Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John - I will listen to that. Ian turns up in some unexpected places. Being a piece about music, it dovetails quite well with the competition for writing a poem on a Proms performance. - Lat.

Comment

John,

How do his valeting skills compare with the dj'in ?

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
        John,

How do his valeting skills compare with the dj'in ?

He's very thorough and I have always found him competitively priced - but he keeps stopping to give you a wee tune!

Comment

He's quite a comic Paul!

Comment

Terrifying !
            Have all copies been rounded up, I wonder ?

Comment

Being at a loose end waiting to go out on Saturday I dropped in on Loose Ends on Radio 4 for 10 minutes - I heard 'rising star' Fatoumata Diawara who was OK without being particularly distinctive, though it's hard on that show since performers tend to get only one song. However I was drawn to this upcoming two-parter on R4, starting this Saturday morning called Taboo De Doo - A History of Musical Political Incorrectness - they interviewed Terrence Blacker who presents it.
              Terence Blacker explores politically incorrect music over the last century.

....though why the blurb suggests it's surprising that Randy Newman makes an appearance is a surprise to me.......might sound more interesting than it actually turns out to be.

Comment

Check out Bou Jeloud here

Here's another one that nearly slipped through the net, from that other World Music station, r4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011zldd

The master musicians of Joujouka.

However I'd like to disagree with the description of this as the 'first World Music' album, it is a very BBC trait to try and affix a neat label to what has actually been an evolutionary process.

imo there is a programme out there to be made on this topic - for example, some of the 'novelty' records of the 50's (and earlier) were in fact simply 'local' music (for example, calypso) being exposed to a world audience, in a laborious way via vinyl.

Comment

Thanks - I shall be looking that one out - however apropos of not very much except that I occasionally delve into these things, here's a programme from Beeb 2 Scotland from last night about Scottish words - there's some good ones in there though it is a bit Central Belt-ish.

Celebrating the warmth, wit and grit of the Scots language from 'fankle' to 'stramash'.

Comment

Live today at 10 on that well-known champion of Folk Music station, r2, are The Imagined Village.

And that S*xsmith feller that seems to interest a couple of other posters.
                    Last edited by Globaltruth; 22-06-11, 07:00. Reason: Dropped comma. Shocking

Comment

[QUOTE=Globaltruth;63317]Here's another one that nearly slipped through the net, from that other World Music station, r4

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b011zldd

The master musicians of Joujouka.

[QUOTE]
                      Thanks Global - thoroughly enjoyed this show - apparently they're at Glasto this week - the R4 programme was from about ten years back - one of the highlights was them singing the song written in celebration of Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. Wonder if this film ever saw the light of day?
                      Preview of forthcoming film (in production) of the The Master Musicians of Joujouka Brian Jones 40th Anniversary Festival 2008 directed by Daragh McCarthy.I...
                      Last edited by johncorrigan; 22-06-11, 15:03. Reason: lost a bracket somewhere and the shelf collapsed!

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        Live today at 10 on that well-known champion of Folk Music station, r2, are The Imagined Village.

And that S*xsmith feller that seems to interest a couple of other posters.
                        Didn't realise they were playing together Ron & Chris doing a Dylan number and Eliza singing Wayfaring Stranger with those other girls...a rare bit of Imagination from r2. :cool2:

I'll just nip onto the r2 MB's to see what people think of it. I may be gone for quite some while.
                        Last edited by Globaltruth; 23-06-11, 13:18.

Comment

Hey Paul, with your interests in all things Argie (footie in particular), you may well be interested in the final item on today's 'From Our Own Correspondent - probably about five or six minutes from the end. It's nice to consider a corresponding thing happening over here.
                          Kate Adie introduces reporters around the world telling their stories.

Comment

>>>And it's been a sad week for supporters of the Argentine football club River Plate. Their team failed to win at the weekend and it's been relegated to a lower division. But isn't football just a game? Daniel Schweimler, who's in Buenos Aires, says no. In Argentina, it's much more than that!

John, thanks, I'll listen in to that.

It's just a coincidence that after we watched a River Plate game that the legendary team are relegated for the first time in their 110 year history

Btw, I watched the whole of the extraordinary second half of the match against Belgrano de Cordoba via the web.
                            It was a Monumental riot !
                            PLEASE LIKE AND FAVOURITE THIS VIDEOMariano Pavone MISSES PENALTY! Legendary club River Plate was relegated to the Argentine second division for the first ti...

Comment

Is there a BBC radio show about this anywhere in the schedules?

Hopefully the answer is 'there will be'

Irrespective of religious beliefs this should be wonderful...but I can't get to it

http://mif.co.uk/event/sacred-sites/

Candi Staton and Dya Singh? why not...
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 05-07-11, 17:16. Reason: too many i's

Comment

Working...
                              X