Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Paul, look who nice Cerys played three or four in this morning - have you been cavorting around with her?

strangely following our brief R2 conversations I noticed she was sitting in for Dreadful O'Leary yesterday and thought I'd take a look to see if she was playing gems from the Secret Museum of Mankind, a bit of Fatoumata, maybe some Unthanks or some Fela - but no, usual R2 fare - rather disappointed - I mean nothing wrong with Marvin or Johnny or Martha, but nothing to get the Saturday afternoon listeners dreaming of Saturday night.

Comment

Only ' from a distance ' John ! Started late last year with a note, out of the blue, from your open-eared, sunday morning date.
      Atahualpa was one result and I believe it was Baby Huey today, as my niece, Al, has already let me know! - Al gets sent spotties
      and she adored Baby - so much so she played him , via her clever-phone, on the PA at the London cinema she helps out at.
      Hope there'll be more on in the coming months - you'll recognise 'em though ! ( whatever ... )

Comment

This is how Microsoft closed their CEO's keynote speech at the Consumer Electronic Show (CES) in Las Vegas...now what was that old saying about 'if they sang a shopping list it would sound good'???

Comment

But Global, Have you read any good telephone books, lately ? If you haven't, let me recommend one ...

Comment

the programme about MacColl's Critics Group.

twas a great piece of radio lateralthinking1!

Comment

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
              the programme about MacColl's Critics Group.

twas a great piece of radio lateralthinking1!
              I thought so too - although he was a right old pain in the arse wasn't he?

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
              But Global, Have you read any good telephone books, lately ? If you haven't, let me recommend one ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9hpuDg4MtE
              I've not read the Tulsa one, but I did spend a bit of time with the Atlanta one....sadly no-one wrote a song about that though.Thanks PS.

Comment

Apologies if this has been been brought to the board's attention previously
                World Routes attempt at chart domination

Actually it will be mildly interesting to see if it makes an impact on the DJ spinning chart that Max
                contributes to ...

And talking of World Routes, anyone else going to this year's World Routes Academy do at the Radio Theatre on the 27th of this month ?

Comment

but globaltruth, behind so many creative movements you'll invariably find a right old pain in the arse !

having a ball by the looks:

all the same, great to hear from peggy seeger, especially on the possibility that the group was wrongly named; and that initially at least, mc coll had the very best of intentions for everyone. all deeply unfashionable nowadays perhaps....but arguably what new equivalent movements do we have now? and, are they properly criticised? or critical themselves at all ....? never mind strictly/literally/etc .......as mc coll's approach illustrated. so, a really intriguing retrospective in this specific respect imv.

great to hear roberta flack singing mc coll's hit tune too ....but it's possibly 'too magnificent and glamorous' as versions go, and besides, it was written with peggy in mind, even if peggy does hurry through it in comparison!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg6hL...eature=related

Comment

Apologies if this has been been brought to the board's attention previously
                    World Routes attempt at chart domination

Actually it will be mildly interesting to see if it makes an impact on the DJ spinning chart that Max
                    contributes to ...
                    Only bought to the boards attention by the fact that a track from it was played on the most recent World Routes in their usual modest way (Sambiasy & Samba — Soloho Mahavelo). And note that this board still has a link on their main page

No, I'm not planning to go on the 27th...in fact the link to it from the World Routes site is duff so I haven't a clue who is the lucky recipient.

And according to this http://www.bbc.co.uk/showsandtours/ it is now fully booked

Interviews, documentary material, recordings and music from World Routes's Academy scheme

Comment

Haven't seen the link Global, but this is the winner
                      If you don't want to know the result, look away now

Comment

Haven't seen the link Global, but this is the winner
                        If you don't want to know the result, look away now

I thought they split up years ago, but I think they'll be great

Comment

Eck Salmond, Global ! Haven't heard that fab tune in years - it was probably one of the first things I copied off radio on
                          to a cassette compilation ... or was it ?

The Academy winner is announced on the night, btw. I'm a bit surprised that it's sold out already ( 300 and a bit capacity )

Comment

Tunein Radio

Another foray into non-BBC radio land...a lot more promising than previous forays

Tunein Radio has aggregated, sorted and standardised....

http://tunein.com/search/?id=c57954&filter=live:

I've installed the app on my mobile Apple & Android devices and it's easy to use and reliable.
                            The question is, as ever, the content.
                            For me, there is still nothing to match the combined might of Wo3/WR/LJ - but if you want to listen to a particular local sub-genre of WM there are mighty fine stations.

Also quite interesting to search on a station like (Paul's favourite) WFMU and find that not only is WFMU there, but also that other stations are suggested...not sure they are accurate recommendations but TuneIn seem to have a lot of choice (is that always a good thing?)

If I find any gems I'll post them here - maybe you could do the same...

Comment

After Sunday's WR, with Banning's rather hasty run through the current music trends in Cairo I followed the link to the Afropop weekly show - I've struggled to get the shows to work on my system, but there are some interesting looking programmes archived in there. Given the Opika Pende African 78s release this looks like one worth a listen, so I'll be continuing to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                After Sunday's WR, with Banning's rather hasty run through the current music trends in Cairo...
                                He's got a website you know?
                                http://www.banningeyre.com/

and a rather interesting looking book...

Comment

Working...
                                X