tend to catch it if I'm in the car at that time - like the Mike Harding effort really.

Comment

Originally posted by zola View Post
        Find of the programme for me was the Joe Louis Walker track.
        Saw him live at Blind Willies' Blues bar in downtown Atlanta a few years ago (I was working in Atlanta at the time) - memorable, also one of the longest sets I've ever been to, a very energetic and accomplished performer, only occasional breaks for refuelling....Probably the most enjoyable evening we had whilst over there.

So thanks for the post, as I haven't listened to any of his stuff for ages.
        Last edited by Globaltruth; 23-11-11, 14:54.

Comment

You were working in Blind Willie's ?
          And oddly ( hola, zola ! ) Joe Louis Walker hadn't blipped my radar in years - I remember being impressed by him for
          some reason - which is rare for me with newer blues people - The Gift is the song I seem to recall.
          And talking of years - it's plenty of those since I could sit through a R2 programme - P Jones is ok but why do they
          have be broadcasting every week ???? I caught a bit the other day when the OH let me go and get her petrol - they still have
          those pub blues bands doing sessions ????? !! Must be something to do with satisfying a quota.

http://www.badgeplanet.co.uk/badges_...en-BP0223c.jpg I just need the t-shirt

Booze, Blues and Cajun Food

PS
          Steve Cropper played a local civic hall - Nantwich a couple of months back.
          I didn't know that !!
          Last edited by Guest; 23-11-11, 14:01.

Comment

I agree with John's assessment of the Jones and Harding programmes. Am only an occasional listener if the advertised guest has some special appeal.

Meanwhile, glancing around next week's schedules throws up at 1345 every afternoon on Radio 4 for all of 15 minutes each day, Joan Armatrading: More Guitar Favourites. Interviewed favourties are Alex Kapranos of Franz Ferdinand, classical guitarist Sharon Isbin, Richard Thompson ( absurdly STILL billed as ex-Fairport Convention ), Jennifer Batten session guitarist and Baaba Maal.

Comment

Another for Global's ' There are NO coincidences box ' :

Just having a session of clearing out cds / ipodin' tracks and the next in the endless pile was ' People Get Ready - A Tribute To Curtis Mayfield ' ( Shanachie )
              Track 10 : Lani Groves & Steve Cropper
              And it's rather good !

Comment

Apropos of nothing whatsoever ...I'm so glad there aren't any politicians of any party who present World Music programmes.

Although I do have a sneaking liking for comfortable old Ken - behind that lumpy frame lurks a cool jazzman apparently...

Comment

Ken's programmes are quite good. I prefer him in that role. "People Get Ready" - I love that song.

Comment

Originally posted by Lateralthinking1 View Post
                    Ken's programmes are quite good. I prefer him in that role. "People Get Ready" - I love that song.
                    ....and pretty good at the history too, donchathink? He's just an all round poly moth flitting from one light to amother.
                    Landmark Kenneth Clark documentary series from 1969 to help boost profile of BBC HD channel. By John Plunkett

I seem to remember that he was also played a mean bass sax.
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI4ekBi5Hhc ( ok not on this one!)

Comment

The Afrobeat revolutionary...the name can never die

Don't miss...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b017gwgb

Part 2 here...
                      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017gwg4

but too short...

Now, how do I get those BBC people to consider a similar programme about ሙላቱ አስታጥቄ aka Mulatu Astatke?
                      Last edited by Globaltruth; 27-11-11, 16:43. Reason: Ken Clark & Fela Kuti in adjacent posts? World gone wrong..

Comment

Thanks GT. He was better before he did the diaries. Doesn't Del look young in that clip whereas Steve Eric Punt-Idle doesn't age at all. The Afrobeat programmes are essential listening. Perhaps time I switched a radio on.

Comment

Then you may also like to give this a listen....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b017gzxz

Retro indeed.

I didn't know Fela Kuti had done any diaries?

Comment

Thanks....Fela didn't write any diaries to my knowledge. It was one of his sons.

Comment

Another set of upcoming shows on r6

This time 3 shows about Robert Johnson.
                              Given that

* there is a known, limited body of work,
                              * that the people influenced by him are also clearly known
                              * the hoary old legends about the crossroads, the devil and the poison whisky have been done to death,

I'm wondering if they will actually be able to find anything new to say, or will it just be lazy recycling?

I'd be very interested in a show investigating these 2 areas:

1 His inspiration for his lyrics - compared to a lot of other blues musicians of that precise era he was very imaginative. Maybe he was just very imaginative. Or were their influences?

2 A retelling of this story from 2008 - fascinating example of the power of the internet and elderly white men's obsessive interest in da blues.
                              http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/fe.../johnson200811

anyway...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b017...sodes/upcoming

Comment

Shedmusic

Here's another show to turn too when r3 doesn't help on the WM front.

http://www.markcolesmusic.com/Portfolio.php

Mark Coles - he's a bit too bright and breezy in a sub-Peel way for my miserable tastes, but does play the odd good track and the shows are well thought out.

And I do think he does deserve some support for going on its own since the World Service disastrously axed, er World Music.

Comment

Working...
                                X